DC doesn't want to move Robin forward.

Posted by SladeRogers (273 posts) - - Show Bio
Alright, this is a thought I've had since I first started to read Batman and watch the series. Now from as far back as I can remember, the Batman series have shown Dick as Robin and when ever Dick came close to or became Nightwing, they'd end the series shortly after. In the Teen Titans series, they used Dick rather than Tim (had they used Tim, his encounter with Jason would've been aired). .In the "The Batman" cartoon series, they used Dick as Robin which is how it's supposed to be, but why couldn't they keep it going and show his transformation in Nightwing and Jason becoming Robin? In the current Young Justice series, they are using Dick yet again and Young Justice isn't even his team!!! I mean other than Under The Red Hood, DC has made no attempt to expose Jason to television and this upsets me greatly. Without Jason's death and resurrection we don't get to see Tim become Robin. But, my question is why hasn't DC moved beyond Dick Grayson? What possible reasons are there?
#1 Posted by darth_brendroid (1692 posts) - - Show Bio

...he's the definitive incarnation of Robin perhaps? Same reason maybe why DC is using Hal in their GL film, why they brought back Barry, why Marvel brought back Norman. They're considered the 'definitive' version of the character (though Barry is more debatable than others). Keeping in mind that Dick was Robin for about 30 years, more than Jason or Tim, and also that he's the one frequently shown in depictions of Bruce's earlier career, he's probably the one the general public knows best and therefore DC plays to that strength of Dick Grayson (even if he's grown up beyond his role as Robin).
#2 Posted by saigocage (9 posts) - - Show Bio

In  'The New Batman Adventures'  the Robin was Tim Drake. Though he was more of a mix of Tim Drake and Jason Todd.

#3 Posted by SladeRogers (273 posts) - - Show Bio
@saigocage: 
Wait, so they skipped over Jason? That's just friggin' lovely now isn't it. 

@darth_brendroid: 
I can understand that, but still. I mean when I first read about Jason Todd, he seemed like the perfect Robin to me (mainly because we were both angry young men) and when I realized that they hadn't/weren't usin' him I got very upset. The whole definitive character thing I can understand, but fans of the shows should see more than just Dick as Robin. I mean the first thing I normally look for in characters is similarities with myself and a lot of other people do as well, and how many people can say they have a connection with Dick Grayson? Very little. How many with Jason? A lot more. Not the dying thing, but being troubled youth. 

#4 Posted by VillainousV (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

..........Robin needs to learn to spread his wings and fly....................!!!

#5 Posted by saigocage (9 posts) - - Show Bio
@SladeRogers:
Yeah, far as I know, Jason Todd was never in any animated series as a Robin. He was mentioned in Teen Titans by Beast Boy and was referred to as "the bad Robin." But that's as far as they've gone that I know of.
#6 Posted by SladeRogers (273 posts) - - Show Bio
@saigocage:
Really?! He gets a mention from the green kid, but doesn't appear!!!!...... Alright, DC and I are gonna have some real problems if Jason doesn't get more exposure. Do they benefit from leavin' out the violent sidekicks or something? Hell, Smallville skipped Roy and went straight to Mia as Oliver's sidekick and made no mention of his son Connor... DC is really hittin' nerves here.
#7 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason they keep using Dick instead of Jason as Robin, is because Jason wasn't that interesting as Robin. Dick is more well known and far more interesting character. The closest we will ever get was the scene as Jason as robin in under the hood, a quick image in teen titans of Beast boys theory of who red x is, and a  scene in the emporer joker episode of brave and the bold.

#8 Posted by saigocage (9 posts) - - Show Bio

If you ask me, I would like to see Jason Todd. I mean, they mix his personality in cartoons and movies with the other Robins, so why not just make Jason Todd? I know he's not well known, but people are never going to know him if he's not exposed. And I really would like to see a cigarette smoking Robin for at least a little bit.

#9 Posted by saigocage (9 posts) - - Show Bio

also, i think it was in batman the brave and the bold that they did an episode of them in the future where dick was batman and damian was robin.

#10 Posted by SladeRogers (273 posts) - - Show Bio
@saigocage:
Exactly. it's like DC doesn't want Jason exposed at all. I love the movie (despite the absence of Deathstroke), but you can never expect that to be enough especially for guys like me.
#11 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

the reason that they use Dick instead of Tim or Jason is because Dick was the first Robin...they would need to much back story on other characters to explain why they're using Tim or Jason....also it seems like a lot of people like Jason and want to see him in other media now that he's been brought back as Red Hood but lets not forget that the fans voted for him to die when he was Robin....he may be interesting now but when he was Robin he sucked

#12 Posted by saigocage (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Again, they did have Tim in the 'New Batman Adventures' and did his back story, except it was Jason's back story. It can be done for Jason too. 

#13 Posted by dewboy01 (1499 posts) - - Show Bio

some think robins gay because he wears green underwear back then with no long green pants. just my opinion, no offense.
#14 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick Grayson is the first Robin, and it's true to the comics to make him the first, the problem is that most shows don't last long enough for them to even get past Robin, most show now a days only last a few seasons and never get around to showing Robin go to Nightwing, then having Jason, and then having Tim and then Damian, comics have had decades to do this, movies and shows only have years. Not to even mention Steph becoming Robin.

#15 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio
@saigocage: The episode in the future was just a dream like sequence with alfred.And Jason as Robin wasn't as interesting and relateable, he was the bad Robin, he wasn't interesting until he became the red hood. Most of the people who like the character haven't read his stories as him as robin.
#16 Posted by SladeRogers (273 posts) - - Show Bio
Here's what I feel DC should do. They don't have to actually have Jason as Robin in any series, just have him show up and don't have Dick as Robin have him already as Nightwing (showing both character's pasts in flashbacks) and I'll be perfectly fine!!!!
#17 Posted by entropy_aegis (15470 posts) - - Show Bio
@SladeRogers:
maybe cause jason's first personality was a carbon copy of dick and the second was blatantly forced upon him to make him different, 
IMO as robin damian is jason done right,and tim is a variation of dick with detective skills to set him apart. 

it simply comes down to what can robin offer,jason doesnt offer much, 
he's badass as red hood though.
#18 Posted by Kurrent (14070 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Jason Todd but they probably don't use him because THE PEOPLE voted to have him killed off...who wants to see him as Robin anyway he is way more interesting as Red Hood

#19 Posted by batman_is_god (1173 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91:
Dick's character is only interesting when it plays off Batman. Otherwise, Spider-Man is better for that kind of character.
#20 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick is a interesting chacrater on his own, hench him being nightwing. He was interesting in Teen Titans, Outsiders and in his solo series which ran far longer then most solo series launched around that time managed to do. Dick is a interesting character with out without batman being there. Even as Robin he's interesting, he's skilled, smart, and funny. He's got the same tragedy as Bruce. Saying he's only interesting when he plays off batman is wrong.

#21 Posted by SladeRogers (273 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kurrent:
@entropy_aegis:
I understand, but I just want him used in other media. For example, in the movie, certain parts were flashbacks (used to compare Dick & Jason), but why can't they do that in a series on tv? I mean I didn't exactly love him as Robin either, it was when he was Red Robin then became Red Hood (I like the motorcycle fetish style better) so DC can start him off from his Red Robin days then work into the Red Hood. Or something to that effect.
#22 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio
@SladeRogers said:
" @Kurrent:
@entropy_aegis:
I understand, but I just want him used in other media. For example, in the movie, certain parts were flashbacks (used to compare Dick & Jason), but why can't they do that in a series on tv? I mean I didn't exactly love him as Robin either, it was when he was Red Robin then became Red Hood (I like the motorcycle fetish style better) so DC can start him off from his Red Robin days then work into the Red Hood. Or something to that effect. "
he was only Red Robin for like 4 issues of Countdown and he ditched the outfit as soon as he got back to New Earth
#23 Posted by SladeRogers (273 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself:
Okay, skip the Red Robin thing, but the rest still remains.
#24 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the should have used Tim Drake
#25 Posted by KidSupreme (826 posts) - - Show Bio
@SladeRogers: Honestly I think its to much story line to handle for the kids that watch the Batman series. Not all of them are comic book fans like us, so they just try and keep it simple. 

Personally I think It would be awesome for the WB network to have a Robin animated series that focuses on the Robin Legacy (obviously with guest appearces with other heroes such at Batman, Superman etc..) Watch Dick grow up and apart from, Bruce/Batman and change into Nightwing, While Jason take up the mantle, then dying, then Tim taking over and turning into Red Robin, while Stephanie change from Robin to Batgirl and finally Damian... thats would be an awesome series!
#26 Posted by SladeRogers (273 posts) - - Show Bio
@KidSupreme:
You are my new Vine best friend!!!!!
#27 Edited by mistersarcastic (324 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick is the more well known Robin and DC wants to keep it simple? I'm starting to get tired of people using that to justify the reason and it also makes DC seem a little contradicting. You can't apply "oh he's more known" to Dick as Robin but then go ahead and use Jackson Hyde as the Aqualad for Young Justice just because they need an ethnic character but not explain his background and where he came from. The last time kids saw Aqualad he was on Teen Titans and it was Garth... I dunno about everyone else but their appearances are significantly different so why not explain more about the new Aqualad?  They might as well had bought more seasons for the animated Teen Titans series.

Also, they recently used Damian Wayne as Robin on Batman: The Brave & The Bold. When it comes to Robin and other characters DC is really full of it. -__-

#28 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio
@KidSupreme said:
" @SladeRogers: Honestly I think its to much story line to handle for the kids that watch the Batman series. Not all of them are comic book fans like us, so they just try and keep it simple. 

Personally I think It would be awesome for the WB network to have a Robin animated series that focuses on the Robin Legacy (obviously with guest appearces with other heroes such at Batman, Superman etc..) Watch Dick grow up and apart from, Bruce/Batman and change into Nightwing, While Jason take up the mantle, then dying, then Tim taking over and turning into Red Robin, while Stephanie change from Robin to Batgirl and finally Damian... thats would be an awesome series! "

I think Cartoon Network should consider their possibilities with this one.. I'll be willing to bet Robin gets just as popular with kids as the Batman himself. I mean, that was the general idea  back then right? Dick Grayson was THE sidekick, younger comic book audiences wanted a hero they could relate to during the golden age, hence the original boy wonder.
#29 Posted by StarKiller809 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never understood why no one likes Jason Todd. You have the people that like him and the people who all out HATE him. I would love to see more of him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.