UPDATE: Robocop Release Date Pushed Back, Motorbike Revealed In Latest Set Photos

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

About a week ago we got a look at some close up images of actor Joel Kinnaman as Robocop on the set of the upcoming Robocop movie. Those pictures gave us a better look at the costume and the details of the suit and confirmed for us that it is, quite definitely, a big departure from the costume we saw in the 1987 film. Apparently, Robocop will not only be getting a very fancy matte, stylish black suit; but an also very stylish black motorcycle.

While this does remind us a tiny bit of the TRON costume designs (remember the Light Cycles?), and while we don't recommend that this Robocop ride around at night (riding around in all black at night seems dangerous), we have to admit we think it looks kind of cool. What do you think of Robocop's new motorcycle? Check out more images of Kinnaman as Robocop below.

UPDATE

According to a source, the release date for ROBOCOP has been pushed back about six months; moving from August 9th, 2013 to February 7th 2014. Whether the complaints from avid fans online about the costume changes has something to do with the decision made earlier today by Sony Pictures, we don't know. Whatever the case may be, we're willing to wait a little bit longer if it means we'll get a better film. What do you think of the changes?

Robocop is set to hit theaters on on February 7th, 2014 and will star Joel Kinnaman as Robocop, Samuel L. Jackson as Pat Novak, Gary Oldman as Dr. Robert Norton and many more. The film was written by Michael Miner and Edward Neumeier and is being directed by Jose Padilha.

== TEASER ==

Source: Variety and The Daily Mail via INFphoto

#1 Posted by Bull_iod (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, Still not liking this.

#2 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3670 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the ride, still skeptical about the movie..

#3 Posted by Raven575 (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they're going for RoboCop to be more cyborg and less robot. The old RoboCop would never be able to ride a motocyle. His legs and hips don't bend properly for that. In short, this movie should be called Cy-Cop, not RoboCop.

#4 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman called, he wants his bike back.

#5 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@Raven575: Robocop's movements had more to do with the limitations of the costume design than the original intent of the director. Originally Moni Yakim, the head of the Movement Dept at Julliard, was going to help Peter Weller move in a more fluid way, but the restrictive costume led to the choppy slow steps.

#6 Edited by GillaDro (236 posts) - - Show Bio

@Raven575 said:

I think they're going for RoboCop to be more cyborg and less robot. The old RoboCop would never be able to ride a motocyle. His legs and hips don't bend properly for that. In short, this movie should be called Cy-Cop, not RoboCop.

agreed.

He just looks like some dude with black armor on. Robocop was way bigger than that

#7 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Batman with parts of Ironman armor. Why the suit is black??....................................

#8 Posted by k4tzm4n (36417 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope this reboot will be more like Dredd 3D and less like Total Recall

Translation: hopefully this is good and not totally mediocre.

Staff
#9 Posted by Mandrewgora (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

I really hope this reboot will be more like Dredd 3D and less like Total Recall. Translation: hopefully this is good and not totally mediocre.

That is wishing for a lot, but I am right there with you.

#10 Posted by Loki2u (208 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bull_iod said:

Agreed. I didn't enjoy it the first time...and won't be going to the theatres to see this.

#11 Posted by Soldier zero (250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bull_iod said:

@Raven575 said:

Agreed on both counts. While I understand the need to reimagine the character to fit present-day style, this looks too far from the original Robocop design.

#12 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to it!

#13 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I like it :)

#14 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

Still meh

#15 Posted by mightypug78 (338 posts) - - Show Bio

im not saying the bike looks bad but it should be bigger or something, im afraid they're trying to downsize and "sleek" everything as much as they can.

#16 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the original movies as a kid. I even watched the cartoon and the TV series. I have no problem with a remake or the superficial changes to the design. I'm not not thrilled with the idea of a PG-13.

I may still watch this, but only when it comes to DVD.

#17 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

Definelty a rental

#18 Posted by KLAK82 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like halo eva armor.

#19 Posted by blueninjapanther (672 posts) - - Show Bio

I want the ride but not sure of the movie.

#20 Posted by Z3RO180 (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

i like the costume.

#21 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84539 posts) - - Show Bio

They turned Kitt into a Kawasaki

#22 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio

want want want

#23 Posted by HexThis (881 posts) - - Show Bio

Frankly, I didn't even like the original. I always found it depressing, it was almost as though it didn't matter Robocop was brutally murdered...there didn't feel like there was any loss to his transformation.

#24 Posted by Dude4 (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

I really hope this reboot will be more like Dredd 3D and less like Total Recall. Translation: hopefully this is good and not totally mediocre.

Totally agree. Dredd was a really good movie and did the character justice.

Total Recall is another remake that left a lot to be desired.

#25 Posted by AlKusanagi (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow... This is all sorts of terrible. Is it going to be PG? Because all I'm seeing is a movie to push a toy line.

#26 Posted by Dangerloves (6 posts) - - Show Bio

The future looks grim.

#27 Posted by ravisher (670 posts) - - Show Bio

dredd 2.0

#28 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh look, Marvel NOW Ironman is riding a light cycle :/ Hopefully the story is better than the look I say...

#29 Posted by SimonM7 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@HexThis said:

Frankly, I didn't even like the original. I always found it depressing, it was almost as though it didn't matter Robocop was brutally murdered...there didn't feel like there was any loss to his transformation.

Really? I very much disagree. I think there's a palpable sadness to the character in the original film. That's what I suspect will be lacking here. This just looks like they're making a AWESOME CYBER NINJA YEAAAHHH!! and less like they're taking into account the tragic nature of the lumbering, mechanical shadow of a man that the original Robocop was depicted as.

#30 Posted by jwalser3 (4796 posts) - - Show Bio

:(

I think this is going to be awful.

#31 Posted by HexThis (881 posts) - - Show Bio

@SimonM7 said:

@HexThis said:

Really? I very much disagree. I think there's a palpable sadness to the character in the original film. That's what I suspect will be lacking here. This just looks like they're making a AWESOME CYBER NINJA YEAAAHHH!! and less like they're taking into account the tragic nature of the lumbering, mechanical shadow of a man that the original Robocop was depicted as.

Yeah, I was a little harsh. In thinking about it, that scene when Robocop is born but his original identity dies you are really sad for him. I guess my complaint is that the triumph in the end doesn't feel like enough, even at his best Robocop is a shell of what he once was but that's arguably more poignant and profound if that resonates with you. I guess it's just not my taste but it doesn't mean it's bad.

I don't get the reboot-happy state movies are in as a whole. If you're talking about Batman, well, Batman is flexible because he's always a staple in pop culture for many generations but Robocop is very 80's-specific. Even with Batman people are already saying in a few years they'll reboot the franchise which is stupider than stupid. We've definitely lost our sense of taste and subtlety in movies these days, executives seem to think we're stupid and can't recall the original, don't know it's strengths, and want it to be improved upon somehow.

Movies are like alcohol these days. Trilogies are like cocktails- One takes the edge off, the next gets you tipsy, and the third is either a nice nightcap or makes a fool of you for drinking it. Reboots, on the other hand, are like going from champagne to straight up vodka- ALL TOO MUCH.

#32 Posted by CommanderZx2 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of the design, but I'll wait for a trailer before judging it.

#33 Posted by doombot890 (215 posts) - - Show Bio

this looks so generic! is this version of robocop going to be in the same universe as eureka and warehouse 13? will Felicia Day make an appearance at the end?

#34 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't have thought much about the all black design if it wasn't for the "riding at night" comment in the article now that's all i'll be able to think of.

Never saw the original, watched the cartoon some which was pretty laughable given the amount of gadgets he'd pull out of his body though I remember a few good scenes where he was feeling consumed by the technology and loosing his humanity.

Cyborg Ninja does seem a pretty accurate way to describe this.

#35 Posted by firecracker22 (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I think if they're going with this...iCop angle, then it all looks very appropriate. From the viral marketing video we saw online a while back, I think it looks like they'll be going for that same satire about corporations. Except, back then the joke about things being worth so much money but looking bulky isn't relevant anymore.

So, going for the sleek design make sense if they're going for the more relevant angle of making fun of a corporations that iterates on it's products by slimming it down, making it sleeker, etc.

The suit work is working for me. Before, Murphy looked like a dude in a heavy armored suit. Now, Murphy looks like a dude in an armored suit. The visor looks great, too. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm optimistic about this working. Hopefully it does. I'll be looking forward to some of the performances, at the very least.

#36 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

HE NEEDS A POLICE BADGE OR IT ISNT ROBOCOP! He's just Roboring...

#37 Posted by ThomasElliot (360 posts) - - Show Bio

@AlKusanagi said:

Wow... This is all sorts of terrible. Is it going to be PG? Because all I'm seeing is a movie to push a toy line.

THIS

#38 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

So far so good.

#39 Posted by Saturnus (8 posts) - - Show Bio

It sure looks like more a video game power armor instead of a robotic prosthesis.

I wonder what else they will do to 'modernize' this.....remake the iconic theme song into some dubstep crap?

#40 Posted by Migz13 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate the haters... I think this looks pretty good:D

#41 Posted by Cynn (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@Raven575: Murphy finds your lack of faith in his hips disturbing.

#42 Posted by Noctis (1396 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the new costume, I hope they keep it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.