Follow

Rob Liefeld

Person » Rob Liefeld is credited in 1001 issues.

Rob Liefeld is a successful, but controversial artist. A penciler and writer who rose to record-breaking success in the 1990's with titles such as The New Mutants, X-Force, and Youngblood.

What Next For Rob Liefeld?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By laflux

As I'm sure many of you know, Rob Liefeld has left DC comics. Other threads have explained at least partly why he has done this, and to be honest I'm don't really want to go into that in this post. I really want to know if there is a place for him in comics at all or maybe in greater comic-book media. I have seen the forums here on comic-vine and I get it, people don't like him much here- hell I don't like his art that much. His marvel work imo was trash, and his image work uninspiring at best. It seems that many agree on this, and I laughed out loud from seeing so much GIFs and pictures showing uncontrollable joy and happiness in the most humorous ways over the past couple of days. It seems that comic-vine has become almost a microcosm of society through the ages, where people have been drawn together to stand against a scapegoat- but that is perhaps for a different story.

But the real question is what's open for him. Tbh, I didn't really mind his work on DC, including that done on Deathstroke and Lobo. From what Rob has said, alot the characteristics that we associate Lobo with were eliminated from the comic-book pages by higher authorities. But looking at Liefeld's early work, its obvious he tried to create a gritty form of art which exaggerated natural features. Shadows were frequently used. In most instances I don't think this worked- but depending on the comic being written, I think it could- to an extent. Imagine a supernatural, dark, mysterious type of comic. Here he would be free to obscure as much as the protagonists face as possible, while the exaggerated facial and bodily features would be more useful. When you think about it, its surprising that he didn't create Spawn. He's a dark, muscular, brooding, shape-shifting Demon. With so much weapons that it actually makes Rob's infamous pouches almost..... well needed!!!! While I know he did do some stuff for the character, it begs the question- why don't you do something your actually good for?

But Comics aside, I'm wondering what is there for him in the world of TV and film. I think it has been established that Rob arouses mixed feelings in comic-fans. But what I've noticed is that good comic-book writers and artists don't always make good directors. Take ultimate spider-man (TV show). The show has among others, Brian Michael Bendis, who despite some criticism from fans in his 616 work, has been consistently praised for his 1610 ultimate spider-man comics. The show on the other hand, has been mixed at best. While I find it wacthable and at times even funny, its obvious that spectacular spider-man is by far superior. Who knows. He may do something with this whole BloodStrike movie which is supposed to be in development- though I wouldn't hold my breath. His over the top style may translate into a Micheal Bay type experience, and while people may question the latter's skill, his movies do sell.

Some may question my new found pragmatism, and quote some of the stuff I've said in other Rob Liefeld threads. Don't get me wrong, I definitely wasn't shedding tears when he quit. I also believe that DC's problems lie alot deeper than him. But surely, doesn't an old dog have any new tricks.

As always, your input is valued,

(GIFs and images abusing Rob aren't needed here...... but I guess they are okay if they are funny :-p )

further reading

http://www.comicvine.com/news/rob-liefeld-to-bring-bloodstrike-to-hollywood/145099/

http://www.comicvine.com/rob-liefeld/26-5181/rob-liefeld-leaves-dc-comics/92-689103/

P.S I apologise for any bad grammar in advance.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Retirement, hopefully.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By x_29

School janitor

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hatutzeraze

I would like to see him illustrating the adventures of whatever comic Brian Michael Bendis writes. That would be worth a giggle or ten.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Video_Martian

Death by Exile.

Avatar image for thebigredcheese
    TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

Art school?

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jonEsherfey

I think you will be seeing him soon changing the urinal cakes at Angel Stadium.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By moywar700

he will start his own comic business and will sell romantic stories.The female readers will be offended by the way he draws females.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gravitypress

He will be the next Marvel Editor in Chief.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By BatteredArmor

(don'tsayhelldon'tsayhelldon'tsayhelldon'tsayhelldon'tsayhelldon'tsayhell) ummmm heck? (good job BlackArmor, you did good)

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Onemoreposter

He's back over doing work for Image on Youngblood these days isn't he?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By laflux

bump

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

BlackArmor wanted to say hell, I agree lol.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
    TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheWitchingHour

Ron has just never been interesting. His artwork is poor but it's not as ba as it used to be. He is just a bland artist and a bland writer. I sincerely hope he retires from creative production in all forms.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By laflux

@Hatutzeraze said:

I would like to see him illustrating the adventures of whatever comic Brian Michael Bendis writes. That would be worth a giggle or ten.

Sorry for the bump but reading this after having to endure Avengers Assemble makes me realize the gravity of that situation you put forward.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By colonyofcells

I hope Rob will do more work on Youngblood, Brigade, Bloodstrike, Supreme, Glory.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.