Which Robin would make the best Batman?

#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I know the debate has always been "who's the best Robin" or "which is the best character," but out of Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damien, which would be the best possible replacement should Bruce Wayne die or quit the title?

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim would be the best, imo.

Moderator
#3 Edited by SmashBrawler (5731 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought Damian made a fantastic successor. Sure, he was really violent, but that's one of the reasons I liked him as Batman!

Not to mention that his origin story sounds really cool when put this way:

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12759 posts) - - Show Bio

 Tim  would be the most suitable successor for Batman. I think that detail is a major part of his character actually.

#5 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick Grayson.

#6 Edited by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: Could you repost that picture

Oh yeah, and Tim Drake obviously, Batman has even said it before.

#7 Posted by Squalleon (4608 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim Drake! He was a junior Bruce pre-52.

Dick and Damian should adopt their own identities not follow Bruce!

As for Jason...he isn't hero material!

Online
#8 Posted by SmashBrawler (5731 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueArrow: Done

#9 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim.

Dick said he'd be a better Batman than him.

Damien is way to aggressive. He wouldn't hesitate to kill somebody. That's why I read DC, because they do their best not to kill. Marvel's answer to everything. Just kill them and bring them back next year.

#10 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's sole mission is to restore and maintain order in Gotham City. Here's the way I see it while I dissect the candidates with that in mind:

Dick Grayson

  • Dick has had the most years of experience as a solo superhero, and has had the most personal training by Bruce Wayne. He is a very talented leader (has lead the Teen Titans, Titans, and even the JLA at one point) and his detective skill is above average (not nearly as gifted as Tim, but much better than Jason and Damien). He also works very well with others, as even Damien Wayne, arguably one of the most difficult kids to deal with, readily followed him into combat when Dick briefly wore the cowl. As the main defender of Gotham City, I think he would do a fine job, but I fear that he'd try too hard to live up to his mentor. He has had some experience in the cowl itself, maintained a fine relationship to Jim Gordon, and had an obvious passion for the title. While the idea of a smiling, happy-go-lucky Batman is unsettling to me, Dick would be a great replacement should Bruce die/quit, however, I feel he is better suited to be his own hero.

Jason Todd

  • At a first glance, Jason would be a terrible candidate to don the cowl. He's stubborn, he's a killer, and he's unwilling to work with people who disagree with him. Why on earth should he get the cowl? To me, maybe his methods might just be what the criminals in Gotham deserve. If Jason killed someone like Joker, just how would the criminal organizations in Gotham handle it? Would they fear him? Respect him? Throw all their firepower at him? I have no idea. I do feel that if Jason had the title, he would go out of his way to kill the rogues that call Arkham their home, and he'd work with the drug lords to have a reasonable trade route to maintain peace within those territories. While his methods aren't like Bruce's at all, he knows that ridding Gotham of crime is impossible, so by doing those things previously mentioned, maybe some sort of order would be brought throughout the city. Or maybe he'd just go on a rampage, kill everyone, get rid of the GCPD, be the top cop of Gotham, and rule things like some sort of psycho-tyrant. Jason wouldn't be a suitable replacement due to his unpredictability and questionable methods, but I'd love to see an elseworlds story tackle that subject.

Damien Wayne

  • The son of Batman himself and one of the most powerful organizations in the DCU: The League of Shadows. Since birth, Damien has been raised to kill his father and replace the Batman title, which is exactly what this thread is about. He's extremely intelligent, an almost perfect hand to hand combatant, and will kill if necessary. How would he not be the perfect candidate to restore and maintain order in Gotham? When it boils down to it, the kid is a loner. He will not tolerate anyone's hand trying to help him if they offer it. This includes Jim Gordon, or any of the few good cops within the GCPD. Furthermore, his family ties are questionable and could be a major problem in the long run. How do we know that Ra's doesn't have something up his sleeve that will make Damien into his own little puppet? Just playing Devil's Advocate here. In reality, his methods are just what Gotham might need. There's a line that some criminals have to pass before I feel that they should be killed, and Damien, much like Jason, understand that line, and how far someone like Joker have crossed it. While I do feel that he'd be an excellent hero in his own right, the Batman name is something I just don't see him pursuing, regardless of how good he just might or might not be for the part.

Tim Drake

  • Tim, in my opinion, is the best detective in the DCU. To find out who Batman is all on your own when you're a kid is an accomplishment that geniuses like Edward Nygma could never do. He's an Olympic-level athlete that is either on par or just barely exceeds that of Dick Grayson himself. He's been known to be a great strategist under pressure, which is something Bruce Wayne is notorious for. Bruce himself has stated that this kid is perfect to don the cowl, and even Nightwing agrees. There isn't a single con I can think of that would suggest that Drake couldn't be Gotham's Dark Knight. Tim is the best possible Batman replacement, and he should be the one to take up the task, should Batman die.

So, to sum it up, Tim would be the best, followed by Damien, Dick, and then Jason. I feel that each of them would have something interesting to bring to the table, and would be very interesting to see any of them take the cape and cowl.

#11 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Great question! Does Terry count even though he was never a Robin? Of the six Robins (Dick, Jason, Tim, Stephanie, Damian, Carrie), I'd probably choose Damian. More than any of the others, I feel like he's the one that made becoming Batman a priority. The other Robins all seemed like they were heading in their own directions, even as Robin. They were partners, not "Batman in training." With Damian, it's definitely Batman in training.

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: If you can make a case for Steph or Carrie, you're more than welcome. I'll even count Terry, Barbara, and Cassie even if they were never Robins. They're close enough, lol.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (19836 posts) - - Show Bio

It would make for the perfect evolution of his character. From apprentice to master. But Bruce is still my favourite Batman!

#14 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim. He's the best detective and most like Bruce. If any of the former Robins were to replace Bruce, he would be the best. His respect for Bruce would ensure that he never tarnishes the cowl.

Dick is better used as Nightwing. I enjoyed his time as Batman, but he simply isn't "Batman". To hide his personality in the shadows of the cowl would be a mistake.

I would like to see Damian's future involve righting the wrongs of his grandfather's organization. Besides, he is way too much of a loose cannon to be Batman.

Jason...lol

#15 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
 Tim  would be the most suitable successor for Batman. I think that detail is a major part of his character actually.
this 
#16 Posted by SuperHuman7171 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

although not my favorite Tim Drake would be best because his attitude is most like that of bruce wayne

#17 Edited by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Batman's sole mission is to restore and maintain order in Gotham City. Here's the way I see it while I dissect the candidates with that in mind:

Dick Grayson

  • Dick has had the most years of experience as a solo superhero, and has had the most personal training by Bruce Wayne. He is a very talented leader (has lead the Teen Titans, Titans, and even the JLA at one point) and his detective skill is above average (not nearly as gifted as Tim, but much better than Jason and Damien). He also works very well with others, as even Damien Wayne, arguably one of the most difficult kids to deal with, readily followed him into combat when Dick briefly wore the cowl. As the main defender of Gotham City, I think he would do a fine job, but I fear that he'd try too hard to live up to his mentor. He has had some experience in the cowl itself, maintained a fine relationship to Jim Gordon, and had an obvious passion for the title. While the idea of a smiling, happy-go-lucky Batman is unsettling to me, Dick would be a great replacement should Bruce die/quit, however, I feel he is better suited to be his own hero.

Weren't Batman and Robin #1-16 and The Black Mirror partially about Dick growing out of that behavior?

@Gambit1024 said: .

Jason Todd

  • At a first glance, Jason would be a terrible candidate to don the cowl. He's stubborn, he's a killer, and he's unwilling to work with people who disagree with him. Why on earth should he get the cowl? To me, maybe his methods might just be what the criminals in Gotham deserve. If Jason killed someone like Joker, just how would the criminal organizations in Gotham handle it? Would they fear him? Respect him? Throw all their firepower at him? I have no idea. I do feel that if Jason had the title, he would go out of his way to kill the rogues that call Arkham their home, and he'd work with the drug lords to have a reasonable trade route to maintain peace within those territories. While his methods aren't like Bruce's at all, he knows that ridding Gotham of crime is impossible, so by doing those things previously mentioned, maybe some sort of order would be brought throughout the city. Or maybe he'd just go on a rampage, kill everyone, get rid of the GCPD, be the top cop of Gotham, and rule things like some sort of psycho-tyrant. Jason wouldn't be a suitable replacement due to his unpredictability and questionable methods, but I'd love to see an elseworlds story tackle that subject.

How very Hamsterdam . Commissioner Gordon may not approve, though.

@Gambit1024 said:

Damien Wayne

  • The son of Batman himself and one of the most powerful organizations in the DCU: The League of Shadows. Since birth, Damien has been raised to kill his father and replace the Batman title, which is exactly what this thread is about. He's extremely intelligent, an almost perfect hand to hand combatant, and will kill if necessary. How would he not be the perfect candidate to restore and maintain order in Gotham? When it boils down to it, the kid is a loner. He will not tolerate anyone's hand trying to help him if they offer it. This includes Jim Gordon, or any of the few good cops within the GCPD. Furthermore, his family ties are questionable and could be a major problem in the long run. How do we know that Ra's doesn't have something up his sleeve that will make Damien into his own little puppet? Just playing Devil's Advocate here. In reality, his methods are just what Gotham might need. There's a line that some criminals have to pass before I feel that they should be killed, and Damien, much like Jason, understand that line, and how far someone like Joker have crossed it. While I do feel that he'd be an excellent hero in his own right, the Batman name is something I just don't see him pursuing, regardless of how good he just might or might not be for the part.

Who claimed Damian was raised to kill his father?

I would give the character a few more years to grow before making an assessment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jason swear off killing, or at least reconsider his stance on the matter?

EDIT: Who determines this "line"? Who watches this person?

@Gambit1024 said:

Tim Drake

  • Tim, in my opinion, is the best detective in the DCU. To find out who Batman is all on your own when you're a kid is an accomplishment that geniuses like Edward Nygma could never do. He's an Olympic-level athlete that is either on par or just barely exceeds that of Dick Grayson himself. He's been known to be a great strategist under pressure, which is something Bruce Wayne is notorious for. Bruce himself has stated that this kid is perfect to don the cowl, and even Nightwing agrees. There isn't a single con I can think of that would suggest that Drake couldn't be Gotham's Dark Knight. Tim is the best possible Batman replacement, and he should be the one to take up the task, should Batman die.

Hmm, this claim's a bit iffy. Yes, Tim was scouted for the Olympics, but his feats don't put him on par with Dick. Lobdell apparently included that detail to justify his place on Batman's team. Intellect aside, the old Tim was just a normal boy. "Tim the not-quite Olympian" makes Batman's judgment look sharper. While we're on the subject, Nightwing # 0 makes more of an effort to recognize Dick's superior potential for combat.

I know I'm going to catch some heat for this, but have Batman or Nightwing explicitly said "Tim is the best choice to wear the cowl"? Batman complimented Tim for cold logic and intellect, even called him the next "World's Greatest Detective". Dick showers Tim with praise too, arguably more than Batman. Gates of Gotham - when Dick suffered confidence issues, he made a point of commending Tim on his superior investigative ability. I've never, however, heard either one call Tim "the next Batman". Correct me if I'm wrong. Tim seems a little too cold to wear the cowl, especially as Red Robin.

My choice is Dick. Batman, Tim, and Damian have praised Dick's run as Batman. Batman speculated Dick would mature into a better Batman* than him (Gates of Gotham). Before that, Batman made a point of calling Nightwing the better hero. The Tim of old idolized Dick. Dick earning Damian's respect was a critical point in Morrison's run.

Gushing aside, Dick has the most experience of all the Robins. His athleticism and tactical skills on the field are renowned, and he's already worn the cowl successfully.

Dick, Jason, and Tim have their own niches, though. Ideally, Damian would take over as Batman at the right age, although I do believe Nightwing is the logical step for Gotham after Batman.

EDIT: Sorry for the multiple citations :). I'm new at this "quoting" business.

#18 Posted by greenarrowawesome (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, does it literally have to be one of those four, but anyway, I would choose Jason or Grayson. Drake is just to boring. And Todd's got this very strange and dramatic life. I LOVED under the Red Hood. Otherwise, I'd do McGinnis. And Grayson should be played by Dillan Sprayberry and Matt Bomer, or Armie Hammer, or Colton Haynes.

#19 Posted by Knightfall225 (1989 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably Tim Drake. he has the martial arts skills and is a great detective.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.