Rob Liefeld's New Project: ZOMBIE JESUS

• 87 results
#51 Posted by excalibur5150 (126 posts) - - Show Bio

Liefeld's involved so that means for my money, I'll stay away from this lil gem or sumthin.
#52 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob Liefeld always looks like he's been eating a sour lemon.

#53 Posted by dondasch (926 posts) - - Show Bio

If by "controversial", you mean "can't draw worth a damn", then your column is succinct and accurate.  Rob Liefeld is still even in the comics industry ?  Now that is a surprise in itself.  The man simply cannot draw and hasn't done anything worthwhile in my memory.  And now ?  His answer to his lack of skills is to parody a religious figure ?  Interesting.  The previous poster got it right, Rob Liefeld is as much, if not more of an attention whore than Mark Millar, with a surprisingly equal lack of talent.

#54 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc said:
"
"
LMAO 

As for that project, not my thing.
#55 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
"doesn't look all that good and it looks really offensive to religious people "

Agreed
#56 Posted by comicbikerscott (152 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome zombie jesus
#57 Posted by kungnima (180 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a christian and I think this is VERY offensive. And stupid too..
What's your opinion Babs?

#58 Posted by oldgum (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of South Park stuff

#59 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

#60 Posted by Sammo21 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

If he was really edgy then this would be Muhammad.  Then again, he doesn't really want to be edgy only get attention for the gimmick.  People use Jesus like this because they know 1.) it will get attention and 2.)they will get no major blowback.  I understand, as a Christian, that this stuff happens but it still gets annoying, especially the double standard.  How about someone go outside the box and mess with someone else's religious figure for once?  Oh, say, President Obama? 

See what I did there.

#61 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

And I'm loving the way he's blatantly re-working scripture to talk about zombies.

Real classic...

#62 Posted by NexusOfLight (1715 posts) - - Show Bio
#63 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

bad...does anyone like liefield anymore?

#64 Posted by Ice Zero (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Gross

#65 Posted by Ice Zero (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Blasphemy

#66 Edited by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
@sammo21 said:

" If he was really edgy then this would be Muhammad.  Then again, he doesn't really want to be edgy only get attention for the gimmick.  People use Jesus like this because they know 1.) it will get attention and 2.)they will get no major blowback.  I understand, as a Christian, that this stuff happens but it still gets annoying, especially the double standard.  How about someone go outside the box and mess with someone else's religious figure for once?  Oh, say, President Obama?  See what I did there. "

1.President Obama has been in several comics and has had his own. 
2.Christians are the largest religious group in the United States and have the most recognizable figure.Leifeld wants attention.Now were giving it to him.Checkmate.
#67 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

Another thing I love about this: His zombies.  
They look just like how zombies should look...rock golems that all look the same.

They're all beefed out! Shurly that is what happens to us when we die. We get ripped in the grave. 

#68 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

Good on him. Jesus needs to be knocked down a few pegs. He was getting far too big for his loincloth britches. I will say, though, that I'm a bit sick of zombies and Liefeld isn't really my cup of tea.    

It looks as though it's a bit wishy washy. It's gimmicky, but doesn't seem to go far enough to embrace its gimmick. I'd have to see more before considering a purchase.

#69 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

NO ONE BUY THIS! If you give Liefeld money I will eat your face!!!!

#70 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

But on a serious note:...Why Liefeld? Why?
When you were drawing in Sunday school and the teacher would come over to you,see what you were doing, and say"wow, are you gonna be an artist in your future? maybe you could do something Christian?"

IS THIS WHAT YOU HAD IN MIND!?! 
ZOMBIE JESUS?!?
No, just...no...
#71 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" NO ONE BUY THIS! If you give Liefeld money I will eat your face!!!! "
That would mark the first time a fake zombie outbreak has spread into reality. Maybe Rob is a genius afterall...
#72 Posted by CRACKERMAN92 (69 posts) - - Show Bio

This is TOTAL  Blasphemy!

#73 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmaprice said:
" Good on him. Jesus needs to be knocked down a few pegs. He was getting far too big for his loincloth britches. I will say, though, that I'm a bit sick of zombies and Liefeld isn't really my cup of tea.      It looks as though it's a bit wishy washy. It's gimmicky, but doesn't seem to go far enough to embrace its gimmick. I'd have to see more before considering a purchase. "
#74 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

I would'nt buy this for all the money in the world.

#75 Posted by woopapa (37 posts) - - Show Bio

what would they say if it were Zombie Muhammad ?! 

just a thought
#76 Posted by Kamen Rider Kajiki (1388 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" doesn't look all that good and it looks really offensive to religious people "
This and how historically inaccurate it is. Pretty much non of the locals nor the Romans where buried like that. They where all laid to rest in family graves dug out in bedrock (As what the two Maria's where planning to do with Jesus). And if i remember correctly the crucified where hung till they rotted away like an imperial warning against uprisings and the remains would then be thrown into a UNMARKED mass grave. No headstone or other bull crap that's an all Christian invention.
#77 Posted by cbishop (7119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Babs: This comes at the oddest time for me.  I just this past week bought a book about zombies and zombie lore around the world (I buy a lot of odd stuff for reference).  Just from the introduction, discussing the different cultural views on people returning from the grave, I had the thought, "From what this is saying, Jesus could conceivably be called a zombie, in some cultures," and I started thinking about what kind of story that could make.  And a couple days later, here's this article, so wow, weird

That said, I am a Christian, and I don't find this remotely offensive.  It's fiction.  It's not like Liefeld is claiming this to be what actually happened in the Bible. 

@Everyone Else: It's also not like this is the first time Christianity has been twisted in comics.  There's the titles mentioned by previous posters: Jesus Hates Zombies (which I haven't had the chance to read), Loaded Bible (which I thought I would be offended at, but was not only really good, it also didn't do a thing to negate the Bible), and Battle Pope (which while funny in spots, had more actual disrespect for God, Jesus, and nuns in it than almost anything else I have seen).  And lest we forget, Garth Ennis' critically-acclaimed Preacher goes WAY further towards blasphemy than Zombie Jesus has so far (which is none at all, IMO).  Preacher actually shows God to be afraid of a man, and gives a man power over God - I'd call that blasphemy for certain.  Why is Ennis acclaimed for his work, but Liefeld shot down before he's even started good? 

This is leaps and bounds better than any work I've ever seen from him, and while not the typical thoughts on Jesus for an American, it's not out of the realm of thought for other cultures.  As for taking one scripture and making a story out of it, religion itslef has been doing that for centuries.  There is a ton of Christian lore out there, many debates on the meaning of a single scripture, and entire sermons and wrong ideologies have come out of single scriptures.  And one of the most prevalent pieces of debate and lore is the Walking Jew - something that's almost as out there as Zombie Jesus, and taken far more serious by far more people.  I think most of the people jumping on the "I hate this already" bandwagon, just because it's Liefeld, need to get off it, and relax.  If this were presented by a more respected artist, or in a novel, you either wouldn't be complaining, or wouldn't give it more than a passing thought.

#78 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

zombie jesus....I need a new weedman

#79 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
@CRACKERMAN92 said:

" This is TOTAL  Blasphemy! "

And?
Blasphemy is like hoodoo. It only applies *if* you lend credibility to the supernatural and that any person or thing is above being ridiculed or parodied. Christianity itself is blasphemous according to other faiths; any faith but Christianity is blasphemous in most sects of Christianity. So, you see, the concept of blasphemy is not only absurd, but ultimately meaningless. Everything offends someone. And when people claim to have a personal understanding of 'sacred' beings they couldn't possibly, everything offends someone's god.
#80 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how in 2010 he still has the same problems with anatomy in his art.

#81 Posted by roxamilli (184 posts) - - Show Bio

As a Christian myself, i'm not as offended as i thought i would be. Actually, i liked it.
#82 Posted by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

The attention of this failed project wouldn't even come close to his fly button commercial.
#83 Posted by Ahmed Sherif (262 posts) - - Show Bio
@roxamilli:
Are you kidding me, I'm not a Christian and I find it very offensive.
#84 Posted by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio

What Would Zombie Jesus Do?

I love offencive things. If it's a violent vulgar blasphemous comedy with cannibalism, sign me up.

#85 Posted by Grandmaster_Fro (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Well if the Christians believe that one day Christ will one day rise again to judge the living and dead, aren't they just saying Jesus is a zombie?

#86 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grandmaster_Fro said:

Well if the Christians believe that one day Christ will one day rise again to judge the living and dead, aren't they just saying Jesus is a zombie?

More or less but they take this stance on the subject:
#87 Posted by avengpymhawk (371 posts) - - Show Bio

When he first came out, he was awsome. from Marvel to Image, but in recent years his work doesn't have me rushing to the comic shop as the days of old. In fact the only creator who still does that to me is Kurt Busiek. I can say that I am zombied-out. FromThe Cell bySteven King, Walking Dead, Marvel Zombies, Blackest Night, Robots Vs. Zombies, and countless of horror novels.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.