Robin Rises: Alpha #1

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Yes, this review reveals whether Damian has returned or if he'll remain dead and another character will take his place. You probably already know by now but if there's like, a handful of people who still don't know, consider this your SPOILER warning!*

The Good

Damian Wayne is back! For me and many others, that makes us want to celebrate and throw confetti. And, as you more than likely know by now, the little dude now has powers! As if his ego wasn't big enough already, right? That said, Peter J. Tomasi doesn't make Damian's return full of sharp banter and witty insults, and that's a good thing. I love Damian's personality a whole lot -- and there is a panel or two where this shines through -- but the kid just came back from the dead and is already being thrown into a hectic situation (we'll discuss that part in a moment). There's no room for snarky remarks or attitude; it's all about the emotional impact of Batman's son finally coming back to life and then almost immediately having to fight to survive.

Damian learning about his new abilities isn't a slow discovery or a drawn out process. It's pretty much trial by fire as he's forced to push himself and defend his friends (and pets!) against Darkseid's son, Kalibak. The villain was obliterated by Batman and then the Dark Knight attacked his father, so you can't really blame the foe for wanting some revenge. Thankfully, Kalibak isn't a total jobber this time around and he gives the team major trouble. Even with Damian's new powers, the kid's in for one tough fight (it's good he's not so overpowered that he can just walk all over this kind of villain) and watching him discover what he's capable of on the fly was good fun. The battle is pure superhuman mayhem as big punches are thrown, objects are smashed into characters, and there's even a good moment or two of comedy thrown in there. Between this scene and the big brawl back in SUPERMAN UNCHAINED, Bruce Wayne must spend a ton of money on repairs in the Batcave.

After all of the recap and brawling, Tomasi focuses purely on teasing this book's future. There's a decent amount of heart along the way and, if you've been loving this book, the final set of pages will absolutely have you excited for what's to come. It's a more quiet moment that manages to focus on character, deliver a good laugh, and make us feel optimistic for the upcoming issues. It just feels good to have these characters reunited again and reminds me why I've been loving this series so much. But, before that occurs, the violent return of a villain (or at least I'm pretty sure it's her) is randomly teased. It's a bit of a jarring departure from spending time with the Bat-family, but it's understandable Tomasi wanted to give us a bigger hint about what the upcoming story will incorporate. It's kind of funny because it seems like if a character died in BATMAN INCORPORATED, it's looking like Tomasi will find a way to bring 'em back! Honestly, it's best to just wait and see how this character's arc is handled instead of jumping to conclusions when there's so little information available. If Tomasi can bring these characters back, then there's hope for Nobody, right?

Thanks to Andy Kubert, Jonathan Glapion, Brad Anderson's work on the panels, these pages pack one hell of a punch. The action-packed craziness will make you want to cheer, the heartfelt moments are impactful, and there's even a bit of visual comedy (Kalibak being face to face with Bat-cow had me cracking up). An epic and exciting conclusion deserves equally epic and exciting visuals. Thankfully, this team delivered consistently animated, thrilling, and emotional pages. Oh, and the final double-page spread is definitely going to make you smile. I'm pretty sure a good amount of us will use it as a new wallpaper, too.

The Bad

This issue has 10+ pages of what is basically reliving BATMAN AND ROBIN #37's final scene. Yes, it offers new angles and the quick look at Alfred preparing was a nice addition, but that issue came out last week. The cover price is $4.99 because we're paying for extra pages, but it feels like entire opening is there just for new readers and, as someone who loves this series and has been with it since the beginning, that's pretty disappointing. I can't help but feel like if we're paying extra, that extra content should appeal to all the fans and not just people who will buy this issue because they heard it's the return of Robin. I get why the first chapter of Robin Rises began with several pages of recap -- it's a jumping on spot and covering a lot of history -- but this is the conclusion of the story and having a recap page would have been greatly preferred over spending more than a handful of pages offering what is basically "previously on BATMAN AND ROBIN." That would have allowed for more new content after the big fight. Also, a thorough recap page would be less jarring for new readers because it can explain the immediate situation Batman is in.

As for the story, a vast majority is a ginormous fight and then teasing this book's future (e.g. the return of a villain, swiftly talking about Damian's powers). There's nothing substantial just yet, but it's still a blast and has me stoked for what's to come.

The Verdict

Robin Rises started as an action-packed story that's full of over-the-top and crazy fun. Since then, it has pretty much been non-stop popcorn entertainment and refused to slow down. To no one's surprise, that's also how it ends! It's a bummer so many pages were spent on recap (one detailed intro page would have been great!), but this is still a ton of entertainment and sure to feel like pure fan service for longtime readers of BATMAN AND ROBIN. Robin Rises really is the kind of story that needs to be turned into an animated movie. It's ridiculously fun and has just the right amount of character. Damian's return was a blast and I'm so excited to see what Tomasi will hit us with next in the pages of BATMAN AND ROBIN.

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I was slightly dissapointed by this issue, but overall it was still good. Loved the moments between Damian and each family member.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Boynerdgeek

So Batman doesn't need Superman for World's Finest because he already got Damian :p lol okay just joking

So is Damian will join Justice League base on March 2015 Solicits ?

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think its her. Also I cant wait to see how Damian's power develop, and their potential side effects.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Gracetrack

Batman storming the gates of Apokolips to rescue his son in Batman and Robin is definitely animated movie material. Is Robin Rises? I'm going to wait a few more issues before rendering judgment on that one. It does look to be pretty fun though. :)

Avatar image for scarletknight2814
    ScarletKnight2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Dick Grayson in this book

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By superhoodie

I am disappointed in the way DC has been treating the New Gods, i'm rereading of Jack Kirby's Fourth World, is one of the works that answers the question of why he is called the King, the whole concept he created is spectacular, gets to be sad the way the New Gods are being treated today.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Damian's back, an to only bring further ruination to the Bat-Family and series lol.

Good job DC!!! *rofl*

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see Robin Rises as an animated movie. It could even surpass UtRH from it's top spot.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I had a lot of hope for this story when it was announced a few months back but honestly-- and I know everyone will hate me for this-- it really fell short. A lot of the story was left unexplained (chaos shard properties? The "choice" Bruce was given?) and I'm not a fan of Kuberts art at all and I wish they had just let Gleason handles this. Just cause Kubert was around for Damians introduction a few years back doesn't mean he has to be around for everything significant for Damian. So then when the story concludes its just "back to business as usual", whereas any other person would be simply celebrating the return of a lost loved one.

This issue was in no way worth $4.99 when the rest of the arc (except the Omega issue) is $2.99.

AND, someone explain Darkseids situation. My understanding is there's only one Darkseid in the entire Multiverse. Currently on Earth 2: Worlds End he was just awakened by some new God interference (can't block out spoilers on my phone so I'll leave it vague for anyone unaware) but in Robin Rises he was, at the start, in some comatose state and then suddenly appeared out of it with no mention of how or when or why he woke up. Couldn't they handle that a little better? It's a little jarring and seems like there's two Darkseids, which there aren't.

Personal note: this story concluded 2 weeks after my father passed away. Maybe I'm just critical of a resurrection story right now.

... but I still don't like Kuberts art. Fin

Theorder14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why didn't Damian asked about Grayson? Every bat-family were there except him.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Epic.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By mak13131313
    mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't read a lot of batman but I picked up issue 37 and this one and it was pretty cool. Yeah I thought it was weird too when the first quarter of the issue was a recap.

But the fight was awesome. That penny gets used a lot as a weapon now and his insurance company is going to start asking questions about all these wrecked cars.

Wonder what Robins power set is now. he appeared to be flying at the end

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
    victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tell me ...Talia is also back isn't she ? Because if Damian is back...she must be too.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By vinomonster

I hope it gets adapted in animation.. I really enjoy this issue.

Kingthunder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in my opinion this was a really good issue i so loved the fact that Damian beat kulbak(what ever his name is) with the bat car batman was all on the ground like no use the Adam west bat car.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fallingcliffs

I thought it was a great issue! Hard to be disatisfied unless you're a negative nancy or have standards higher than you should. The new Super powered Damien is awesome lol man poor Kalibak getting abused by Waynes of late lol

@the_average_bear: It's no doubt the same DS but two different time periods in the New 52. This is one thing I wish New 52 DID explain better ie with Batman, Superman books especially and JL. Are those individual stories before or AFTER JL stories? Some they confirm with say "Super Doom arch then we see bearded Superman" so we know Future's End happens after that, Forever Evil etc but not all of their timeline explanations are so obvious you know?

So there I totally agree with you, I believe as you said they already confirmed there's only one apokolips and one Darkseid in the entire DC Multiverse.

@victorcheenoanleu Well....technically he's alive he's just under a new current alias ;)

Kingthunder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kingthunder99

@starbrand1: its just joke becuz Damian used the bat-car to beat darksied son up that is all

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This was a slightly disappointing conclusion to this arc. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that Damian's back but the way he just started pounding Kalibak left and right with his new superpowers felt really forced. Neither he or anyone else in the Batcave was actually surprised or amazed of what Damian is capable of and that bugged me a lot. That's my only concern with the issue but apart of that I loved every part of it.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_top_hat: i couldnt understand what you wrote, it didnt make any sense.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Jenkale

the comic was decent, great to have damian back. wish this team was writing his solo title. unlike most I don't have a problem with damian having powers I just don't like the powers they chose for him. look what they did with red hood. yeah that book sucks but his powers are different and cool and he rarely uses them. damian is given the generic super hero staple of powrs i.e. superman's powers. what about inhanced intelligence? a sixth sense to aid in his hand to hand combat? something to tie into his martial arts training like shadow blending, pressure points, or even a spiritual weapon like red hood has. they just made him the new super boy. damian doesn't need anything flashy, he's damian!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.