Robin the Bad A** Boy Wonder

Posted by BrowncoatGrimm (11 posts) - - Show Bio

In the media there is a certain preconception of Robin the Boy Wonder, people tend to think he’s generally lame and a total joke of a character. This view has been inspired by the dreadful portrayal of Robin on the screen in both the old campy TV series and in the films in which robin was portrayed as a boring and annoying old man. Robin is seen as a stupid character that has no right existing.

This is a fracking travesty.

Robin is, by far, one of my favourite super heroes to have ever existed in fiction. He’s awesome. The problem arises, and the view differs, because yes the film and TV versions of robin are rubbish but the comic book version is the one that’s good. Granted over the years Robin is a moniker that’s been held by a few individuals; but the main two are excellent. Dick Grayson was the first robin and his master of acrobatics made him brilliant at navigating roof tops and also aided in his superb fighting style. He was intelligent and had a charming disposition that nicely offset the dark knight’s harder edge. He later went on to become Nightwing and was even better in that role than he ever was as robin.

My personal favourite Robin is Tim Drake, this is a person with a great sense of humour, a mastery of martial arts and a detective and deductive mind that surpasses even Batman himself. From the get go Tim was depicted as a detective greater than batman as he is the only one, ever, to work out who wears that cowl. He also has this great point of view that I can really get behind, he didn’t become Robin due to some kind of trauma, no, he became Robin because he saw a Batman without one and realised that Batman needs a Robin.

This idea that Batman can’t exists properly without a Robin is something I’ve believed for the longest time. Those two are intrinsically linked in a way that no other two super heroes, or other heroes and sidekicks, ever are. Bats is a very dark and brooding character that’s always on the verge of insanity, he’s a character that sits apart and above the world and views it with an analytical sense of distance. Robin is needed because he provides Bats with a human side, a side to rein Bruce in and keep him connected to the real world. Furthermore they also give Bruce support and act as a family, he views each of those Robins as sons and cares for them deeply. With his super hero career he could never really have a proper family; so these kids he takes under his wing are his surrogate sons.

Aside from the emotional connections there is also the important fact that Batman is human, painfully human. He may be a total bad a** capable of defeating all foes but he can be hurt and having backup in these situations is vital, that’s one thing a Robin provides. Though what most people don’t like to think about is that one day Bruce will die, old age is ultimately the one foe batman won’t be able to defeat. But the world needs a batman and part of the Robin thing is to create heroes ready to replace him. Recently in the comics Bruce Wayne died and Dick Grayson stood up and took the role of Batman for himself, he became the Dark Knight and did quite a good job.

You can question if it’s right to put children in danger or if these kids make Bats weak and vulnerable, look at Jason Todd. You can also argue that teenagers make poor super heroes as they are immature. I don’t see that; Bruce Wayne is a very intelligent guy and he only ever picks those that show a potential and a maturity to be a hero. He’s also a great trainer and if anyone can prepare a person for that kind of life, to prepare them for the dangers this life can bring, it’s him.

There is a section in a Grant Morrison run of batman where someone tries to kidnap a character called Damien from Bruce’s mansion and they attack when they know Bat’s isn’t there. They do know that Tim Drake, Robin, is still there and to deal with him who do they send? Only about fifty Ninjas and do you know what? Tim deals with them easily. Robin is a total bad a** in the comics and Bruce has made them that way so they can handle most situations. You just… you don’t mess with Robin because he’ll kick your a**.

Robin is incredibly cool and I just wish that someone, anyone, would make a version of Robin in more popular media that would reflect this.

#1 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely agree with you. 
Always liked Robin, though of course he's always been slowed down because of the inaccurate portrayals they've given him in other media besides comics. I also agree that, out of all the Robins, Tim is the absolute best. Not only that, but he's the most capable whilst being Robin, after all, defeating Lady Shiva is no small feat. Its a shame the Robin mantle will now be smeared by that horrible abortion of a character called Damian....  
BTW I suppose you've already seen the Grayson fan trailer that is already very old, but I've always thought of it as being rather cool and a work of love by a Robin fan.  
If they ever do bring Robin into the new movie series (they won't), I hope he gets a better treatment that he has in the past.  
Underrated characters FTW!    
#2 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim Drake is awesome, that goes without saying.  I used to be one of those people who thought Robin was a joke, but that was because of the movies, once I started reading Batman I knew how awesome Robin was.  Some characters are good, others are simply awesome.  Tim Drake is simply awesome.  There's a reason he has had a solo series of his own since 1991, while other teenage heroes like Bart Allen and Superboy don't.  

The mantle of Robin is just as great as the mantle of Batman and represents everything Batman does.

@Lion_Heart22:  You don't like Damian?  *Thumbs up!*

#3 Posted by TheMilkywayDude (105 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! this is so so so true I love robin all robins and what hes become (nightwing and red robin) and personally i like them all apart from jason obviously but I realy like what Morrison is doing with Damian and I actually think Damian is one of my favouate DC characters at the moment but anyway I would love for Nolan to put a Robin in his third movie but make him a badass one like in the comics
#4 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11726 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lion_Heart22 said:
"I definitely agree with you. Always liked Robin, though of course he's always been slowed down because of the inaccurate portrayals they've given him in other media besides comics. I also agree that, out of all the Robins, Tim is the absolute best. Not only that, but he's the most capable whilst being Robin, after all, defeating Lady Shiva is no small feat. Its a shame the Robin mantle will now be smeared by that horrible abortion of a character called Damian....  BTW I suppose you've already seen the Grayson fan trailer that is already very old, but I've always thought of it as being rather cool and a work of love by a Robin fan.  If they ever do bring Robin into the new movie series (they won't), I hope he gets a better treatment that he has in the past.  Underrated characters FTW!     "

you continue to impress me 

ALL HAIL ROBIN lol
#5 Posted by BrowncoatGrimm (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad most people agree with me, though I will say I haven't read any of the stuff with Damian yet, I have the comics on order, so I can't really say what I think of him as Robin. I'll try and keep an open mind when I read them.

#6 Posted by i.aint.wit.it (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@BrowncoatGrimm:
Hell yeah! I agree with your blog to the umpteenth degree. Tim Drake (or Wayne) gets overlooked. I read his voume from issue #97-183. I gotta say he had some of the hottest story arcs that I couldn't even fathom coming from a sidekick.  He's more than a side kick. to me. He's the only one in the Bat Universe i care for. The media needs to show that he's his own man along with his bad*ss side. I'm not a DC fan but when I occasionally dable on that side he is the first person on my pull list! 
  @Amegashita said: 
  The mantle of Robin is just as great as the mantle of Batman and represents everything Batman does. 

I agree
Tim Drake and this blog FTW!!! 
Damian should just go headbut a batarang!!!!!!

#7 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree on all points. Exept the "Damian sucks" one. He's pretty awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.