Tim Or Dick?

#1 Posted by ownsin (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys, I'm reading around the forums that the ( Robin ) character is pretty cool and all, and i want to get into them. I want to ask your opinions who's better as being Robin and their alter egos? because Dick i think he's Nightwing, and Tim is the Red Robin from what i read from wiki. So who's better and is a more developed character, and is fun to read? in your own opinion for them  as both Robin and their alter egos?

P.S: I don't like batman very much, never was interested in him. But i like the looks and the characters that  portray Robin. Aka Tim and Dick.

#2 Posted by brantumbo (139 posts) - - Show Bio

if you are serious about getting into robin, you should definitely know the history. i would take time to learn about both of them, and jason todd as well. one of my favorite things was in "Hush" when batman said(im at work and not in front of my comic so i am paraphrasing) that dick thought it was fun, that is why he outgrew it. jason thought it was a game, and that is probably what got him killed. but tim relished truly being robin. me personally i like tim, but that is just because i grew up with dick as nightwing and jason as robin and didnt like jason. then tim came along and the writing got much better so i associated my favorite robin moments with tim. if you read tim comics you will read detective stories, if you read dick comics you will get a lot of action. not that they wont be a good mixture, but it is all up to what type of comics you like to read. if you didnt really get into batman, that may be because you werent really feeling the detective stories. so try some dick grayson stuff. but i would definitely recommend getting to know the history of the character, all 3 robins. well 4 i guess, but i wouldnt worry abou damien just yet.

#3 Posted by ownsin (142 posts) - - Show Bio
@brantumbo said:
" if you are serious about getting into robin, you should definitely know the history. i would take time to learn about both of them, and jason todd as well. one of my favorite things was in "Hush" when batman said(im at work and not in front of my comic so i am paraphrasing) that dick thought it was fun, that is why he outgrew it. jason thought it was a game, and that is probably what got him killed. but tim relished truly being robin. me personally i like tim, but that is just because i grew up with dick as nightwing and jason as robin and didnt like jason. then tim came along and the writing got much better so i associated my favorite robin moments with tim. if you read tim comics you will read detective stories, if you read dick comics you will get a lot of action. not that they wont be a good mixture, but it is all up to what type of comics you like to read. if you didnt really get into batman, that may be because you werent really feeling the detective stories. so try some dick grayson stuff. but i would definitely recommend getting to know the history of the character, all 3 robins. well 4 i guess, but i wouldnt worry abou damien just yet. "
aha i see, thanks for your input. I'm going to see what other users say too :), and also you didn't fully answer my questions.
#4 Posted by Kami (117 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim 

Dick was great and actually my favorite once but I ended up liking Tim a whole lot more before DC messed up and turned him into Red Robin.. Although I am getting to like Red Robin a bit now.

We have to face the truth about Grayson, after what he did to Tim the name "Dick" fits him very well.

#5 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim is more like a young Batman, so you might want to go with Dick...

#6 Posted by ownsin (142 posts) - - Show Bio
@primepower53 said:
" Tim is more like a young Batman, so you might want to go with Dick... "
But who's more developed as a character? and is more fun to read? i don't care if he's like a young batman, i want to know who's more fun to read for.
#7 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have to go with Dick, but that's my personal opinion, of course...

#8 Posted by ownsin (142 posts) - - Show Bio
@primepower53:  i see
#9 Posted by DomDom (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Dick is currently a "Batman" right now...if your planning on going with the new comic issues. 
But he's just as young and fun as he was as Robin and Nightwing, in my opinion. =) 

Then again i favor Grayson more anyways. 

But Tim is pretty cool.  Fun wise--- not so sure. 
They both have their moments.... =)
#10 Posted by ownsin (142 posts) - - Show Bio
@DomDom said:
" Well, Dick is currently a "Batman" right now...if your planning on going with the new comic issues. But he's just as young and fun as he was as Robin and Nightwing, in my opinion. =)  Then again i favor Grayson more anyways.  But Tim is pretty cool.  Fun wise--- not so sure. They both have their moments.... =) "
aha so Dick is the more fun one to read for?, and he's character seems to be cooler than Tim's!
#11 Posted by -Vigil- (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim for sure. Dick has been around longer, but Tim has a more consistent character. Tim's costume may may be dorkier than Dick's sometimes, but Tim is much cooler in terms of personality. Tim is also more fun to read about in his alter ego, as his life is less based on being raised by Batman than Dick's.  

If you're planning on reading the back issues though, "Nightwing" is also worth reading due to some pretty great storylines. It just has a less likeable hero than "Robin" does.

#12 Posted by DomDom (1013 posts) - - Show Bio
@ownsin:
Well, Dick may be older then Tim, but in spirit he's more youthful.  While Tim's a bit more detective and mature. lol. 
This is all just in my opinion. 

Dick's (Nightwing) comics are good. 
Tim's (Red Robin) comics are good too. 
The (Batman and Robin) comics can get some........."odd" villains....if you like....odd villains then it's perfect. lol.
#13 Posted by ownsin (142 posts) - - Show Bio
@DomDom said:
" @ownsin: Well, Dick may be older then Tim, but in spirit he's more youthful.  While Tim's a bit more detective and mature. lol. This is all just in my opinion.  Dick's (Nightwing) comics are good. Tim's (Red Robin) comics are good too. The (Batman and Robin) comics can get some........."odd" villains....if you like....odd villains then it's perfect. lol. "
i see so if i want to start on Dick, where should i start? what comics should i buy? i know nothing about him? same goes with Tim. Where should i start with the both of them?
#14 Edited by -Vigil- (379 posts) - - Show Bio
@ownsin said:

" @DomDom said:

" @ownsin: Well, Dick may be older then Tim, but in spirit he's more youthful.  While Tim's a bit more detective and mature. lol. This is all just in my opinion.  Dick's (Nightwing) comics are good. Tim's (Red Robin) comics are good too. The (Batman and Robin) comics can get some........."odd" villains....if you like....odd villains then it's perfect. lol. "

i see so if i want to start on Dick, where should i start? what comics should i buy? i know nothing about him? same goes with Tim. Where should i start with the both of them? "
With Dick... That's a difficult question. The character's been around for over 70 years. But perhaps:   
  1. The "Year Three" storyline in "Batman" ("Batman" issues #436-439), or the "Robin: Year One" miniseries ("Robin: Year One" issues #1-4) 
  2. Then move on to the "Year One" storyline in "Nightwing" ("Nightwing" issues #101-106)
  3. Then go to "Nightwing" issue #1 and read from there.    

With Tim it's a little easier. I'd suggest: 
  1. The Batman storyline "A Lonely Place of Dying" (Batman issue #440, New Titans #60, Batman #441, New Titans #61, Batman #442)
  2. Then the three "Robin" miniseries ("Robin" miniseries issues #1-5, "Robin II" #1-4, "Robin III" #1-6)
  3. Then go to Robin #1 and read from there.

Of course, that's only if you have the money and time to track down these classics in some form. If you have to start with something more recent, read the "Batman: Battle for the Cowl" miniseries, then read starting from:  

For Dick - Batman #687, Batman and Robin #1, Streets of Gotham #1 
For Tim -  Red Robin #1  

And if you can, check out the various iterations of The Teen Titans, Titans, Young Justice, and The Outsiders that contain these characters. I hope this helps! 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.