Rob Liefeld's New Project: ZOMBIE JESUS

• 87 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
If everyone had to agree on one thing that Rob Liefeld has managed to do successfully over the course of his career, it would probably be his ability to be controversial. When Rob first broke into the comics industry in the early 90's, he became one of Marvel's youngest, and most promising comic book artists. Having worked on books like New Mutants and X-Force, Rob; who essentially taught himself how to draw; set the style for comic book art in the 90's. Yet, Liefeld's work has been criticized as often as it has been praised and with the exception of where Liefeld drew his inspiration for Wade Wilson, most of his haters focused on the anatomy of his art and the endless number of pouches on Cable, and less on the content of his written work. That is, of course until now.

We all know zombies are the "in" genre in comics, right? With books like The Walking Dead becoming television adaptations, and the success of Marvel Zombies, Zombie Deadpool, Blackest Night, and etc.; it is pretty evident that the industry has seen an influx in the number of stories about the undead. So, now would be the perfect time for Liefeld to launch a zombie story, right?

Enter, Zombie Jesus- Rob Liefeld's new comic strip set to be published on his website twice weekly. And yes, Liefeld is talking about that Jesus. The web comic strip seems to give a different interpretation of Christian scripture. No, really, Liefeld used actual scripture as inspiration. The comic is set to recount the 48 hour period where Jesus Christ had been buried in the tomb, before rising to heaven on the third day. Below is the solicit and first installment of his new series. When you bring religious icons into the picture, you have to tread lightly. I just hope that no one alerts FOX NEWS of Liefeld's new project. What do you think of ZOMBIE JESUS? Is it funny? Offensive? Both? Check out the first installment after the jump.

== TEASER ==

MATTHEW 27:51-52 “The earth shook, the rocks broke and tombs opened and many men and women who had died came back to life again. They left the cemetery and went into the city and appeared to many people there.”

THE UNTOLD TALE OF THE 48 HOURS FOLLOWING THE DEATH OF CHRIST!  

#1 Posted by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

Errrmm.... EXTREME!!!!!!!!
At least no one's wearing pouches which is a step up.

#2 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

it seems lame to me (and not because I hate Liefeld, I have no feelings towards the guy one way or another), everyone's already done the various Jesus comics, do we need another? I think Loaded Bible, Battle Pope and American Jesus pretty much covered all the bases, this isn't controversial just an attempt to join the zombie movement that's taken over ALL popular culture...

#3 Posted by Sexy Merc (42076 posts) - - Show Bio

#4 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc said:
"
"
lol
#5 Posted by danhimself (22648 posts) - - Show Bio

doesn't look all that good and it looks really offensive to religious people

#6 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc said:
"
"
LMAO Awesome.
#7 Posted by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

What is there to think of...it's just......okay I can take Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. That was at least entertaining, but this is just the definition of textbook joining the bandwagon(Not the first time since he has a clear resume of doing it). Wow...just wow.  

#8 Edited by unidentified (16 posts) - - Show Bio

He's obviously an atheist attempting to tick off Christians. I question why some atheist's feel they need to belittle others' religion. If you don't believe in anything then what do you care?
#9 Posted by ForbushBug (496 posts) - - Show Bio

"Consistently sucking" isn't the same thing as "being controversial." And people don't concentrate on his written work because, well, when he's not being propped up by Fabian Niecza, Rob can't write a Hostess ad.
#10 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

its one thing to use the lords name in vain but just to use him to sell is just wrong o.o what the fudge

#11 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

seems like he's trying to be controversial, which is never as good as when someone does it naturally without effort. 

Bandwagon jumping doesn't do much for the image either, kind of says you're running out of your own ideas.

#12 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

If I want to see a real Zombie Jesus, I'll just go back to Sunday school, thanks

#14 Posted by Tmul501 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

That's stupid

#15 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio

I find this offensive and I'm not even Christian. Mostly I feel that my feeble intelligence has been insulted...

#16 Posted by Thunderscream (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

ugh, papyrus.....that alone would be enough to make me shriek in disdain

#17 Posted by Icarusflies (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

.....Just....why?

#18 Edited by OrionStarlancer (126 posts) - - Show Bio

Would it be fair to assume that Leifeld will have no scenes with feet since he so greatly fears them? 

Here is some proof of how terrible Leifeld really is:   
http://progressiveboink.com/archive/robliefeld.html 

All of you should read that.  All of you.

#19 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@Icarusflies said:
".....Just....why? "
  Don't steal my question. 

*Ahem* 

Why?
#20 Posted by Rabbit Tots (477 posts) - - Show Bio

Liefiled hasn't done anything that special besides giving birth to my favorite character Cable in the 90s. Really... there isn't anything he has done since then besides make awful art. No hard feelings Rob.
#21 Posted by RecSpec (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet Zombie Jesus!

#22 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, ANOTHER reason to hate Rob Liefeld...
#23 Posted by Red Rum (357 posts) - - Show Bio

This $#!+ should be good...

#24 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (531 posts) - - Show Bio

mhm....this won't be controversial at all.

#25 Posted by .o0Johnny0o. (757 posts) - - Show Bio

" Alan just wants to get paid more money, that’s it. Sorry Alan. I got my body of work out of Alan Moore, he doesn’t intimidate me, I don’t put him on a pedestal like Jack Kirby and Frank Miller. He’s just a guy who wants to get paid, and he cuts deals for himself that he doesn’t like down the line, and then he gets whiny and cries about it " - Rob Liefeld

Writer of Watchmen, V for Vendetta, From Hell and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.. Liefeld can't draw feet.

Super Soldi- ARGH! BURN IT WITH FIRE!

I have no doubt the re-interpretation of scripture could be a pretty cool idea but with Liefeld at the helm, I sense vulgarity on the horizon.
#26 Posted by ForbushBug (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rabbit Tots said:
"Liefiled hasn't done anything that special besides giving birth to my favorite character Cable in the 90s. Really... there isn't anything he has done since then besides make awful art. No hard feelings Rob. "

Louise Simonson had a lot to do with that particular birthing.
#27 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just to blasphemous.

#28 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chibi-Iroh said:
" This is just to blasphemous. "
And not even funny or intriguing 
#29 Posted by Grendel (560 posts) - - Show Bio

Is he going to have Zombie Jesus visit Peter David and stone him to death for making Shatterstar gay?

#30 Posted by blaakmawf (187 posts) - - Show Bio

Just illustrates how dumb religion is.

#31 Posted by 5ive (90 posts) - - Show Bio

theres a saying that goes "haters are fans too" and i think thats so true. People claim how much they hate the guy yet they follow his work. He has two of the most popular characters under his built and a art style that we all know without seeing a signature. i give props where props are due

#32 Posted by zombietag (1499 posts) - - Show Bio

besides the fact that theres already JESUS HATES ZOMBIES (which is terrible within itself) this just seems dumb. as someone who believes wholeheartidly in the bible, im not offended at this as much as it just seems silly. taking ONE VERSE and trying to create a whole story of just silliness. lame.

#33 Edited by FoxxFireArt (3561 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I'll take zombies over emo-sparkling vampires any day. You can't really do the teen angst things with zombies.

Freedom of speech isn't just for those you agree with. While I think this is a rather silly interpretation and off color. He can produce it if he wishes. I on the other hand will avoid it. If you are offended or just don't like this idea. Just don't encourage it and move on to things you do enjoy. Leave this for the people who want this kind of thing.

This strike me as just a crass attempt of being controversial for the sake of controversy. This doesn't make something good or "edgy". Controversy is fine if you have a message to speak. Look at a book such as V for Vendetta. The comic and the movie were considered controversial, but it had a message it wanted the audience to understand. It was trying to show us where the world could go if we just hand over our freedoms and choices because we're scared. As Patrick Henry said, "Give me liberty, or give me death.".

I remember FOX News was all upset about the idea of the terrorist element of the movie V for Vendetta.They called it glorifying terrorism. Though, they were completely glossing over the fact that it was an uprising against a corrupt government that controlled the press and had death squads.
Now a days, FOX News would probably love the idea of this movie. Given that one of their golden girls, Michelle Bachmann, tried to invoke Guy Fawkes last year. If a Democrat had done this same thing under President Bush. FOX News would be demanding an arrest.

Hell, if FOX News hears of this comic. It's just going to increase the attention, and make him more money.
#34 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

I lol'd. Totally gonna check this out.

#35 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

As an atheist the concept makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

#36 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@ForbushBug said:
" "Consistently sucking" isn't the same thing as "being controversial." And people don't concentrate on his written work because, well, when he's not being propped up by Fabian Niecza, Rob can't write a Hostess ad. "
hey now, there were some twinkee ads back in the 80's I just loved in my comic books, lets not tear them down to that level :)
#37 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt:  best reply to this topic, I need not say what I had in mind as you already have
#38 Posted by Emerald Dragonfly (212 posts) - - Show Bio

You know what? This is crap. It's not good to make such a thing of religion.

#39 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't wanna sound like a stupid goody two shoes boyscout but this is REALLY OFFENSIVE TO ME!!! and extremely distastefull this is really really bad stuff that this guy is doing here as if he didn't annoy me enough now he is going to go and rewrite the scriptures from the Bible that are really important. Once again I don't want to sound like a troll but I really had to say this because what Liefeld is doing is extremely blasphemous and not mention stupid, not funny, lame and unoriginal.

#40 Posted by The Average Bear (2080 posts) - - Show Bio
Get ready for Over-Protective Moms of America to destroy this
#41 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Offensive to look at and read? Double kill! 

i'm not even religious, but this is really stupid. Rob Liefield just GO AWAY

#42 Posted by NightFang (10149 posts) - - Show Bio
@RecSpec said:
" Sweet Zombie Jesus! "
It's that a song?
#43 Posted by Vance Astro (91289 posts) - - Show Bio

Only in America can you be terrible at what you do and still get work.

#44 Posted by SuperAgentDeadpool (15 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like pineapples are in Rob Liefeld's future! 

#45 Posted by J1ml33 (540 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" Only in America can you be terrible at what you do and still get work. "
well it`s a free country after all and zombie Jesus just seems right for the short time being just hope that this does not go into trade paper back and make this guy  rich ( or then again who knows Hopefully everyone sees it for what it is `` a cheep gimmick with style over substance and zombies after your overly intelligent brains )all I can say is this :HA HA !
#46 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

Offensive, not offensive, whatever. Freedom of speech. If you don't like the idea of Zombie Jesus, DON'T READ IT. He's not forcing anyone to read it, does anyone have a right to tell someone they can't write whatever they want to? They're writing it, and people who are interested in it will read it. Don't like it? Don't read it! If somebody wants to write all sorts of racist slurs and rape scenes or whatever on their own time on their own website, what right does anyone have to stop them? They are writing what they think is true or funny, and trying to stop them because it offends you, as long as it's not being shown in full form out for everyone to see, only makes you as shallow minded as you think the person is. In this case it is a website which you would have to GO TO in order to read. If it offends you, DON'T GO THERE. The creator is enjoying himself, some people who are reading it are enjoying themselves, and as long as you don't go there, it's not hurting anyone. Especially in a case like this, where this is clearly an attempt at comedy and not discrimination or hate crimes. It's all in good fun for some people, and if they want to have fun, just let them. By saying it shouldn't be allowed to exist, you're letting the author be the bigger man, who's just trying to have a laugh and share it a bit, not forcing you to read it or to not read something else.

All that said, I still think this looks stupid. I doubt I'm going to even remember it in a few days. But hey, it's something free on the internet so it's not taking away airtime or publishing space from anything good. Do whatever the hell you want Rob, you crazy crazy man.

(All I can think about after reading the title is Futurama."Sweet Zombie Jesus!" Lol.)

#47 Posted by LiquidSwords (115 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob Liefeld is trying to hard! 
 http://progressiveboink.com/archive/robliefeld.html (Probably posted before)

#48 Posted by Bio Guyver (6855 posts) - - Show Bio

Die.....just die.
#49 Posted by RalfvdH (651 posts) - - Show Bio

everything looks rushed to me. The greys looks sketchy. The lightning bolt effect is pathetic 
And the drawings looks like he drawn them while taking an dump....and I wasn't a big fan of his work to begin with....

#50 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't he already do this comic?

Oops, no, that was Zeus vs. Jesus. Did twice in 1995:
 http://www.comicvine.com/avengelyne-glory-/37-121059/
and '96:
 http://www.comicvine.com/glory-avengelyne-long-live-queen-faith/37-121060/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.