VOTE WITH YOUR WALLETS - BOYCOTT LIEFELD'S BOOKS.

• 96 results
#51 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Is it too much to ask for a Morrison helmed book about Wonder Woman and Donna Troy called Sensational Comics?

Yes, because Donna Troy doesn't exist.

Anyway, if I were reading anything he's working on, I'd totally boycott!

It would be quite easy to make the character fit. Well thats your pejorative.

#52 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

I'm not boycotting his titles... mainly because I don't buy any of the 'new 52'. That said, given how quickly Hawk & Dove have failed due to sales, it seems only a matter of months before the same happens to Grifter, Deathstroke & Hawkman.

I only buy Batman and Animal Man, though I'm also starting to get into Suicide Squad and was thinking of picking up Deathstroke (obviously, not anymore).

#53 Posted by Dfense75 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

No thanks. Your irrational hatred of Rob Liefeld is new and exciting. I will buy two of all his books from now only to piss off ignorant fans like yourself. The fact these mouth breathing mental infants still think it's cool to hate him is almost even more amusing. You should all really channel your nerd rage powers into something productive like learning to draw yourself and out do him. If he is so bad surely some of you can take his job from him. Or is it more than likely that you are the talentless hacks and he has been working in the industry for 26 years.

#54 Posted by Dfense75 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

And of all the things wrong in the world...a comic book artist is what you are going to boycott and start letter writing campaigns over? Really? For lack of a better way to say this...Grow up and get a life. There have been greater tragedies I assure you.

#55 Posted by ARMIV2 (8306 posts) - - Show Bio

I just don't like his artwork.

#56 Posted by Antonio_Blackheart (1542 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn not hawkman.This is bullsh!t.

#57 Posted by danhimself (22320 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

I'm not boycotting his titles... mainly because I don't buy any of the 'new 52'. That said, given how quickly Hawk & Dove have failed due to sales, it seems only a matter of months before the same happens to Grifter, Deathstroke & Hawkman.

I really don't blame Liefeld for that...I think Hawk and Dove would have failed no matter what

#58 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@xerox_kitty said:

I really don't blame Liefeld for that...I think Hawk and Dove would have failed no matter what

The issue was H&D was Sterling Gates writing. Not that any of the Liefeld haters bothered to read it before bashing it.

#59 Posted by inferiorego (21266 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a bit ridiculous, right? Not Liefeld drawing, but the idea of a boycott.

Grifter and Savage Hawkman are already on the verge of being cancelled because they suck. Liefeld is just plotting the stories. And to be honest, they can only get better.

It's things like this that make me hate the comic book community sometimes. The idea of wanting someone to fail. Just because you don't like someone's art, you want him to fail in all facets of creativity? Way to be horribly unsupportive of an industry that truly needs support. You don't have to read the books, but making a big stink about it and saying you should boycott the books doesn't help anything. Just don't read them, or better yet, maybe give the books a chance. How many people though Geoff Johns on Aquaman was a horrible idea? (Spoiler: There's many complaint threads on the net about that)

It's a modern day witch hunt. Grab the torches and pitchforks and burn the city to the ground before you actually look around to see what's happening. The books are coming out whether you like it or not, so how about you make your judgements and complaints after the book is out, so you can back your complaints up.

ugh...

Staff
#60 Posted by redhood21 (774 posts) - - Show Bio

i really wanted to like Grifter, but it seemed so average maybe sub average. im actually banking on Rob saving that series for me.

#61 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhood21 said:

i really wanted to like Grifter, but it seemed so average maybe sub average. im actually banking on Rob saving that series for me.

The ideas he gave in the IGN interview sound like they will imporve Grifter vastly. Sounds like he will solving the problems that most people have been complaining about in the Grifter reviews.

#62 Posted by danhimself (22320 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

This is a bit ridiculous, right? Not Liefeld drawing, but the idea of a boycott.

Grifter and Savage Hawkman are already on the verge of being cancelled because they suck. Liefeld is just plotting the stories. And to be honest, they can only get better.

It's things like this that make me hate the comic book community sometimes. The idea of wanting someone to fail. Just because you don't like someone's art, you want him to fail in all facets of creativity? Way to be horribly unsupportive of an industry that truly needs support. You don't have to read the books, but making a big stink about it and saying you should boycott the books doesn't help anything. Just don't read them, or better yet, maybe give the books a chance. How many people though Geoff Johns on Aquaman was a horrible idea? (Spoiler: There's many complaint threads on the net about that)

It's a modern day witch hunt. Grab the torches and pitchforks and burn the city to the ground before you actually look around to see what's happening. The books are coming out whether you like it or not, so how about you make your judgements and complaints after the book is out, so you can back your complaints up.

ugh...

I want to have your children

#63 Posted by redhood21 (774 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

@redhood21 said:

The ideas he gave in the IGN interview sound like they will imporve Grifter vastly. Sounds like he will solving the problems that most people have been complaining about in the Grifter reviews.

i have faith. you dont get big name or controversial just cuz you can rock jeans. I actually think id like his Deeathstroke better than whats been goin on. it seemed like they were trying to hard to show you why he's a bad *ss merc. like low budget Dolph Lundgren IS Deathstroke.

#64 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I don't consistently buy many titles from the Big 2, anymore. I've mostly been trying to accumulate Dark Horse's Conan and Dynamite's Red Sonja.

#65 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@iLLituracy said:

How about everyone just stop buying shit they don't like?

I did this, it's actually quite effective.

#66 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like the super-soldier serum had some unforeseen side-effects...

#67 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke + Liefield? Sounds like a Michael Bay movie

#68 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Just let Morrison and Johns do everything, I trust them with everything (most of the time)

Liefield makes me remember the 90s, the weird part of it....

#69 Posted by The Stegman (23258 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, i don't hate him that much

#70 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

Great blog.  I wonder why he would even be writing.  His " AWESOME" comics imprint died same with the other one after that that currently escapes me.  Awesome only mattered because of Liefeld being so bad at writing that his rip off Superman and Wonder Woman needed Alan Moore saving.

I as well believe Liefeld needs to change his bad style if he wants to continue in comics.  Even his Deadpool is horrible and he created the character.  Which again Deadpool is a "rip-off" character, so how creative is Liefeld?

#71 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2220 posts) - - Show Bio

Look, there's no getting around that his artwork is awful. Deathstroke could be decent if only because Deathstroke vs. Lobo. As much as I love the idea of boycotting Liefeld, I want to see Deathstroke hang on long enough to get a new creative team.

As for Hawkman, I don't find it to be an awful book, but as much as I hate Liefeld, he can't really make it any worse since he's not drawing. Grifter I've been mostly loving, so I'm apprehensive.

And nobody read Hawk and Dove for simpler reasons than them never succeeding or Liefeld's art being shit. It sucked. I came in with an open mind, but the writing sucked as bad as the artwork. There is nobody working on Hawk and Dove who can't be blamed; except the characters. I knew plenty of new readers really psyched to hear they were getting a series, only to give up after a few pages due to the terrible quality of it.

#72 Posted by Mediumflyer7 (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Everybody. Dont waste your money on his deathstroke run. Zealots cape kept on mysteriously diss appearing then appearing again. Terrible.

#73 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

I cannot boycott someone or something I never supported in the first place. It is a bigger shame that others have not yet accepted or realized how poor his art and writing is by now

#74 Edited by cbishop (7208 posts) - - Show Bio

This is Rob's art from Zombie Jesus. Newsflash: it doesn't suck.

There's no denying he's had problems with his art in the past, but c'mon, he has gotten WAY better.

And Hawk & Dove was never planned to go beyond eight issues, so the "cancellation" isn't news.

#75 Posted by cbishop (7208 posts) - - Show Bio

This is excerpted from Rob Liefeld's How To Beat the Haters (how I do it), from robliefeldcreations.com, and answers this silly thread pretty well, from October 6, 2011:

...Then came Heroes Reborn. I boldly stepped up to the plate with a sure-to-be-controversial Captain America reboot and made the mistake of drawing one horrible Captain America picture that drew the largest ire of my career...
LAUGH AT YOURSELF
Period. End of story. So many creative types are wound so tight and are so concerned with the weight of their work that they forget that we are producing periodic pop entertainment. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. The LOST producers were taking it square on the chin as an uneven season 2 wound down, but has anyone ever rebounded stronger with the flash forward at the end of season 3? Talk about a come back! Then they bravely produced a polarizing series finale that is still routinely discussed and debated but through it all, they take it in stride. I don’t believe for one minute that Damon Lindelof loses one ounce of sleep as a result of the split decision on the finale. Laugh at yourself. it’s the single most important aspect of surviving this crazy business. And that’s from the man that gave Cap boob’s.

You're jeering at a guy who has worked extremely hard to rebuild his career - knowing what he's up against - and is willing to go back to the Big 2 to make it happen. Have you ever gone back to a previous employer to ask for a second chance? It ain't fun. Now imagine doing that under the media and fan microscope ...and he still did it. I defy any one of you pissant haters to have the stones to do anything half as boldly. No, wait, I take that back, because you are a boldfaced embarrassment to fandom.

#76 Edited by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

I have already boycott him unintentionally because I'm not a fan of his art. Almost every face he draws look angry for some reasons. I think people should just buy what they want. There is no point in boycotting a person who just want to make a living. As long as he doesn't touch any of my favorite series, I don't mind what he's in charge of.

#77 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
#78 Posted by Dernman (14790 posts) - - Show Bio

What I don't like is most of his characters are all generic versions of each other. He also has a hard time following others designs. Like this. Why didn't he at least try and make him look someone like the first pic? I didn't even recognize him when I saw Liefeld version. He now looks like several other of his characters.

#79 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

He still can't draw someone holding a sword.

Dude's knuckles have become one with it or something.

Not to mention the bits of empty space inbetween the fingers.

Or how the face on the first panel looks like rubber stretching rather than a facial expression.

And back to the sword-dude's panel again, that is the tiniest shouting mouth I have ever seen.

#80 Posted by mavfan626 (4121 posts) - - Show Bio
#81 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio
#82 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84653 posts) - - Show Bio
@X35: Is it wrong that I like that cover? I also like this pic
 I cant justify it, but I'll wear the Team Liefeld Jersey
#83 Posted by Mercy_ (92635 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler: We're currently on non-speaking terms.

#84 Edited by cellot (80 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: I love the barcode slapped over his butt! That is the best thing ever!

Other than that... good god! What's going on with his leg? It's coming out of the side of his hip!

Also, Rob Liefeld makes me cry my precious little artist tears. How does this man continue to get hired, like on a regular basis? I mean, I'm the low range pro/high range amateur, but I know how to draw feet and I use reference! Who do I send my resume to because I can't do much worse.

@cbishop said:

This is Rob's art from Zombie Jesus. Newsflash: it doesn't suck.

There's no denying he's had problems with his art in the past, but c'mon, he has gotten WAY better.

And Hawk & Dove was never planned to go beyond eight issues, so the "cancellation" isn't news.

Oh my dear god... That is a professional artist not sucking?

First panel - acceptable for the sake of keeping this brief

Second panel - What is going on there? Where are we? Is that short silo supposed to mean anything? Other than that it's just ground and a horribly proportioned figure.

Third Panel - THE HORSE. Oh god, that horse has nothing going for it. Its back end is tiny, he doesn't know how the leg/flank attaches so he hid it, but there's no way it makes sense, it's head is huge, misshapen and lacks any structure and it has anime eyes. The man on the horse has a heck of a weird, distorted face, no eyes (intentional?), a barrel chest in the worst way you can imagine, no proportions in his torso, and short little thighs. And his hips are... I'd almost say non-existent? It's like it ends in a groin.

Sadly these are the MAJOR problems with this artwork, but by no means all of them. I hate to say it, but if you gave me a day to do this and $100, I'd be able to give you something better. Just no... his art is not good. I just could not let this post go.

Edit: I'm sorry to go on a rant like that, but just, this guy is a professional. He's getting paid money to do this... That just blows my mind. This isn't some guy doing his own personal comic in his basement; he's a paid professional.

#85 Posted by cbishop (7208 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

What I don't like is most of his characters are all generic versions of each other. He also has a hard time following others designs. Like this. Why didn't he at least try and make him look someone like the first pic? I didn't even recognize him when I saw Liefeld version. He now looks like several other of his characters.

Ever compared John Byrne's Next Men to John Byrne's Fantastic Four or John Byrne's Wonder Woman? The characters he draws from series to series look exactly the same. Every artist has a signature style to their work.

#86 Posted by cbishop (7208 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123:, @cellot: I didn't say it's the best in the world, I said it doesn't suck. It's nowhere near the worst I've ever seen, either. I freely admit I'm not an artist. Actually, I used to do okay at it, but I lost interest when I discovered I couldn't draw the one thing I really needed to - people - and decided I was better at writing anyway. Point is though: I've seen comics where the characters looked like little more than stick figures, or like they belonged in political cartoons or something. People aren't ripping them new ones.

I'm not even saying you have to like the guy's work (and clearly you don't) but at least respect that he is getting paid to do what he loves. If you don't like his work, be a sensible consumer and don't buy it... but you don't have to rip it to shreds either. So his horse doesn't look like something Michaelangelo would carve - you can still tell it's a horse, right?

Go back and read the blog in the post after the Zombie Jesus art - the guy addresses every complaint I've ever heard about him (broadly, not down to the last minutia). He has worked hard to get back into this business, and is working hard still. He doesn't have to be your favorite, but there's plenty to like about the guy.

#87 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

I find his story's a joke, but some of his art is not so bad...

#88 Posted by Dernman (14790 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop said: 

Ever compared John Byrne's Next Men to John Byrne's Fantastic Four or John Byrne's Wonder Woman? The characters he draws from series to series look exactly the same. Every artist has a signature style to their work.

There is signature style then there is artists like Liefeld who is shackled into a small comfort zone.
#89 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

That Captain America drawing is just brilliant!

#90 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

That art makes me want to tear my skin off.

#91 Posted by cellot (80 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: No, it is bad, it is really bad. I've had art training and no, it is bad. It is actively bad. I was not nitpicking, these are huge flaws. When you hold it up as an example of it "not sucking" it better at least be decent. It's great that he can do what he loves, but that doesn't make his art good or admirable. Part of being a professional artist is being criticized; I don't see why you say I should respect him for doing what he loves and not criticize his work. That's not how it works; someone may be living their dream, but that doesn't excuse their mistakes. I've already told you I could do something better for essentially minimum wage. That's not a good sign for Liefeld.

Saying you've seen worse does not make this art not suck, in addition, you seem to have a strange standard. Many political cartoons are much better drawn than the image you posted.

Also, saying "You can tell it's a horse!" isn't exactly a great standard; you can tell this drawing is a horse, should DC hire her too?

#92 Posted by Solarflare32 (393 posts) - - Show Bio

@capfanboy Fraction can write solo books such invincible iron man but anytime he works on team books its usually bad.

#93 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Two books have, under Liefeld, become better.

S'all I'm saying.

His art does suck though.

#94 Posted by Dernman (14790 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: I kinda agree on both of them being better but another book is much worse now.  
eh I'm still holding out my opinion of his writing. I'm not one to follow.
#95 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@ReVamp: I kinda agree on both of them being better but another book is much worse now. eh I'm still holding out my opinion of his writing. I'm not one to follow.

Yeah, Slade defo got the short end of the stick.

#96 Posted by Savage_Hawkman (125 posts) - - Show Bio

With my bad luck odds are we boycott Liefeld DC will cancel those comics and assign him to other books.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.