Rob Liefeld Takes Over Three DC Ongoing Series

#201 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

I'm betting anything, you all still buy these.

i wont. I was absolutely ecstatic for Hawk and Dove. But i picked it up day one and couldnt even read the first few pages, Rob's art was that distracting. I love and am loving Deathstroke, but i keep looking at that picture of Rob's version and i seriously loose my appetite. To eat. Food. i've honestly only ever lost my appetite when i was actively vomiting, and when im looking at Liefeld versons of my favorite characters.

so dont make that bet.

#202 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

You know what, I hate the guys art but I'm man enough to admit that the man can draw a hell of allot better than I can

#203 Posted by kartron (420 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

Tony Daniel posted on his Facebook that the heavy deadlines is what drove him to making the decision to leave Hawkman and focus on DETECTIVE COMICS.

I only hope Detective comics get better now that we have more attention......

#204 Posted by 5ive (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Liefeld sells books. As much as so many people claim to hate him, he has books in your collection. I think some fan boys just buy his stuff to have something to blog about lol. There is no denying that he is the only creator (deadpool and cable) who made marvel characters in the 90's that are still relevant today. He also most likely holds the record for the highest selling single issue independent book (youngbloods #1). Been a fan and still a fan. And im pretty sure everyone is going to see the Deadpool movie

#205 Posted by entropy_aegis (14123 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dark Noldor: It's jpsmith,just ignore him.He thinks Morrison is crap but is willing to give Liefeld a chance.

#206 Posted by xX2nite_alriteXx (12 posts) - - Show Bio

*sigh*...and just when I was liking Deathstroke enough to consider not dropping it. C'est la vie...

#207 Posted by simian (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I guess that's two series I don't have to follow anymore.

#208 Posted by EpitomeofCool (2779 posts) - - Show Bio

thats funny....

#209 Posted by SuperXAsh (506 posts) - - Show Bio

And the usual round of liefeld bashing commences. 9_9

#210 Posted by Pounder_McJones (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Liefeld's art is stuck in a time vortex...one that's stuck in the 90's

#211 Posted by Raven575 (38 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF? You fail on your own series and as a reward you get to screw up three other ones?

WTF?

#212 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio

So the guy had ONLY ONE book and was the lowest selling, critical bomb of the new 52, one of the absolute worst
,not to mention he also writes marvel;s worst most horrible comic deadpool, now he gets THREE freaking books
whoever made this decision  need to have their head reexamined 
even morrisonand snyder dont write three titles

#213 Posted by Mahzian (115 posts) - - Show Bio

actually I've changed my mind, if he can still draw while driving his art isn't too bad, though seriously he is doing himself a disservice, imagine what his art would be like if he drew on something like a desk:

#214 Posted by Chris2KLee (173 posts) - - Show Bio

That's how you save a series, by bringing on literally one of the worst artist/writers of all time. And why hold back? Shotgun that shit X3!

#215 Posted by machudson (7 posts) - - Show Bio

My eyes!!! I once had pupils with my eyes, is what the characters should be saying now.

#216 Posted by NodNolan (109 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

Ready for this?

Thank (your local deity) he is plotting Grifter! Liefeld will be a godsend to that book and to Savage Hawkman!

I'm not too into him drawing Deathstroke, but it will be interesting to see his writing.

This message brought to you by one of the few people that respects Rob Liefeld.

A lot of people respect Liefeld. But most of us got bored of these same arguements 18 years ago...

when people stop rehashing the same old same old. I grace them with a response.

Its just frustrating that these are probably the same people who missed out on the awesome OMAC due to blind hatred of Didio.

#217 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a good way to end a series and blame it on the readers for not buying enough.

#218 Posted by Scribbles (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, at least Deathstroke won't have to worry about having feet.

#219 Posted by The_Mercenary (1885 posts) - - Show Bio

DS's art was looking so good... Nothing against Liefeld, just think the other guy did it better :(

#220 Edited by Kal'smahboi (3455 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Mercenary said:

DS's art was looking so good... Nothing against Liefeld, just think the other guy did it better :(

Everything against Liefeld.
 Also, I just love what Daniel is doing is doing with Hawkman. I just hope that Liefeld isn't drawing it, too.
#221 Posted by SupermanJohnathanKentJr (300 posts) - - Show Bio

wait, Grifter?! I forgot about the Wildstorm crossovers. How's his series so far?

#222 Posted by 5ive (90 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mahzian said:

actually I've changed my mind, if he can still draw while driving his art isn't too bad, though seriously he is doing himself a disservice, imagine what his art would be like if he drew on something like a desk:

key words "who else is working" respect the grind

#223 Edited by mattiebatslayer (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@higher_evolutionary said:

So the guy had ONLY ONE book and was the lowest selling, critical bomb of the new 52, one of the absolute worst
,not to mention he also writes marvel;s worst most horrible comic deadpool, now he gets THREE freaking books
whoever made this decision need to have their head reexamined
even morrisonand snyder dont write three titles

Thanks for all those wonderful pictures and grammar you used! Anyways, Synder actually has Batman, Swamp Thing and American Vampire. One, two, three!

#224 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

deathstroke fighting lobo? 0.o no that dude again... i think deathstroke will die out during his run. but i do think that rob will do good on hawkman. just have a filling he'll take it in the direction it needs to go. tony was taking it in a dark path. and honestly i dont see hawkman really in a dark path-set. he's more Action! and explosions! with a tad bit of mystery. hopefully he will do well...cant wait to see the art. and i dotn read grifter but best of luck to him on that

#225 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke's never looked that Deadpool-y.

Yeah, I know, "ironic"!

#226 Posted by Dark Noldor (547 posts) - - Show Bio

It awes me the fact that an "artist" whose only "creation", that wasn't a total rip-off, happened more than 20 years in the past (and I totaly desconsider Deadpool,'cause this character blows, so it's only Cable in the equation, though I believe this is more Nicieza or Editorial than Liefeld, but that's just a personal opinion, not fact), focusing, I really get so surprised (in a bad way) that Rob Liefeld gets so much credit and trust from people in charge of DC, also by comic readers to the fact that he doesn't suck in writing, only is persecuted or hated because it's cool (what a moronic argument)!! WTF!! I dare people to point out one good story writen by Mr. Liefeld!! Avengelyne?!? Prophet?!?! Captain America Heroes Reborn?!?! Fighting America?!?! Youngblood?!?!? Please don't mention Supreme, 'cause this is all Alan Moore! So yeah, I already got the general idea to make a conclusion, WITHOUT WASTING MY MONEY AND READING A PIECE OF CRAP STORY, that everything produced by Mr. Liefeld is worthless and tasteless! I don't have to be biten by a snake to know it hurts and that it's poisonous, this is called COMMOM SENSE, a genuine way of knowlegde, and the commom sense is that Rob Liefeld is a horrible "artist"!

#227 Posted by Dedpool (292 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW!! WHy did he even have Hawk and Dove, now he's going to kill Deathstroke and Hawkman too! UGH!

#228 Posted by Mokey (188 posts) - - Show Bio

HAH! JOKE'S ON YOU, DC! I DIDN'T READ THESE TITLES ANYWAY! HAHAHAHA!

#229 Posted by UnosInfinitos (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob Lefield, why u no anatomy?!

#230 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5047 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark Noldor

It awes me the fact that an "artist" whose only "creation", that wasn't a total rip-off, happened more than 20 years in the past (and I totaly desconsider Deadpool,'cause this character blows, so it's only Cable in the equation, though I believe this is more Nicieza or Editorial than Liefeld, but that's just a personal opinion, not fact), focusing, I really get so surprised (in a bad way) that Rob Liefeld gets so much credit and trust from people in charge of DC, also by comic readers to the fact that he doesn't suck in writing, only is persecuted or hated because it's cool (what a moronic argument)!! WTF!! I dare people to point out one good story writen by Mr. Liefeld!! Avengelyne?!? Prophet?!?! Captain America Heroes Reborn?!?! Fighting America?!?! Youngblood?!?!? Please don't mention Supreme, 'cause this is all Alan Moore! So yeah, I already got the general idea to make a conclusion, WITHOUT WASTING MY MONEY AND READING A PIECE OF CRAP STORY, that everything produced by Mr. Liefeld is worthless and tasteless! I don't have to be biten by a snake to know it hurts and that it's poisonous, this is called COMMOM SENSE, a genuine way of knowlegde, and the commom sense is that Rob Liefeld is a horrible "artist"!

Claps!! THIS!!
#231 Posted by ObsideonDarman (62 posts) - - Show Bio

When was that image drawn? the mid 90's? AMMARITE? WHO'S WITH ME? HUH? HUH? oh....

#232 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4689 posts) - - Show Bio

It still won't make Deathstroke interesting.

#233 Posted by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW! This is ....... just terrible news. Liefeld is just garbage, apparently he was able to convince someone that Hawk and Dove are just lame doomed to fail characters versus that truth that he can't write or draw.

So much for the new 52, how about stuffy early 92.

#234 Edited by ThomasElliot (360 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get how anyone can look at the render of Deathstroke above and then accuse haters of being anti-Liefeld because its a 'trendy or bandwagon thing to do'.

I would admit, he gets it harder than a lot of other 'bad' creators out there... but look long and hard at that Deathstroke w/ his glorious shoulder...uh.. rings? And rectangular box pistol with no detail and the amazingly proportioned and posed torso/waist... and tell me again why you think he's any good?

I admit... back in the 90s and during Heroes Reborn I didn't think badly of Liefeld... then a good friend (this is around early 2000's) started pulling Liefeld books out of my collection and started flipping pages to show me how lazy some of his art was.

Its not that Liefeld is bad or mediocre... its that he's bad and mediocre but got treated like top talent for a really long time.

#235 Posted by Omega-Man (760 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao, deathstroke is a boring book anyway. I'm surprised Deathstroke wasn't cancelled instead of Static which was a much better book than Deathstroke, Grifter again a very boring book this should have been cancelled I don't mind Grifter but the DC main earth is NOT his home. And I am actully a fan of the Deathstroke character but I really don't like his Final Fantasy sword and his book was boring his older series was better than this.

#236 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Liefeld haters are hilarious & a lot of it seems to comes down to just jealousy. Just reading some of these posts and people act like Liefeld killed their dog or something.

It's perfectly OK to not like someone's work but the degree of hate that comes out for Liefeld just doesn't make sense. It's amazing how people like to discredit him for his accomplishments. The guy created Deadpool, Cable & X-Force. It's funny how people will pretend that he didn't and it was clearly some other writer or artist. So what if he got inspiration from someone else, name me one artist or writer that didn't get inspiration from someone else that came before them? There's still a market for his Extreme titles and there are clearly a lot fans of his work. Otherwise he wouldn't be in this business unlike you, (insert random Liefeld hater).

#237 Posted by Nintendhater (1 posts) - - Show Bio

This is ridiculous hate. I know the dude can't draw that well, but he's only the worst of the best. How many of you can even try to draw Deathstroke like that? Believe me, not many. Why don't you try drawing the book and come crying because nobody likes your stick figures? Get this; the man is only trying to do his job. I wonder why DC would go out and hire an artist. Maybe because an artist, especially in this freakin' economy, needs a freakin' job. All he needs to do is make a visual interpretation of the story, which he does with ease, just as any artist does.

#238 Posted by TheReaper111 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is full of idiots for even giving this guy work,guess im dropping deathstroke now........

#239 Posted by Praetor_fenix (222 posts) - - Show Bio

Liefeld? really? well nice job DC you've lost all the faith i had in any of those weak ass books working.

#240 Posted by phattdeej (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to live on this planet any more.

#241 Posted by BuckyFTW (8 posts) - - Show Bio

How does he still find work? Unless Doc Brown has sent us all back to the 90's.

#242 Posted by Dark Noldor (547 posts) - - Show Bio
#243 Edited by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob rocks!!!!

I cannot wait to see how much he improves Deathstroke, Grifter AND the Savage Hawkman in May.

Thank you Rob!!!

(I hear that hating Rob has become passe. The new mob trend is to like him. Come aboard sheep, come aboard. Don't think for yourselves.)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.