MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MissJ

The Good

ROCKET GIRL, appropriately, rockets directly into action as DaYoung Johansson skips back from 2013 to 1986 on official police business. Her 2013 isn't the one we're currently living, though, and the stage has been set for a serious time-travel adventure.

Back To The Future this is not. Sure, there's a nearly thirty-year time skip, and the mid-eighties play a prominent role, but that's about where the similarities stop. DaYoung is a skilled professional rather than a wild teen, there's no quirky mentor in sight (yet), and this little jaunt through time is about saving the world, not just correcting accidental damage done by amateurs. At the heart of ROCKET GIRL is a crime story -- though it's easy to forget amidst the bright lights and rocket action! -- and I'm expecting DaYoung's adventures to get quite a bit more serious than the Enchantment Under The Sea dance.

Amy Reeder brings DaYoung & Co. to life in a bright, exciting way, and even the crime-riddled '80s are fun to look at. Her future tech is beautifully clean and streamlined, and juxtaposes wonderfully with dirty New York City of the past (notably cool: the scene in which DaYoung perches on a window ledge, repairing her gear). Reeder's faces are expressive and full of energy; we learn quite a bit about the cast from their first appearances, and can tell already who's going to be a quirky, fun ally and who's going to be difficult.

The Bad

It's not yet clear why the NYPD of the future has a teen division, or why they're trusted with timestream-altering cases when older officers might have more education, wisdom, or time-police experience. I'm hoping that this detail will be expanded upon in future issues, and that it's not simply a reader-proxy suggestion for a teen audience.

The Verdict

Time-travel, rockets, and criminal intrigue make for a great high concept, and so far, ROCKET GIRL is poised to be a unique and entertaining series. Eighties nostalgia and future tech combine quite well as the backdrop for an adventure story, and DaYoung's arc is off to a very interesting start. I'll be keeping up with this series for Reeder's art and to find out exactly what happens when time gets altered in this universe.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

dang it! I forgot to get this!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

I bought this for the art. Amy Reeder was great on Madame Xanadu and I wanted to see more of her. My biggest hang up here is the whole teen cop thing. Somehow I find a time cop from the future with a jet pack way more believable than a teen time cop from the future with a jet pack. That part just tips it over the edge for me. I also didn't like how the two cops in Times Square just took orders from her when she landed on the scene. That part took me right out of the story. Overall I really like the plot. Cop sent back in time to investigate crimes perpetrated by a corporation that changes the face of the world. But I don't think I'll pick up the next issue.

skyjumpermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By skyjumpermike

I believe that cops of the future are teens because adults are more corrupt. ps - I love the art.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was that bit about the other time cop building up his pension and being almost 20. It seems they retire from the force once they're done being teens.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I bought this because it's an Image #1. Cannae wait to read.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god. That art. Oh my God. So good.

Orwelian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of the Teen cop comment, I live in Tijuana Mexico, in most companies alon the US-Mexico border,

Nobody is hiring above the age of 35, and of the new hires they are not well paid, so maybe Reeder has been around these parts of the world, she dares to call out the things to come. Furthermore Reeder is contemplating a future with a higher level of education, resulting in higher standard of living or that because the Job of being a cop is so stressful and dangerous, cops start as teen and by the time they reach their 20’s they retire in order to avoid exposure to health problems.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gunmetalgrey

@allstarsuperman: Heck, yeah.

I love how it's all the teen without the drama, at least so far.

I was kinda bummed that this month's issue was pushed to mid-March.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@gunmetalgrey: apparently the first arc is 5 issues, its kinda been slow moving imo. Still good though, i am very interested in what's gonna happen next.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mucklefluga: cool, its pretty interesting, leaves you wanting more, imo

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: I kinda like the contrast of the slow plot against the fast-paced action. And yeah, there's gonna be a break after the first arc too. I hope issue #6 won't be too far off after it's done.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Yeah it's still on my pull list, even though issues four and five got pushed back, so I'll probably go back and read all five once I have them. But that art is so good I don't mind waiting.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@allstarsuperman: Loved the art, was pretty lukewarm on the story. Only read the first issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.