Who was Batman's Partner the Longest?

Posted by DomDom (998 posts) - - Show Bio

A question that my sister and I have been disputing over for a while now. 
 

Alright so Dick Grayson would seem like the logical choice, right?  But in Batman Return of Bruce Wayne #5, Tim Drake claims: "I was Batman's partner longer then anyone else."  Buuuut how can that technically be if Tim started out as Robin at the age of (14?) which ended in him becoming Red Robin at (17?).  That'd be around 4 years in the "R"-suit, where as, Dick became Robin at a much younger age and was...(fired/retired/graduated) at about (18? or so). 
 
Jason wasn't Robin long at all, so...it's not him. 
The girls...lasted about a few weeks...days... 
Damian's hasn't been robin that long yet, so he doesn't count. 
 
So what we'd like to know is the (Boy Robins) exact age at Becoming Robin and exact age at Giving up the mantal. 
Who was really the longest Robin???
#1 Posted by Tim_Drake4444 (1086 posts) - - Show Bio

It was Kal-El.... Yea, I said it.

#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13618 posts) - - Show Bio
@DomDom said:

A question that my sister and I have been disputing over for a while now. 
 
Alright so Dick Grayson would seem like the logical choice, right?  But in Batman Return of Bruce Wayne #5, Tim Drake claims: "I was Batman's partner longer then anyone else."  Buuuut how can that technically be if Tim started out as Robin at the age of (14?) which ended in him becoming Red Robin at (17?).  That'd be around 4 years in the "R"-suit, where as, Dick became Robin at a much younger age and was...(fired/retired/graduated) at about (18? or so).  Jason wasn't Robin long at all, so...it's not him. The girls...lasted about a few weeks...days... Damian's hasn't been robin that long yet, so he doesn't count.  So what we'd like to know is the (Boy Robins) exact age at Becoming Robin and exact age at Giving up the mantal. Who was really the longest Robin???
it was probably retconned during the infinite crisis
#3 Posted by Enzeru--defunct (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

The writers don't bother anymore to look back at previous story-telling. The simply continue, write well known characters out of character, use PIS whenever they can, to make the fights "more interesting", but mostly produce only crap in order to "shock" the readers.
 
I wouldn't be bothering about questions like yours.
You should ask yourself with which bad events we need to deal in the future. Well at least in the Marvel universe.
DC just had the reboot and I'm optimistic.

#4 Posted by KainScion (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

dick put up with the nut way longer than timmy boy. RECOGNIZE!!!

#5 Posted by The Poet (8156 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm...that is an interesting question...
 
My vote is for Dick because he was "boy wonder" and then "teen wonder", but as X-bolt said that might have been reconned due to one of the crisis-es

Moderator
#6 Posted by The Stegman (25968 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically...Alfred was his longest partner

#7 Posted by Kairan1979 (16926 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
Technically...Alfred was his longest partner
My thoughts exactly.
#8 Posted by DomDom (998 posts) - - Show Bio
@KainScion
That's what i thought! =) 
 
@The Stegman: 
haha, Yes! I believe you're right, lol. 
#9 Posted by saturnssailor (102 posts) - - Show Bio

Author mistake.  
Even if you want to claim that Tim started at 13 he still quit before he was a legal adult so he gets 5 years maximum. 
Dick started when he was 12 and was Robin for part of college so if you want to call ending age 18 that still 6 years minimum.

#10 Posted by entropy_aegis (15434 posts) - - Show Bio
@saturnssailor said:
Author mistake.  Even if you want to claim that Tim started at 13 he still quit before he was a legal adult so he gets 5 years maximum. Dick started when he was 12 and was Robin for part of college so if you want to call ending age 18 that still 6 years minimum.
Nope there was no mistake,Tim was surrounded by Starfire,Congorilla,etc.So yes compared to the other people in the room at that time he DID know Bruce the longest.
#11 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@Enzeru said:
The writers don't bother anymore to look back at previous story-telling. The simply continue, write well known characters out of character, use PIS whenever they can, to make the fights "more interesting", but mostly produce only crap in order to "shock" the readers.  I wouldn't be bothering about questions like yours. You should ask yourself with which bad events we need to deal in the future. Well at least in the Marvel universe. DC just had the reboot and I'm optimistic.
I know of only one writer who has bothered to study a character's previous run and other incorporated comics; Majorie Liu. Marvel is incredibly lucky to have her.
#12 Posted by WizardShazam (49 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

Technically...Alfred was his longest partner
#13 Posted by slick23 (460 posts) - - Show Bio
@WizardShazam said:

@The Stegman said:

Technically...Alfred was his longest partner
Or those bats in his cave? only Batman know how he doesnt go insane w/ his bat friends....
#14 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7828 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred was his longest partner 
 
But in terms of crimefighting, mentally, physically, Dick Grayson's always been by Batman

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (58295 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred then Dick. 

BB

#16 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

Alfred then Dick. 

BB

#17 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7828 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

Alfred then Dick. 

BB

#18 Posted by Kiddevil (7477 posts) - - Show Bio

alfred then s-man
#19 Posted by ComicStooge (13828 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Tim started being Robin when he was 12.

Online
#20 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred is the trick answer, lol. But when I thought about it, before actually reading the blog I was thinking like this: In RL time Tim was Batman's partner for longer, or at least it seems that way because most of the time Dick was with Batman as Robin (I think even all) was pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths, thus it allows us to have the illusion that Tim was a Robin for really long. Though I think this means it was probably a retcon, so that RL time equates Comic Book time.

#21 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred!! No, talking seriously Dick I think

  • Dick: 4 years
  • Jason: 1 or 2
  • Tim: 3
  • Steph: 3 months or less :D
  • Damian: 1 or 2 (not sure at all)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.