Robin Age Theory

#1 Edited by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

NOTE: My theory has been blown to smithereens, I have to change it to account for things. There is some useful info in the comments but please ignore the OP until I remove this edit.

Batman: current age: in his early thirtys for the sake of argument lets say 32

Nightwing: current age: 21

Red Hood: current age: i have heard nothing suggesting his age either officially or rumor so i'm guessing 19

Red Robin: current age: Lobdell doesn't know how old Tim is a comic viner asked him and he said 16 or 17 and since he was 17 pre 52 i'm saying 17

Robin: current age: rumor sais 10 i don't pay enough attention to know if it's official

Let's say Bruce became batman at 20 .I don't know when Dick became robin either pre or post 52 if you know when post 52 please contact me until then i'm guessing he became Robin at 10 meaning when he was robin Bruce was 21 and had been Batman for 1 years Jason was 8 Tim was 6 and Damian was -1 let's say Dick became nightwing at 16 meaning Jason was Robin at 14 tim was 12 and damian was 5. let's say Jason was 15 when he died meaning Dick was 17 Bruce was 28 Tim was 13 and Damian at 6. then a year for Bruce to brood before Tim became Robin at 14 (Dick 18, Jason Dead, Damian at 7) Tim Remains robin for 3 years until he's 17 and Damian comes in at 10 Dick 21 Bruce 32 and Todd has been back alive at biologically 19

final results

Bruce: became batman at 20 first robin at 21 second robin at 27 second robin died at 28 third robin at 29 4th robin at 32

Dick: became robin at 10 became nightwing at 16

Jason: became robin at 14 died at 15 resurrected at 19

Tim : became robin at 14 became red robin at 17

Damian: became robin at 10 died at 11(joking joking let's all calm down)

So here is my flawed robin math it's not perfect it's mostly guesses but its the best i can do if you have any ideas at all to help correct any and all flaws please tell me

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

Woah, that main paragraph is hard to follow.

Its best not to dwell on it, realistically, Batman would be in his mid 50's by now, but he has had the Lazarus pit, so he looks younger

In most tellings of Batmans story he is in his late 20's when he begins, takes Dick in about three years later, Dick is about 9-10 when he starts and about 16-17 when he leaves.

#3 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Woah, that main paragraph is hard to follow. Its best not to dwell on it, realistically, Batman would be in his mid 50's by now, but he has had the Lazarus pit, so he looks younger In most tellings of Batmans story he is in his late 20's when he begins, takes Dick in about three years later, Dick is about 9-10 when he starts and about 16-17 when he leaves.

I'm trying to figure out about post flashpoint since they deaged bruce to his thirtys but thanks for the info on when pre flashpoint dick became robin that's probably still canon

#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92995 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor Pretty sure Jason is over 21.
#5 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress: I think they said Dick is 21 now though

#6 Posted by Mercy_ (92995 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor I know.
#7 Posted by danhimself (22684 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure that Tim was deaged a few years as well

#8 Edited by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Lobdell said sixteen or seventeen but sixteen might be safer i'll probablly edit it to sixteen later just to be safe

@The Dark Huntress: You think there the same age ? it's possible i guess do you have any proof or an interview

#9 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

I decided to bump this because 2 or 3 threads about various Robin's (Tim's and Jason's) ages have come up recently and I still think my theory has some merit

#10 Posted by CapedCrusaider (114 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I commend you for taking the time to make this thread however there are afew changes that you will have to make. First Bruce became Batman when he was 25 in year one. Dick was 9 years old when he became robin. Tim was 13 when he became robin, Jason is not specified (atleast not to my knowledge ) and most writers say that Batmans storyline usually ends in his late thirties

#11 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@CapedCrusaider: Wow, that info would have been really helpful when I made this, lol. That said At this point I'm, trying to figure out the new 52 where the timeline has been condensed to be either 10 or 5 years total. My theory has actually possibly been decimated, I stopped reading Nightewing at #4 and apparantly in #5 they said he became Robin at 16 which would mean that all the robins happened within 5 years. I'm trying to confirm if this is true or not at the moment. I'll add the info you just gave me in the morning into a new section about the pre 52

#12 Posted by danhimself (22684 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor:

#13 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Thanks how old is he is that picture

#14 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow...this makes sense...

#15 Posted by danhimself (22684 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: I read somewhere recently where someone with DC said that Dick became Robin when he was 17 so I'm guessing that in the scene he's probably 16 or 17 and that scene takes place right before his parents are killed

#16 Edited by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Wow, I heard the rumor that he became robin at 17but I didn't believe it. How are all the robins supposed to fit in a 5 year period, not to mention the Batgirls. that doesn't make much sense. Wonder how DC will explain it.

#17 Posted by danhimself (22684 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: as it stands right now...Dick and Tim each received anywhere from a year to a year and a half time as Robin training under Bruce...in Red Hood and the Outlaws; Arsenal says that Jason trained with Batman for 2 years...it's debatable as to whether Arsenal is full of sh!t or not but let's just assume that he's telling the truth...that means that Jason received the most training from Bruce

#18 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Interesting, I'll have to re calibrate my theory when I have time to think everything through

#19 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

except the Timeline only has 6 years available and we know Jason Todd was killed 3 years ago. So even if Bruce was 21, and not 25 like all sources say, when he Became Batman...

Batman Debut 21

Robin I Debut 22

Robin II Debut 24

Robin III Debut 25

Robin IV Debut 27

#20 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Thinking through it...

Batman Debut = Bruce 25 (Year 1)

Robin I Debut = Bruce 27 Dick 15+ (It is unlikely if he was younger he'd have friends that drive) (Year 2or3)

Batgirl Debut = Bruce 27 Dick 15+ Barbara 16+ (She is older than Dick) (Year 2or3)

Robin II Debut. He was killed 3 years ago let's assume he had 2 years training. This means He Debuted Year 2 and Dick and Barbara Debuted year 1, or 6YA AND Dick became Nightwing 6YA

So Year 1: Bruce 25, Dick 15+, Barbara 16+, and debuted in that order during that year.

Tim Drake must have started training around 3YA. let's further say that he has been out of the picture for 6 months, and he never was Robin. His independence also indicates he is at least 16 right now. Let's also say that with this 6 months Damian came into the picture and is rapidly aged.

This places Tim at a minimum ages of 13+ 3YA, and Damian will always be a ??

Let's put forth another thought, since Dick would have had to go off on his own it is possible that he had to be emancipated to which means his age in Year 1 must have been 16 by the end.

So let's say...

Year 1: Bruce 25, Dick 15.5, Barbara 16, Tim 10, Damian Non-extant

Jason is between Tim and Dick so he is between 10 and 15.5. With the move towards older ages for these characters and his age as it was that he couldn't get emancipation and he has muscle definition in the only images we've seen he'd have to be 14+ in Year 2.

Year 1: Bruce 25ish, Dick 15.5+, Barbara 16+, Tim 10+, Jason 13+, Damian Non-extant

Year 6 (current year) Bruce 31ish, Dick 21.5+, Barbara 22+, Tim 16+, Jason 19+, Damian 6+

Also with Tim no longer being Robin, Damian is now Robin III v.v

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.