Robocop Gets Rebooted with Director Targeting Michael Fassbender

• 71 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

In a recent interview with the Brasilian television network, Globo, director Jose Padilha confirmed that he will be directing the upcoming Robocop movie. Padilha, who has been scripting Robocop, hopes to begin filming starting sometime in January, February or March, 2012. The following has been translated from Portuguese below.

== TEASER ==
Interviewer: Are you going to be filming a new Robocop and if so what will your direction be for the film?
Jose Padilha: I'm doing Robocop. I'm doing a script. The co-writer is here with me now in Rio, and on Tuesday we'll be leaving for Los Angeles. We're planning to start shooting in February or March. This is the idea, you never know if what will happen with American cinema, however. You don't know if it will conflict with the actors' schedules.
I: Who are you looking to cast in 'Robocop'?
JP: I can't really talk about that, [laughs] It's too early to tell. There are a lot of actors I would like [for the role]. I really like [Michael] Fassbender, I will be talking to him about possibly working with him soon. There are various actors that I think would be good in the role. The idea is to film sometime in January, February, March.
I: Will you be including any Brazilian actors/actresses in the film?
JP: No. This Robocop is a reboot. This is a recreation of the character, like the way they re-created Batman. We are writing it starting from the beginning...The story will be set in Detroit so...I already know what my next project will be, it's Robocop and I've been working on that for the last year.

Additionally, a recent interview with Padilha cited that the film will be steering away from Verhoeven's vision in the original Robocop film and will focus more on the psychological aspect of a man who becomes a robot. An excerpt from that interview, translated from Dutch, is below.

I love the sharpness and political tone of [the original] RoboCop, and I think that such a film is now urgently needed. But I will not repeat what Verhoeven has done so clearly and strongly. Instead, I will try to make a film that will address topics that Verhoeven [only touched on]. If you are a man who changes into a robot, what is that like? What is the difference between humans and robots? What is free will? What does it mean to lose your free will? Those are the issues that I want to address.

What do you think of a reboot of the Robocop movie? Do you think that Michael Fassbender would make a good Robocop?

#1 Posted by _jackbauer (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy shit! Awesome!

#2 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds pretty kick-ass, although Fassbender is pretty much rumoured for every hot role nowadays...

#3 Posted by longbowhunter (6804 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Micheal Fassbender would be good in anything.
#4 Posted by ComicStooge (12045 posts) - - Show Bio

NO! Fassbender is too damn good looking to be a stupid robot!

#5 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

fassbender as murphy? AWESOME

#6 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Bout freaking time.

#7 Posted by danhimself (22302 posts) - - Show Bio

a new Robocop with today's tech....that just sounds like WIN to me

#8 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

robo needs no reboot x-men needs a reboot more then robo but we will see what happens.

#9 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1817 posts) - - Show Bio

Michael Fassbender as Robocop... I like it. I think the role suits him well. :) 

#10 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

YES PLEASE!!!! Michael Fassbender would be great as Robocop!!

#11 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Gee...another reboot. Clearly, Hollywood needs us to keep buying $15 movie tickets to fuel this kind of creativity.

Ah hell, I'll probably still see it...twice.

#12 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey maybe now we'll finally get Robocop VS Terminator out of this reboot!!!!!

#13 Edited by The Poet (8291 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm...not to be agianst robocop, but can't we see something...you know? NEW?

#14 Posted by ninjacommando (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of Robocop to be honest.

#15 Posted by The Impersonator (5067 posts) - - Show Bio

The first classic Robocop movie will be always better than the reboot.

#16 Posted by gethere (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it me or are there a lot of 80s franchises that are being rebooted or remade lately, I mean it cool that all of these things are coming back, but it seems to me to be a trend.

#17 Posted by NightFang (9904 posts) - - Show Bio

@ninjacommando said:

Hang the nonbeliever!

#18 Posted by HexThis (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would Fassbender want to hide under a big clunky pile of armor portraying a mind-numbingly stoic character? I have a feeling he won't be convinced.

To me, Robocop is one of those movies that just doesn't need to be remade. How much more complicated and intricate could it possibly be? They said everything they needed to with the first movie. One day they're going to look back in history and see American cinema, which now routinely re-makes everything, and think of it as a very dark, pathetic time in cinematic history.

#19 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Robocop

#20 Posted by movieartman (995 posts) - - Show Bio
@ninjacommando
then why did u even bother opening the page and commenting 
whining just to whine?
#21 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

@movieartman: I thought that was what internet forums were for. I made a positive comment on one once and it fried my hard drive.

#22 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

How the hell is this possibly going to be remade? The whole concept of this movie is ridiculous...

(Not implying that I don't love the idea, by the way...)

#23 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

they better make Robocop walk a little faster in this one. How the hell can catch anyone, it's like the Mummy from the 50's chasing you.

#24 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4692 posts) - - Show Bio

Michael Fassbender is an ideal choice, but Paul Bettany could play a cold Robocop.

#25 Posted by GraveSp (318 posts) - - Show Bio

@ninjacommando said:

I kinda agree. I liked the movie, but honestly I didn't like it enough to be upset by this or really excited. I'll probably see it, but its not going to be something like Dark Knight Rises that I'm going to be following every stage of production

#26 Edited by RiddlingGambit (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet. I love me some Robocop. Michael Fassbender was good as Magneto, I'm sure he can pull off a good Robocop.

#27 Posted by thephantomstranger (129 posts) - - Show Bio
"If you are a man who changes into a robot, what is that like? What is the difference between humans and robots? What is free will? What does it mean to lose your free will? Those are the issues that I want to address."

I don't see this as an original idea or one that he's actually going to go for...this will just be a straight action movie starring Fassbender's chin...

#28 Posted by LONGTIME (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Reboot Robocop... turrible idea.

#29 Posted by AngeTheDude (157 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm down for this if it's going to be totally different from the original.

#30 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

I do like this news, and the approach he's planning on taking :)

#31 Posted by Migz13 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say I'm a bit iffy about them REBOOTING Robocop because it has always been a classic for me. If they really are DEAD SERIOUS about rebooting it... they better make it good. They better make it REAL good. Fassbender in the lead role seems.... interesting actually.

#32 Posted by xanthiss (177 posts) - - Show Bio

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!" --LOL

#33 Posted by MintBerryCrunch (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto as Robocop???

#34 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! Nice approach but to be honest the psychological approach is becoming quite cliche nowadays. But in rebooting a classic such as this, maybe its just what is needed to make up for the total abortion that Robocop 3 was back in the 1990s. Yeah, you all remember that right? Me neither, lol.

#35 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Robocop is terrible and a career killer.

#36 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm super pumped to see how they modernize this bestie and Michael Fassbender is amazing and perfect for this!

#37 Posted by jumpstart55 (2268 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Robocop sucks.I hope this remake looks alot better then that lame ass toaster, from the origanl one.

#38 Posted by FireNationVulcanSith (7 posts) - - Show Bio

omg omg omg! RoboMagneto! lol! how epic would that be!?!?!?!?

#39 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew this was going to happen... lol

#40 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

no no no noNO!!! i cant believe they're bringing this CRAP back!! GOD IT SUCKED!!! it looked like a retard with the headplate on the outside!!!! do something good hollywood dont recycle stuff

#41 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

i would not mind seeing Hugh Jackman take a shot at the Robocop role hes a good actor.

#42 Posted by Korialstrasz (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Do not touch the classic! There is so much new ideas!

#43 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

it's not a classic. it's a bargain bin reject. and NO ACTOR should play this unless he WANTS TO END HIS CAREER. MAGS DONT DO IT, UR BETTER THEN THE MUMMY WITH TIN FOIL!!

#44 Posted by Z3RO180 (6331 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahh crap now i need to go watch the originals to get ready for the awesome remake...tis a hard life we movie lovers have =)

#45 Posted by MagmaGazer (108 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice one!

#46 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Poet said:

hmm...not to be agianst robocop, but can't we see something...you know? NEW?

This^
#47 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1668 posts) - - Show Bio

Oops...my name is Hollywood and I'm out of cool ideas! Nah...just messing with you Hollywood...you know I'll give you my money for this one...

#48 Posted by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

The sequels always put's me to sleep.

"If you are a man who changes into a robot, what is that like? What is the difference between humans and robots? What is free will? What does it mean to lose your free will? Those are the issues that I want to address."

Go play Deus Ex then. Here's a taste.

#49 Posted by sladewilson30 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good actor, but can he imitate the Peter Weller robot voice?

#50 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

Will have to be better than the third sequel and the upteen feature films that followed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.