Rocket Raccoon - Marvels 'Ewok'?

#1 Posted by Chaos Burn (1776 posts) - - Show Bio

So Rocket Raccoon is everywhere at the moment, on the first image of Marvels overhaul 'Marvel NOW', scheduled to appear in Marvels space movie 'Guardians of the Galaxy', and most recently, a playable charatcer in Marvels MMO (see below)

So, we have had a slew of acceptable Marvel movies (Captain America, Thor) and some epic ones that have made the comic book counterparts house hold names (Iron Man, theAvengers).

Now Marvel is rolling it's dice and taking it's movie universe (which has succeded in part due to it's grounded nature) into space, or more accurately, the galaxy. In the cast of this movie is Rocket Raccoon, the small, smart mouthed, probably animated raccoon,

But will this move divide Marvel fans, where some (like me) feel the raccoon belongs nowhere in a movie-verse finally taken seriously, or will people relish that the studio have taken this liberty to include characters, story lines, and whole concepts from the comic books, that may seem a little.... silly?

I hope this does not become an instance of the infamous "Ewoks ruined Star Wars?" debate, where little, cuddly creatures with attitude divided core fans

#2 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel's movie-verse is anything but serious, and Rocket is an essential member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Is it possible he will ruin the movie, yes, but its also possible he steals the show much like Hulk did in the Avengers.

#3 Posted by danhimself (22304 posts) - - Show Bio

I think most of people who complain about Rocket haven't really read him....at first glance a talking raccoon seems dumb but he's actually a great character

Online
#4 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

I think most of people who complain about Rocket haven't really read him....at first glance a talking raccoon seems dumb but he's actually a great character

No he isn't.

I don't think he'll ruin the movie; especially not to the degree those damned Ewoks did.

#5 Posted by Illuminatus (9497 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, people need to actually read Abnett/Lanning's run on GotG before knocking Rocky.

#6 Posted by Chaos Burn (1776 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime`: I suppose serious-ness is subjective, and yes, LOTS of the marvel universe has some super-fiction in it, I just think it is one step to far after the chituari, the layman viewer has only just got over the fact that 'aliens' exist in the Marvel Movie-verse

#7 Posted by Heavyshoes (3 posts) - - Show Bio

You do realise they could easily make Rocket Raccoon some kind of small furry alien that simply resembles (albeit more alien) a raccoon?

I like him and I think we need more anthromorphic critters.

#8 Edited by FearTheLiving (2561 posts) - - Show Bio

Like I've said in the past I really don't know anything about GotG but after playing/seeing him in MVC3 & Avengers EMH he totally blew me away, I wasn't expecting him to be so violent. Reminds me of Conker which is not a bad thing, not at all.

As to him ruining the movie-verse I don't think it's fair to judge it before even seeing something from it. If you don't like the concept that's fine but you should always be open to giving it a chance as it may surprise you.

#9 Posted by jloneblackheart (5499 posts) - - Show Bio

Ewoks suck and Rocket is awesome.

If they do it right, he should be badass and funny at the same time. If it's like the books, he'll steal the show.

Moderator
#10 Posted by VenomMelendez (405 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Burn: He was also in Marvel vs Capcom 3 and he was in Avengers:EMH.

And no, he's not like the Ewoks, because he's a badass, which you would know if you read the Guardians comics. He's the member of the team and he's the tactical and weapons expert, so of course he'd be in the movie too.

Besides, the Guardians of the Galaxy movie takes place in space! And Rocket isn't cuddly, he is a killing machine.

#11 Posted by Chaos Burn (1776 posts) - - Show Bio

@VenomMelendez said:

@Chaos Burn: He was also in Marvel vs Capcom 3 and he was in Avengers:EMH.

And no, he's not like the Ewoks, because he's a badass, which you would know if you read the Guardians comics. He's the member of the team and he's the tactical and weapons expert, so of course he'd be in the movie too.

Besides, the Guardians of the Galaxy movie takes place in space! And Rocket isn't cuddly, he is a killing machine.

tbf the Ewoks were pretty badass warriors if I remember correctly.... it's not my opinion of Rocket Raccoon on debate, it's the actual fact that the his character in the movie could divide fans!

#12 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Burn said:

@VenomMelendez said:

@Chaos Burn: He was also in Marvel vs Capcom 3 and he was in Avengers:EMH.

And no, he's not like the Ewoks, because he's a badass, which you would know if you read the Guardians comics. He's the member of the team and he's the tactical and weapons expert, so of course he'd be in the movie too.

Besides, the Guardians of the Galaxy movie takes place in space! And Rocket isn't cuddly, he is a killing machine.

tbf the Ewoks were pretty badass warriors if I remember correctly.... it's not my opinion of Rocket Raccoon on debate, it's the actual fact that the his character in the movie could divide fans!

I don't think that will happen with Rocket, because he has a history of being bad ass and blowing stuff up. Where as the Ewoks had no history and went from being cuddly little furballs that "rescued" (using that term loosely) Laya to stomping out Stormtroopers and Chicken Walkers. Also I don't think there was a division among fans of Star Wars until much later when people started taking scifi seriously.

#13 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

I think most of people who complain about Rocket haven't really read him....at first glance a talking raccoon seems dumb but he's actually a great character

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.