VOTE WITH YOUR WALLETS - BOYCOTT LIEFELD'S BOOKS.

• 96 results
Posted by Mercy_ (92618 posts) - - Show Bio

Yesterday DC Comics announced the first casualties of the New 52. Among those slated for the chopping block was Hawk and Dove, written and drawn by Rob Liefeld. If you are not familiar with that name (I pray to god you aren’t, he’s terrible) this is the man who gave Captain America boobs.

His art was all the rage in the nineties, when having guns bigger than your entire body was super cool! However, he has a serious lack of knowledge on anatomy and a serious lack of y’know…talent. This man should absolutely NOT be employed as a professional comic book artist, let alone be working on more than one book.

So it was a relief to me when I heard that his book was canceled. I thought that fans were finally wising up, getting over their Nineties nostalgia and voting with their wallets to let DC Comics know that they do NOT want to see Liefeld drawing (or writing, for that matter) their books.

Well…nothing good can last forever. Heaped in with today’s announcements from DC is the news that Liefeld will not only be working on a different book - he will be working on THREE others. He will be plotting for The Savage Hawkman and Grifter and he will be taking over Deathstroke from the amazing Kyle Higgins and Joe Bennet as both the writer and the artist.

There is so much ranting I can do about this. About how is writing may have suited the nineties, but it doesn’t work now. About how his art is a joke and I can name about twenty unemployed artists whom I know personally who could do this job better than him. About how he makes a farce of comic books. But I’m not going to open that Pandora’s Box. What I AM going to say is that let DC know how you feel - show them that you’re not happy with this at all. Drop the books as soon as Liefeld comes on. It’s what I plan on doing. If enough people start putting their money where their mouth is, maybe DC will finally get the idea.

For more on just how terrible Liefeld is, visit The 40 Worst Liefeld Drawings

Moderator Online
#1 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

I was ready to drop Deathstroke. Now I guess that I should stick around. Sounds cool.

#2 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I know I'm definitely not buying anything he draws/writes.

#3 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy is F***ing TERRIBLE, why is he still working for comics...

#4 Posted by chalkshark (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't buying Deathstroke or Grifter anyway. The writing on Savage Hawkman has already been terrible, so I don't see how it can really get much worse. I've only been buying it for the art.

#5 Posted by Rogan2112 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

I hesitate to say the "man" (I prefer Kid, regardless of his age) is nothing short of a blight on the comics industry. I won't even TRY to list what's wrong with his art, and worse, his excuse for plotting and scripting. Suffice it to say, I CERTAINLY never buy any books he has anything to do with. However, is what you're asking is that we write DC and let them know that the reason we're going to stop buying the books is because of him? A letter writing campain, or some such?

#6 Posted by Mercy_ (92618 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rogan2112 said:

However, is what you're asking is that we write DC and let them know that the reason we're going to stop buying the books is because of him? A letter writing campain, or some such?

This actually isn't a bad idea (contrarily, it's a really, really good one), however it wasn't what I was asking. I'm simply asking - no, imploring - that people don't buy anything that he works on. Put their money where their mouth is, so to speak.

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait. People don't do this sh*t already? Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32835 posts) - - Show Bio

People are going to stop reading Hawkman and Grifter, there going to get cancelled and I'm going to be that pissed I'l have to start burning houses down. This is not a good day for me.

#9 Posted by redhood21 (774 posts) - - Show Bio

poor rob. he's so bad.

#10 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- I have not bought anything from him since X-Force, and never plan to, he is as overrated as they come

#11 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

This just in, Rob Liefeld replaces J.H. Williams III on Batwoman.

#12 Posted by Rogan2112 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

PLEASE tell me that was a joke Daveyo

#13 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

People are going to stop reading Hawkman and Grifter, there going to get cancelled and I'm going to be that pissed I'l have to start burning houses down. This is not a good day for me.

It is a shame because if people would actually read his interview at IGN, they would be excited about all three titles. Oh well. Thank you, mob mentality. OCCUPY DC!

#14 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rogan2112: Don't worry it is. That would be the worst thing to happen to comics.

#15 Posted by ColonelRunAway (369 posts) - - Show Bio

I already couldn't care less about those books, but THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO IMPROVE THEM.

#16 Posted by GalacticPunt (77 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of folks here need a reality check. Hawk and Dove didn't sell because Hawk and Dove ongoings NEVER sell. It wasn't that the public at large has an all-consuming hatred of the name Rob Liefield.

On the contrary, he has name recognition as a Super Star artist from the 90's that makes many lapsed readers like myself take another look at a book. It may make you RAGE, but it makes good business sense for DC to assign him an existing book or two. These books are on the cusp of cancellation anyway, they could use some publicity and controversy to drum up interest.

Deathstroke is a great fit for Liefield's style. Re-introducing Lobo to the new continuity with Liefield's pencils should be, dare I say it, fun. I doubt making him a plotter on Grifter and Hawkman will have much affect on sales, but these books always had low interest, and they might as well try something before giving them the axe.

So while people on this message board may act like Rob Liefield personally killed off their grandmother, he's a famous artist who created Deadpool, starred in jeans commercials, and has learned to meet deadlines. It is in DC's best interest put him to work when his career is at an ebb, like Quentin Tarantino casting John Travolta in Pulp Fiction.

#17 Posted by cattlebattle (12586 posts) - - Show Bio

I find this post to be 20 years late. 

#18 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@GalacticPunt said:

A lot of folks here need a reality check. Hawk and Dove didn't sell because Hawk and Dove ongoings NEVER sell. It wasn't that the public at large has an all-consuming hatred of the name Rob Liefield.

On the contrary, he has name recognition as a Super Star artist from the 90's that makes many lapsed readers like myself take another look at a book. It may make you RAGE, but it makes good business sense for DC to assign him an existing book or two. These books are on the cusp of cancellation anyway, they could use some publicity and controversy to drum up interest.

Deathstroke is a great fit for Liefield's style. Re-introducing Lobo to the new continuity with Liefield's pencils should be, dare I say it, fun. I doubt making him a plotter on Grifter and Hawkman will have much affect on sales, but these books always had low interest, and they might as well try something before giving them the axe.

So while people on this message board may act like Rob Liefield personally killed off their grandmother, he's a famous artist who created Deadpool, starred in jeans commercials, and has learned to meet deadlines. It is in DC's best interest put him to work when his career is at an ebb, like Quentin Tarantino casting John Travolta in Pulp Fiction.

Thank you, Voice of Reason.

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32835 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it too much to ask for a Morrison helmed book about Wonder Woman and Donna Troy called Sensational Comics

#20 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least I still have Aquaman.

#21 Edited by etragedy (1050 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly, comics art took such a terrible leap backward in the 90s. And it's not just Liefield. By the art of the 70s and 80s was great, then Todd McFarlane started making waves for really contorted Spider-Man poses - which I guess kind of worked for that character - and then anatomy went out the window. That and the terrible influence of Manga/Anime on western comics. McFarlane, Liefield and Lee launched the all-style no-substance Image comics, and it's been downhill ever since. It's not just those 'name' artists, but it's all their imitators, especially their imitators in fact - and there have been lots. Not really until the late 2000s has the pendulum finally begun to swing back the other way, in favor of art that pays some more attention to things like facial expressions, human anatomy (although superheroes of course always have a somewhat idealized version of it) and photorealism. But hey, if people never bought the stuff, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

#22 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@GalacticPunt said:

Did you really just compare DC giving Liefeld (the guy who drew the abomination at the top of this thread) comic work to Quentin Taratino casting John Travolta in an Academy Award-nominated performance in one modern cinema's greatest films?

#23 Posted by jloneblackheart (5496 posts) - - Show Bio

This is kind of juvenile. I've never heard people complain about his writing and his artwork has improved.

At the same time, I wouldn't mind a thread and boycott of Matt Fraction.

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

his artwork has improved.

I really can't stand it though. Like I said, still buying Grifter though.

#25 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7574 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, I'll still buy them

#26 Posted by danhimself (22292 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish people would stop using that image of Captain America to say that Rob's a bad artist...that was like 20 years ago...his art doesn't look like that anymore and he's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be...he's not one of my favorite artists but there tons of artists in books today that are 100 times worse

#27 Posted by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

He'll be doing that soon too.

#28 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Not gonna lie, I laughed out loud at that picture of Cap for 2 minutes straight while I was in public and got kicked out of a restaurant

@TheCrowbar said:

This just in Geoff Johns leaves Aquaman to be replaced by....one guess

#29 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Do I even really need to say my viewpoint anymore? lol

#30 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Matt Fraction keeps getting more work...

#31 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

And yet, you'll buy Avengers vs X-Men =P

(Still loves you)

#32 Edited by CATPANEXE_REBORN (6 posts) - - Show Bio

The odd part is that the New 52 idea was based in concept off Heroes Reborn and it's success (which makes me wonder of their will in fact be a Heroes Return element to all of this where the timeline returns to normal after the sales push with some elements remaining from the New 52 on a side note), which itself of course in turn was done to follow the success of the Marvel company walk-off and formation of Image comics (Image popped a bottle of champagne, clearly for just how hard they proved Marvel wrong at the time), particularly the success of Jim Lee's Wildstorm side of things (again, Heroes Reborn itself even included an amalgamed Marvel/Wildstorm-verse much as New 52 does), whereas of course Jim Lee was tasked with redesigning and modernizing the characters and other talent brought in to helm the books, (New 52 a much more expansive version of that experiment), namely Rob, yet, the largest failure of the Heroes Reborn maneuver, as well of the Image comics foundation was putting to much faith in Rob Liefeld which he inevitably failed both times and quickly went from excited and into his work to pursuing some odd immature rebellion against the companies he found himself employed (and generating mucho legal issues as well), leaving the fold and his books (for Marvel Avengers and Cap respectively, I think by around issue #6?, and of course his Image properties, earning him a blacklist publicly from Todd McFarlane)becoming the low selling points of each respectively and hurting the overall sales push (luckily for Marvel Lee is a workaholic and was there to pick up the pieces). So the odd part in summary is that DC also now chooses to make the mistakes made before, exactly, and ones which have been proven to follow suit each time and over a decade now? Personally I would say screw whatever census of the mans artistic integrity here, but this alone is a good enough reason to be concerned and take this stance legitimately.

#33 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob should have followed Chuck Austen's lead and fallen into obscurity with grace.

#34 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

This is kind of juvenile. I've never heard people complain about his writing and his artwork has improved. At the same time, I wouldn't mind a thread and boycott of Matt Fraction.

Artistically he has improved since the 90's. But he's still not a good artist and still a terrible storyteller.

But hey at least when they appear those feet look like feet, half of the time.

#35 Posted by GalacticPunt (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger: No, I was NOT making an artistic comparison between Pulp Fiction and a couple of cape books. I never inferred this was going to end with Liefield getting an Eisner Award. If you had understood my post, I was generally talking about the business savvy of DC management, paying a bargain-bin price for a once mega-successful artist with a built-in fan base. It's similar to the showbiz savvy that Quentin Tarantino has, in that he's always plucking "washed-up" actors out of obscurity for cheap. He remembers what made them great, and reminds the world why they used to be so popular.

Now, were you so worked up over what you THOUGHT I said, that you stooped to cyber-bullying with that little picture? If so, that's bad form and pretty pathetic, duder.

#36 Edited by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

This is kind of juvenile. I've never heard people complain about his writing and his artwork has improved. At the same time, I wouldn't mind a thread and boycott of Matt Fraction.

It's improved, but not by much. You've really never heard people complain about his writing? Huh, I know people who despise his writing more than his artwork. As for Fraction, he's hit or miss with me. Fear Itself and his X-Men work left much to be desired (and he should NEVER be allowed to write Emma Frost), but his Defenders and Iron Man work are enjoyable. I think he should be reserved to certain titles and not writing major events, but I think the same of Jason Aaron (who I personally dislike much more, because of the abysmal way he handled Schism).

@GalacticPunt said:

@ApatheticAvenger: No, I was NOT making an artistic comparison between Pulp Fiction and a couple of cape books. I never inferred this was going to end with Liefield getting an Eisner Award. If you had understood my post, I was generally talking about the business savvy of DC management, paying a bargain-bin price for a once mega-successful artist with a built-in fan base. It's similar to the showbiz savvy that Quentin Tarantino has, in that he's always plucking "washed-up" actors out of obscurity for cheap. He remembers what made them great, and reminds the world why they used to be so popular.

Now, were you so worked up over what you THOUGHT I said, that you stooped to cyber-bullying with that little picture? If so, that's bad form and pretty pathetic, duder.

Ease up friend, only having a little fun at your expense (sorry, but you have to expect such things when you're trying to defend Rob Liefeld to us comic book geeks). No need to take things so seriously, I apologize if my little picture of Spider-Man offended you.

#37 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart said:
I like this idea. Add Bendis, Johns and Aaron to the list and I'm set for life. 
#38 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@jloneblackheart said:

lol

#39 Posted by CapFanboy (4520 posts) - - Show Bio

*drops Deathstroke*

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@jloneblackheart said:

See, I don't mind Johns but I'm all for Bendis and Fraction. I hate to say it but the only reason I'm buying AvX is because of Hickman, Brubaker and Coipel. And to enjoy their work I have to buy every other related issue with whatever cash I have lying around.

#40 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

How about everyone just stop buying shit they don't like?

#41 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@iLLituracy said:

*gasp* naughty language!

#42 Posted by TheRedRobin (226 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious: He's still in comics because he sells. He makes a ton of money and I'm sure even if this amount of people boycott his books he'll still do fine.

#43 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@iLLituracy said:

I doubt that most of the people complaining about Rob have actually bought Hawk and Dove. If they did, they would know that Sterling Gates was the problem with the comic.

I will be buying two of Rob's comics in May and then I will make my desision. By buying the comics, I will have earned my right to complain about them if I don't like them.

#44 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

While I admit Liefeld isn't a good artist (and probably not a good writer either although he was working for Image, he can be pardoned for lack of story) I think you just need to look at his art as stylized rather then bad. I mean most artists have a signature style that isn't conventional. Now I'll admit Liefeld actually seems legitimately incapable of drawing an anatomically-correct individual if a gun was put to his head but why hate him for that? I couldn't draw one either and the boobs on my chicks would be even bigger and I would totally hide feet behind things, and hands, I hate drawing hands.

#45 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, why should he not get paid to do what he loves (just because none of us do is not an answer). Although I agree if the people reading his books hate the art, they should drop it, if they don't hate the art, then keep supporting it and I don't think the hate of him is that widespread that most people reading his books probably don't even know they should be checking the anatomy of his characters.

#46 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7264 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO.

#47 Posted by Billy Batson (57783 posts) - - Show Bio

You can hate him now.. but he won't stop now..
Cause he can't stop now.. you can hate him now..
But he won't stop now.. cause he can't stop now..
You can hate him now.. you can hate him NOWWWW..
BB

#48 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

I still can't stand his artwork.

#49 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not boycotting his titles... mainly because I don't buy any of the 'new 52'. That said, given how quickly Hawk & Dove have failed due to sales, it seems only a matter of months before the same happens to Grifter, Deathstroke & Hawkman.

#50 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Is it too much to ask for a Morrison helmed book about Wonder Woman and Donna Troy called Sensational Comics?

Yes, because Donna Troy doesn't exist.

Anyway, if I were reading anything he's working on, I'd totally boycott!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.