Follow

Rogue

Character » Rogue appears in 6624 issues.

The adopted daughter of Mystique, Rogue was once a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Now reformed, Rogue has become a veteran member of the X-Men.

Anybody else want Rogue to get her Ms.Marvel powers back?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I must have missed something because I thought Rogue had permanently absorbed Ms.Marvel's powers and would always have them in addition to being able to drain other's powers. But now all I see her doing is borrowing everyone's powers like Hope. Personally I liked it when she could borrow powers but still was invulnerable and could fly. I do like that she can have control over absorbing others powers so that she can have physical contact but I still miss the original power set. Maybe its just me but does anyone else miss it?

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

@hawk2916: I kinda miss it, but mostly just because of how being a tank seemed to suit her personality.

But I really think her using her actual powers is more interesting, so I don't really miss it. She can usually still get those powers anyway.

On the X-men she can have telepathy, telekinesis, weather control, immunity to electricity and extreme temperatures, intangibility, and/or vampire powers (heightened senses, speed, strength, flight, teleportation(?), and a healing factor), any combination of which is more interesting than Captain Marvel's powers.

And then on the Avengers she's got even more powers to choose from. Even just seeing her kick ass with Cap's powers would be cool, but she could also have any combination of his powers, Havok's, Wasp's, Thor's, Sunfire's, Wolverine's, or Power-man's. hey, why not have her using some of Power-man's power all the time, since he doesn't use it that much anyway? but, again, any combination of which would be cooler than Captain Marvel's powers.

And I kind of like that she has different powers depending on which team she's on.

I guess sometimes she might only have the power to read people's minds by touching them (if there's no one with powers around), which is limiting; but then she just has to be more crafty, and that's cool too.

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Honestly, I think Rogue can be quite a bit of fun with her Ms. Marvel powers but it would be a bit of a bizarre retrograde for her to return to them. They were stolen powers and that got resolved and we've moved on. It just doesn't make sense to go backwards and honestly, in terms of story she should've lost those powers far sooner than she did.

Its like Jean Grey/other characters dying being feverishly requested to be resurrected. They were fun during their hey day, but let's move on now.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

@oldnightcrawler: She also seems able to absorb skills as well. In X-Men issue for she referred absorbing Betsy's ninja skills then actually seemed to use them.

The vampire angle is something I haven't thought of. It'd be great to see her fang out on someone after absorbing Jubilee's power. Just keep the kiddo away.

She could also absorb powers and abilities from enemies.

@hawk2916 said:

I must have missed something because I thought Rogue had permanently absorbed Ms.Marvel's powers and would always have them in addition to being able to drain other's powers. But now all I see her doing is borrowing everyone's powers like Hope. Personally I liked it when she could borrow powers but still was invulnerable and could fly. I do like that she can have control over absorbing others powers so that she can have physical contact but I still miss the original power set. Maybe its just me but does anyone else miss it?

To answer your question... somewhat, but I'm okay with it.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: She also seems able to absorb skills as well. In X-Men issue for she referred absorbing Betsy's ninja skills then actually seemed to use them.

The vampire angle is something I haven't thought of.

For some reason it's the first thing I thought of when I saw who was in this book, which makes me think they'll save it for when it would be some kind of a big deal.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Better yet-- I think everyone misses Rogue from how she was in TAS.
    Give us the Green and Gold suit, the spunky southern bell tank who uses kisses to attack! :D

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I miss this Rogue, too. It is cool that she can control her powers now, though, and it's interesting that not having Ms. Marvel's requires her to be smarter.

No Caption Provided

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryagan said:

I miss this Rogue, too. It is cool that she can control her powers now, though, and it's interesting that not having Ms. Marvel's requires her to be smarter.

yeah. And to use her own powers, which are actually more interesting.

Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

I do like that she can have control over absorbing others powers so that she can have physical contact but I still miss the original power set. Maybe its just me but does anyone else miss it?

Not really. Her powers are incredibly versatile as they are and can make for VERY interesting stories. When she had the Ms. Marvel powerset, she was just another flying brick.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

i did miss the 90s rogue , but... im getting used to the current rogue especially since she can do this

No Caption Provided

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Once Carol Danvers came back in a big way, it was kinda redundant to have somebody else with her exact powers around. I liked it when they nixed them. They left that redundancy in place for too long.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

When did she lose Ms. Marvel's powers in the first place?

yin666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yin666
    @xwraith said:

When did she lose Ms. Marvel's powers in the first place?

Rogue lost all of her powers waaay back in 2002 during X-Treme X-Men and only her natural absorption powers returned. So it's been over a decade now that Rogue has not had Ms. Marvel's powers.

I couldn't agree with you more @oldnightcrawler! I don't really miss her Ms. Marvel powers either. Sure, they suited her well and we got to enjoy her with them for 2 decades, but she is much more interesting making full use of her absorption abilities. She can bring something different to the table in every book she appears in instead of just being the same old bruiser all the time like all of the other bruisers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@yin666: If I had to guess, they got rid of the Ms. Marvel powers so as not to confuse people who were only picking up the comics because of the movies.

ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ThanoStomp

No. Marvel has a tough time depicting Ms. Marvel with her own powers. She should be a top-tier powerhouse, but doesn't get that treatment very often. No need to duplicate the poor portrayal with Rogue.

yin666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yin666

@xwraith said:

@yin666: If I had to guess, they got rid of the Ms. Marvel powers so as not to confuse people who were only picking up the comics because of the movies.

Isnt' that what Ultimate X-Men was for? If I had to guess, Chris Claremont (the creator of Rogue and the one who wrote the X-Treme X-Men story arc that stripped Rogue of her powers) was just trying to do something dramatic to top off his run on the book.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Marvel has a tough time depicting Ms. Marvel with her own powers. She should be a top-tier powerhouse, but doesn't get that treatment very often. No need to duplicate the poor portrayal with Rogue.

they treat ms marvel as a mid-powerhouse because that's what she is,hundreds of characters have the same power set as her but on a much higher level,she is powerful,yes,but she is not on top of the chart in any category,strength and durability goes to she-hulk,speed and energy powers,goes to photo,silver surfer and others,ms marvel is not on top of the charts with any of her powers,ao she is what she is,a mid powerhouse,that's why she has binary,then she becomes a full powerhouse.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 SC  Moderator

I miss her with those powers a lot, but there are not many situations where I think she could benefit from those powers. Rogue has been without her Ms Marvel powers for a long long time. I mean there were times when she sort of had them, then she ad X-Treme recall abilities, Sunfire's abilities before losing all of them and getting a soft reset powerwise.

Then Mike Carey worked on her character for a bit, where she grew and matured and gained a bit of wisdom. She use to be a bit of a hothead who rushed into situations too fast and without checking with team mates, and that was a great crux to have for a character as powerful as her who could gain even more power just by touching team mates, enemies and so on. Rogue the emotional, stubborn hardhead would rush into battle and half the time fly headfirst into a brick wall or the ground, and the other half she would be awesome and fly straight through a Sentinel's head. It gave whatever team she was in balance.

Rogue is a lot more smarter and wise and mature now, which is a good thing, mentally she is tougher and more disciplined and most importantly she has control of her powers, so she shouldn't be as inherently strong as she use to be, because then her characters powerset would be broken. Remember how awesome she was without powers in the Legacy India arc? Rogue can be just as stubborn, dangerous and wild without powers, she drove a car into a Sentinel heh heh. If a writer wrote her with the levels of skill, control and mental edge she has now, with the power she wielded in the 80's and early 90's either two things will happen? Rogue will end up making most of her team redundant, she'll be too overpowered or the writer will have to write her as stupid, incompetent and just basically underwrite her. I mean its fiction so always creative ways to overcome problems, I suppose they could amp up the X-Men villains to provide a greater threat and make most of them immune to Rogue's absorption or powerful enough to take her out before she can borrow powers from team mates or enemies, but if those enemies can knock out a Ms Marvel level character that easy and fast? The rest of X-Men go be in trouble. They could always make a mega team of X-Men characters? A team where Rogue is among powerhouses, but that has a similar problem in making her even more powerful, plus an X-Men team with Rogue, Iceman, X-Man, Magneto, etc gets a bit too intimidating, especially when Rogue can have all their powers. Then again I suppose a powerful X-Men team could be sent into space with an important space mission? Away from Earth Rogue with old school powers and new attitude and skills could probably work.

I really really depictions of Rogue where she is sassy and awesome smashing and flying through stuff, but I think a good writer can still give us the best of both worlds, like when in the last Children of the Vault story Rogue got super strength and punched one of the COV to kingdom come. Her last Legacy story had her and Mimic shut down a prison riot with a bunch of super villains. Just two X-Men did that by themselves, against like 30 bad guys. Just using temporary absorption powers. I'd worry if a writer tried to give her permanent abilities that included super durability and flying and super speed hah hah, it would just be too much for most writers to write well. Every ten issues she is in she'll probably have a moment similar to her old Ms Marvel days anyway, I mean a few weeks ago she absorbed Wonder Man, a character she couldn't absorb in her first appearance because he is made of ion energy. Rogue's absorption powers are as powerful as ever if she can absorb the powers of energy beings that don't have organic skin!!!?!?! She also absorbed Emplate a few years ago too, when she use to struggle against characters like him.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no i like her now let ms marvel keep her own powers which marvel seems to fluctuate so much.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.