Follow

Robbie Thompson

Person » Robbie Thompson is credited in 400 issues.

Writer for 'Supernatural' and SILK.

NYCC 2014: Robbie Thompson Discuss Writing the SILK On-Going

• 52 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Cover by Dave Johnson
    Cover by Dave Johnson

Marvel announced at New York Comic Con that Silk, who spins her way out of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and ORIGINAL SIN. The book is being written by Robbie Thompson and drawn by Stacey Lee. While this book won't hit store shelves until February 2015, Robbie Thompson chatted with us about this upcoming series.

COMIC VINE: How did you land this gig and is this your first venture into writing comics?

ROBBIE THOMPSON: I was introduced to Ellie Pyle by my friend Joe Henderson, a TV writer/producer and all around great guy. Ellie’s a fan of the show I work on, Supernatural, and heard I was a comic book fan, so we struck up a friendship. She offered me a chance to pitch some alternate universe Spider-Women for the Spider-Verse book event, and we ended up working together on Lady Spider. Off that, she introduced me to Nick Lowe, and then she asked if I was interested in writing Silk. By that point, I had heard about Silk joining the Marvel Universe and was very excited about the character, so I jumped at the chance to be a part of the book.

I’m a lifelong fan of comics, and have been trying to break into that industry for years. I worked on Human Target, an adaptation of the DC book for FOX, and when we did a comic adaptation of that, I was lucky enough to write half of the back-up stories for that series. I was instantly addicted! After that, I worked on The Cape for NBC, and the show’s creator, Tom Wheeler, and I worked on the comic that was in the show. We had so much fun working on that book, which was published on-line. Comics are such an incredible story-telling machine, and I’m thrilled to be working on an on-going book about Silk.

CV: What's the story for this new book?

RT: We’re going to be picking up Cindy’s life after the aftermath of Spider-Verse, and introduce her into the Marvel Universe. She’s working at Fact Channel, trying to connect with her old life and balance that with being a super-hero. While she’ll definitely be having run-ins with villains, and learning what it’s like to be a hero, her main focus in the first arc is trying to figure out what happened to her family.

They’ve completely disappeared, and she’s desperate to find them and connect with them after being locked away for ten years. We’re definitely going to have fun bringing Cindy and Silk into the Marvel Universe. I’m really excited that this first arc is a personal, character driven story, allowing us all to get to know Cindy—and Silk—better.

Cover by Stacey Lee
    Cover by Stacey Lee

CV: How did it feel to work with a character that isn't as enveloped in years of continuity compared to other Marvel heroes and villains?

RT: It’s been fantastic. The brilliant thing Dan Slott and the Spidey Team did in creating Cindy is that they tied her to this enormous event in Marvel’s History. But by sealing her away for ten years, she’s got a clean slate to play with as a character. So, it’s great to see Cindy and Silk’s fresh perspective as she comes across friends and foes in the Marvel Universe and seeing how she becomes a hero herself. In many ways, I can relate to that part of her journey—we’re both brand new to the Marvel Universe and both excited to be a part of it.

CV: What do you like about this character?

RT: Her strength. Not her super-powers, but her inner strength. To have committed to what Ezekiel asked of her, to have walked away from her family, her life, her future, to make that sacrifice—that took an enormous amount of courage. And you can see in the early pages of her introduction, that decision was something she battled with, but she still kept going, kept her sense of humor. And she stayed. And would have stayed if Peter hadn’t found her. To have made that decision when she was only eighteen, and to have stuck with it for ten years shows what a tough customer she is, and that inner strength is going to be tested even further in the stories to come.

I also love her attitude. She’s lost 10 years of her life, but she’s so grateful to be out of that cage, and back in the real world. She faces enormous challenges and obstacles in both Spider-Verse and her own book, but she never gives up. She clearly knows she’s been given a second chance at life, and she wants to make it count.

CV: What villains can we expect in this new series?

RT: Well, she and Black Cat are already not BFFs, and they will be on a bit of a collision course over the first arc, especially after Silk starts to make a name for herself. We will also see her clash with some classic Spidey villains, and fight them in her own unique way, as she did when she squared off against Electro. And of course she’s going to run afoul of villains of her own, as we introduce some new bad guys in the first two arcs. We’ll also see her develop her own style in dealing with villains—she had a crash course in Spider-Verse, and now she’s going to learn about the day-to-day of fighting crime and balancing it all out with a personal life—which is something she hasn’t had in a decade.

CV: What challenges did you have in writing a character that's been locked in a room for years?

RT: I think the challenge has been trying to get into that headspace and learn about what it would be like to be so isolated. I’m a bit of an introvert. And I like my quiet time. But ten years? Alone? It’s astonishing when you think about it. I mean, her only friend for ten years was basically a series of automated video responses from Ezekiel. That sense of loneliness and isolation is in stark contrast to where she is now, building a life for herself in the bustling city of New York. That contrast affects her personally, but also as a hero. Her heightened Spider-Sense is tuned to everything—in the bunker, she had no idea how overwhelming that would be in the real world. And from a practical standpoint, she has to learn how to play with others all over again. Not an easy task after having nobody to answer to for ten years. She’s got an impatient, impulsive quality to her—she jumps in without thinking, which can help and can hurt her.

There’s also a lot of fun to be had with her being locked away for so long, though. She has a sense of humor about it all—she had to develop that in order to survive. And also, now that she’s out, she has so much catching up to do. She’s got no idea what Twitter is, she thinks video stores still exist—when she went into the bunker, Supernatural was just starting and now it’s on Season Ten! She missed out on college, post college, relationships. All of her contemporaries have moved on with their lives, and she’s frozen in time.

So, Cindy’s really going to have to tap into that inner strength and rely on that sense of humor to muscle through it all, all while establishing her own little corner in the Marvel Universe.

Thanks to Robbie Thompson for answering our questions and check out SILK next year!

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Black Cat was made into a villain as Silk replaced her as Spider-Man's partner and love interest.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i liked her other color scheme better. and how does she deserve to have a series? is this character that popular?

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By johnny_blaze

Good lord!!! I'll be picking this up as well. I love that they're making the Spider-Man universe big now, if it can happen with the X-Men and Avengers. Why not Spider-Man?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck

@hushofthewind: I'm all for a new character getting a new series rather than seeing another title with a character that already appears everywhere or has multiple titles. I'm assuming there's just a really good story to be told. I like the character so far.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I would rather see an existing spider-woman type get their own book again, like Julia Carpenter, or something.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TimeLordScience

I think it's insane for Marvel to be releasing 3 different Spider Woman ongoings. There is no way they are all going to do well with Marvel flooding the market so quickly.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience: i agree. I remember not too long ago Marvel had 3 spider-man books(Scarlet Spider, Venom, and Superior Spider-man). I loved Scarlet Spider book, but sadly it wasnt getting the support to carry on. I have a feeling Silk may suffer the same faith, which is fine b/c i thought they could have ran her story congruently in Amazing Spider-man.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hushofthewind: agreed, no matter how good Silk is I don't see it doing well. It will probably constantly crossover with ASM after issue 5 or 6 to try to keep it alive.

Spider Woman by Hopeless and Land is just hopeless ( haw haw ). But for real that book is doomed. A year at most.

Hopefully Spider Woman by Latour and Rodriguez goes well. That's a book fans actually wanted and the buzz her issue in Edge of Spider-verse got was pretty incredible.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darthfury78

@timelordscience said:

@hushofthewind: agreed, no matter how good Silk is I don't see it doing well. It will probably constantly crossover with ASM after issue 5 or 6 to try to keep it alive.

Spider Woman by Hopeless and Land is just hopeless ( haw haw ). But for real that book is doomed. A year at most.

Hopefully Spider Woman by Latour and Rodriguez goes well. That's a book fans actually wanted and the buzz her issue in Edge of Spider-verse got was pretty incredible.

How about the idea of Hopeless integrates Jessica Drew into Spider-Man's world as far as transferring some of his rogue galleries unto her own, as well as develop her friendship with Peter Parker in the same manner as it was done with Carol Danvers? There a lot of potential for Jessica Drew's solo series. But with Silk in the mix, I think that Marvel will shoot themselves in the foot. The only other Spider-Man spin off series that could have worked is Dr. Octopus as an anti-hero by Dan Slott. The second spinoff series that could have done well is the Black Cat solo series by kelly sue deconnick. Too bad Marvel made her into a villain...

Did you know that kelly sue deconnick wanted to do the Spider-Woman solo series, but Marvel wouldn't give it to her because of her schedule commitments?

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78: IMO they should have waited to announce Drew's ongoing until during or after Spiderverse and then given her a major role in the event if they wanted to give her the best push.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Fallschirmjager

"brilliant" and "slott" do not belong in the same sentence, unless you're typing "brilliant and slott do not belong in the same sentence"

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've bot read anything by Robbie Thompson but I'll give this a try. She seems okay in Amazing Spider-Man.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

naked_snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably give this book a try. Silk seems cool. I liked her homemade web costume though, I hope that it makes a return

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Hate to be that guy but I'd prefer news of Venom or Scarlet Spider getting their ongoing returned to them. Being on the GotG and New Warriors hasn't done much for either.

It also sounds like Black Cat was turned villain again specifically to be a foil for Silk, which is disappointing handling of Felicia.

And I guess we know that Silk will survive Spider-Verse just fine.

Sorry, I really hate being that guy. Her design looks good at least.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so much to read 0_0

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna pass. I think silk is a good sidekick-ish character. And I don't really see her in a solo ongoing yet. I know Marvel is trying to be diverse by giving women the spotlight but so far I'm not into the new female ongoings they have announced.

gildas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It also sounds like Black Cat was turned villain again specifically to be a foil for Silk, which is disappointing handling of Felicia.

Same feeling here.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really digging her design.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the character, but not enough to make room on my pull for an ongoing.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Comic fans are impossible to please.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am all in for a Silk ongoing! will def pick it up :3

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wasnt that into silk at first, but im really excited for this new series.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

take my money now

BlueAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never liked her character. I feel like her first arch was too much like a bad fan fic, I mean come on, they just had to be sexually attracted to one another? I don't know, I am not liking Dan Slott's writing so much right now

mje360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone else think its weird that both Spider-Man and Superman introduced new characters with similar background stories and powers that relate to the main hero, changing up the status quo and all that?

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wished that someone had made a Black Cat ongoing series prior to Superior Spider-Man because Slott would not have had the chance to ruin her character. I feel that Slott made Felicia into a villain as to replace her as Spider-Man's partner/love interest. It's just not working.

Yamara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Yamara

if you ask me i think that marvel has too many spider-powered characters perter parker, miles morales, n spiderwoman is enough. i think its just gonna b repetitive. im also not a fan of the spider verse arc i hate when marvel does that alien inter dimensional shit.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@yamara said:

if you ask me i think that marvel has too many spider-powered characters perter parker, miles morales, n spiderwoman is enough. i think its just gonna b repetitive. im also not a fan of the spider verse arc i hate when marvel does that alien inter dimensional shit.

What else are you not a fan of?

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78: It's not working cause he made it ackward on purpose. Right now her only reason to like Peter is for how he is as a person and the fact that he is basically her prince who saved her from the castle. They haven't even been fleshed out into a real romance and it seems like so far Slott is being lazy about sprinkling that in for them to even be a real couple yet..

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

Definitely passing on this. Silk as a character herself has been really bland. The Black Cat being a villain in this though completely clinches it. Especially since Cat's motivation for being a villain is terrible. I'm a fan of the Black Cat and this news sucks. So yeah this book is a no go for me.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

A silk series? really?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously? Seriously?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf: isn't she still in a coma and beside as it stands now we've got 3 Spider-Ladies getting ongoings

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

Hate to be that guy but I'd prefer news of Venom or Scarlet Spider getting their ongoing returned to them. Being on the GotG and New Warriors hasn't done much for either.

I agree. Venom and Scarlet Spider and very good stories.

Felicia deserves better then this, and I don't really like Silk all that much.

EscGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually glad for this. Silk is a great way to expand the Spiderverse within 616, especially since there is more to being a Spider then meets the eye with the Web of Destiny and all that. Jessica would've have been good but she's been tied to the Avengers and other teams for so long it would be kind of hard for her to really fit in there. Most of her Rogues are big name villians part of a big group that is an Avenger enemy. I always saw her as the older cousin who is part of the family but has other more important things to worry about then doing what a Spider does. Like a black sheep. My only thing is what will happen to Felicia and how will other Spider related characters tie into this because this is all happening after Spider-Verse and other Marvel Main Events. February is a long was away so a lot can change.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@granitesoldier said:

I agree. Venom and Scarlet Spider and very good stories.

Felicia deserves better then this, and I don't really like Silk all that much.

It's not that I don't like Silk, just that I think Felicia's character assassination to establish her kind of sucks. I'd much, much rather Black Cat stayed her old self and got an ongoing. I always thought she had great story potential.

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40  Edited By WarlordEternal

It's not that I don't like Silk, just that I think Felicia's character assassination to establish her kind of sucks. I'd much, much rather Black Cat stayed her old self and got an ongoing. I always thought she had great story potential.

Agreed.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I might check his out along with Spider-Gwen.

Astro_Zombie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll get cancelled in 12 issues anyways.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

that is some hot art. loving it. so with all these spider women getting books...black cat please???

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf: isn't she still in a coma and beside as it stands now we've got 3 Spider-Ladies getting ongoings

Last I checked she was, but she's always been my favorite of the spider women. Always liked her character and history a lot better than the others.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So many Spider Ladies getting titles.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this new costume. The old was was too plain and kinda weird. I hope this does well as there is so much potential for this new character. Ill stick around for the first few issues to see how it goes.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@escgamer: IMO, Jessica Drew should become part of Spider-Man's world as far as transferring a few of Spidey's rogue galleries and make them a part of her own. More important, I want to see a developing friendship between Jessica Drew and Peter Parker explored in ways that it would make their relationship unique from Silk and the Black Cat. If Jessica's to become a part of the Spider-family, the best way of doing so is to simply appear as Detective Jessica Drew in a non-super hero role in Spider-Man's world as a guest and vice versa. Unlike Silk, Jessica's friendship with Peter Parker is already in place. I hope that Dennis Hopeless uses this rare opportunity to make Jessica Drew's solo series standout from all of the previous volumes by integrating her into Spider-Man's world and bring in the Spider-Man readers to support the series, along with the Carol Corps. In truth, Jessica Drew(and the Black Widow) is the only other real alternate to the Black Cat as Spider-Man's partner in a frequent guestspot. A few of Spider-Man's rogue galleries, like the Hogoblin, The Human Fly, the Swarm (Fritz von Meyer), and The Jackal would make fine additions to Jessica's rogue galleries.

This is one of the few ideas that would make Hopeless Spider-Woman stand out. And if Spider-Man does show up, it would be as simply Peter Parker(rather than as Spidey). Besides, we have seen how well Peter Parker's friendship was with Carol Danvers outside of the Avengers, why can't the same hold true for Jessica Drew and Peter Parker on a personal level, which would set her a part from the other Spider-Women at the moment?

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This feels way too rushed. Silk isn't that interesting of a character in the Spider-Man books to begin with and now she's getting her own series? I really think she needs to be developed more and create more of a fan base before going in that direction personally. Comics about female characters never seem to sell well, and when it's about a female character that is a virtual unknown it makes it even harder. I just don't see this book doing well and have to wonder is this isn't to appease Dan Slott as it's his character.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#49  Edited By Teerack

Please turn Johnny Storm into a love interest. PLEASE!

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, created a website to try to save Black Cat and bring her back to how she was. Maybe nothing will happen but, the more people who help the better the chance. the website is http://kattgibson.wix.com/blackcat

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.