Are Accents Really Necessary in Comics?

• 63 results
#51 Posted by victoriancuckoo (228 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind it but sometimes it does feel forced

#52 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that accents are really important in comic books, especially if it deals with a character who is from another country because they make the characters truly unique from the other comic book characters. I really loved Rogue and Gambit's accents because it made both of them sound so unique and interesting. I also loved hearing Colossus' Russian accent, especially when he says "Da" in a way of saying "Yes."

#53 Posted by PowerHerc (85113 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, if it helps enhance the identity of the character.

#54 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Like quite a few others on here - its mostly Rogue and Gambit's characters that I think of when it comes to accents. I read them with accents (not consistently but enough that as a kid I learned that "Ah" meant "I" and that "Dat" meant "That") and although initially found it distracting - find that it's a big part of who they are. Reading little bubbles with straight English just makes them both OOC sounding.

#55 Posted by Vance Astro (91297 posts) - - Show Bio

I would rather a bad accent than Old English. 

#56 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

The font characters speak in is also very important too.

#57 Posted by BlackArmor (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

Well not every talks the same so yes. yes they are

#58 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jake Fury said:

Anyone remember Wolverine's accent from Spider-Man & His Amazing friends? He sounded French-Canadian.

Ahahahahahaha I actually thought he sounded more Australian. All the X-Men's voices seemed little off in their appearances in that show, but then again that's voice acting twenty years ago.

#59 Posted by RazzaTazz (9680 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro

So you find this kind of terrifying then?  

#60 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

has anyone seen the Pryde of the X-men pilot? I could barely stand watching it just because of Wolverine's idiotic Canadian accent

Aaaaaaand 7 months later.... Wolverine's accent in Pryde of X-Men was Aussie, not Canadian. Ironic cause years later Jackman played that canuck.

#61 Posted by Vance Astro (91297 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
@Vance Astro

So you find this kind of terrifying then?  

Sure, why not.
#62 Posted by jhazzroucher (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely love Rogue's accent.

#63 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11267 posts) - - Show Bio

Well am Scouse, and I have a very unique accent. So, yes. Accent is very important to me. And they can give more of an identity to the character you're reading.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.