Follow

Rob Liefeld

Person » Rob Liefeld is credited in 1001 issues.

Rob Liefeld is a successful, but controversial artist. A penciler and writer who rose to record-breaking success in the 1990's with titles such as The New Mutants, X-Force, and Youngblood.

Rob Liefeld's response towards Shatterstar and Rictor

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

I wonder if he knows how funny he's being.  It's truly hysterical how over-protective he's being of a character who (even in a story he wrote) has had strangely close connections to Rictor. 

"I have nothing against gays, I have gay family, nuthin’ but love here,”   

"Ditto gay characters if that’s what their true origins are." 

“As the guy that created, designed and wrote his first dozen appearances, Shatterstar is not gay. Sorry. Can’t wait to someday undo this. Seems totally contrived.” 

When a forum member pointed out that other writers continued to flesh out the character after Liefeld left Marvel - some even dropped apparent clues about his sexuality and his relationship with Rictor - Liefeld responded: “Your opinion doesn’t change the fact that it sucks and it’s not a positive move in most fans’ eyes. And it’s all well and fine that you don’t respect a creator’s wishes or intent. I’m different like that.”

Later he added, “Shatterstar is akin to Maximus in Gladiator. He’s a warrior, a Spartan, and not a gay one.”     

Yes, Mr Leifeld.  Because the Spartans weren't famous for their homosexual couplings between an older mentor and a young man.   

Seriously, if it wasn't for the Comics Code Authority, Shatterstar would have been the instant the Age of Apocalypse was over.  In a way, it's a shame that Marvel didn't ditch the CCA sooner, which would have given Loeb a chance to flesh it out over time instead of merely hinting at it. 

X-Force #44
    X-Force #44

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

well, you ask me...technically Rictor isnt gay. he isnt gay, he isnt straight and he isnt bi. he falls in the class of greeedy.
    he just wants some action, doesnt matter if its you, him, her, the dog, the recliner, the Thanksgiving turkey, whatever!
    watch out for that guy. he comes of all dense but he's manipulating everyone, i guarentee.

and Liefled? the guy who promptly displays women as whores, rips off characters right out in the open, tells Marvel to shove it, tells DC to shove it, tells McFarlane, Larson and Image to shove it, all of whom think very, very little of him publicly, and...cant draw a face or physique to save his life, except maybe a constipated looking one? Really, since his opinion doesnt matter to anyone important in the biz, why should it even to anyone else? the only time this guy seems to get talked about is when he pisses someone off.
    nice legacy Robbie!

Nelsonalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Nelsonalot

I think everyone agree Liefeld is a joke, the poor mans Jim Lee

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

I think it's sad that he has to have this extreme reaction against this.  The signs have been there for over a decade, but he didn't complain until it was show to him.  So does he really think that fans are so outraged that they want this to be retconned?  He gave Shatterstar absolutely NO personality.  Even with the recent X-Force & Shatterstar mini series he did just a few years ago, he couldn't let go of the old fashioned 1990's style of story-telling. 

Comics have evolved.  He should just let it go.  He has plenty of Shatterstar clones to mess around with.   

I can't say I'm thrilled to see this development, since it is blatantly an in-your-face style of story telling that doesn't fit with the rest of X-Factor, and it doesn't fit with how the characters have been protrayed previously.  But previously they were contrained by the CCA, so now it's just an all-out-in-the-open wham, bam, thank you ma'am take on a realtionship that fans have been talking about for years. 

So my message to Leifeld:  STFU & live with it. 

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    @xerox-kitty:  Of course love.  Why do you think 300 was written with such little historical accuracy ;-) ?
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @White Mage: LOL!  I thought Frank Miller was there, which was how he knew to write such an accurate story!! ;) 

Anyway, it's just a kiss... it's not like Star bent Ric over and took him roughly from behind!  Although, the way they're going at it, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens next; X-Factor Investigations MAX ;)
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @xerox-kitty: regarding this whole thread Rob Liefeld is just butthurt as usual, it's a shame im from the same city as him
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @geraldthesloth: LOL!  Well, I'm sure he's a nice person once you get to know him... but he needs to accept that he's not GOD when it comes to comics.  He was in 1990, but it's nearly 20 years later and we're way passed the big steroids and macho need to fight, shoot & stab everything that moves ;)  So I hope you're not in the same neighbourhood when he covers his arm in kitchen foil and gets the semi-automatic weapons out!!
    Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Lifeguard85
    @xerox-kitty said:

Later he added, “Shatterstar is akin to Maximus in Gladiator. He’s a warrior, a Spartan, and not a gay one.”     

Yes, Mr Leifeld.  Because the Spartans weren't famous for their homosexual couplings between an older mentor and a young man.   

Seriously, if it wasn't for the Comics Code Authority, Shatterstar would have been the instant the Age of Apocalypse was over.  In a way, it's a shame that Marvel didn't ditch the CCA sooner, which would have given Loeb a chance to flesh it out over time instead of merely hinting at it. 

LOL I know right, thank god someone else knows this, I thought I was the only one since I never saw anyone tell him about the Romans LMAO!

I personally think Liefeld's reaction is ridiculous, but I dont understand why everyone is under the impression that Shatterstar is gay, cant he still be asexual (or whatever), and only be attracted to Rictor because of their close relationship. I think the whole problem with it, for me, is that everyone has to label both characters now, its like they are gay, or bi, or straight oh my! I think people should just enjoy the story since its been hinted at for so long instead of worrying about what category they now fit in.
    Dupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Dupe
    @Lifeguard85: That's exactly what i think, if it adds to the story i'm all for it. And this really was no surprise it was just a matter of when :p
    Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Rob Liefeld is a walking punch-line, the cancer that almost killed the 90's.  The Rictor/Shatterstar relationship is just one more indication of how much better things have gotten since the era of huge guns, deformed muscles and gear-pouches.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Lifeguard85 said:

"I personally think Liefeld's reaction is ridiculous, but I dont understand why everyone is under the impression that Shatterstar is gay, cant he still be asexual (or whatever), and only be attracted to Rictor because of their close relationship. I think the whole problem with it, for me, is that everyone has to label both characters now, its like they are gay, or bi, or straight oh my! I think people should just enjoy the story since its been hinted at for so long instead of worrying about what category they now fit in. "

That's pretty much how I view Shatterstar.  It isn't really a retcon to say he was born gay, or that Benjamin Russel was really gay... more like, Shatterstar was born/created (depending on whether you believe he's Longshot's son) in another universe and never had any experience of intimacy.  Siryn cracked on to him, but he was more puzzled about the effects of alcohol on her.  But he found friendship with Rictor, and somewhere along the line they became more than just friends.  It could have been with anyone of any species or gender who he grew close to, but no-one else was willing to spend the time to get to know him.   

But I'd say that Rictor is bi.  I mean, he's clearly attracted to women, and now he's shown that he's attracted to men too.  He's kissed Boomer, slept with Wolfsbane, and the kiss with Shatterstar seems to indicate that they have been pretty passionate in the past.  So he's just up for anything & everything with anyone! ;)
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

F#ck Rob Leifeld!!!

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Korg

My response to Rob Liefeld would be me gasping for breath from laughing so hard I ruptured my spleen when he said,  “Your opinion doesn’t change the fact that it sucks and it’s not a positive move in most fans’ eyes. And it’s all well and fine that you don’t respect a creator’s wishes or intent. I’m different like that.” 

Oooh Liefeld, you always make me laugh. Too bad it's always out of pity...    

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xerox_kitty

First Storm, now Rob... Vance is feeling pretty horny today ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.