Rob Liefeld Takes Over Three DC Ongoing Series

#51 Posted by Solarflare32 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else see the cable resemblence here

#52 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

@Joe Venom: The issue with Hawk and Dove was not the art. Sterling Gates couldn't get out of his way. He did a horrible job on the writing.

Wow was the story that bad?

#53 Posted by Darkmount1 (1267 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, look. We have the Pro-Liefeld guys on one side, and the anti-Liefeld guys on the other. I am getting absolutely sick of all the constant arguing over this guy's work and its quality, so let me say this:

To all the anti-Liefeld people here, answer this question, and I do mean answer--is there ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING, that Liefeld has done in his entire career, that was GOOD??? Can you name anything of his that you actually thought (and others thought) was high-quality material? PLEASE?? I'll be waiting for an answer, and believe me, I mean it:

#54 Edited by frogjitsu (476 posts) - - Show Bio

ROTFLMAFO! Liefeld haters will hate. And the internet was foolishly rejoicing cancellation of his other title too. Too soon, too soon. The internet should've known that it was to good to be true.

#55 Posted by CanucksXVX (53 posts) - - Show Bio

this is what i wrote previously beofre comicvine posted this article in the "casualties of DC's the new 52" article... this just in, Rob liefield is about to take over Hawkman, Deathstroke and grifter, so my fellow comic lovers, please say good bye to these three titles. (Liefield is a better artist than me by far, but i hate his art with a passion, and now he is going to ruin one of my favourite characters, Hawkman, and i am really not happy)Geoff Johns really got me into Hawk and Dove in Blackest Night/ Brightest Day, but liefield got that series cancelled, so i have a slight grudge, no disrespect to any other fans or DC Comics but that is my opinion.Im pretty sure im not alone on this one.

#56 Posted by Benuben (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@Darkmount1 said:

Okay, look. We have the Pro-Liefeld guys on one side, and the anti-Liefeld guys on the other. I am getting absolutely sick of all the constant arguing over this guy's work and its quality, so let me say this:

To all the anti-Liefeld people here, answer this question, and I do mean answer--is there ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING, that Liefeld has done in his entire career, that was GOOD??? Can you name anything of his that you actually thought (and others thought) was high-quality material? PLEASE?? I'll be waiting for an answer, and believe me, I mean it:

Shouldn't you ask such question Pro-Liefeld people?

#57 Posted by frogjitsu (476 posts) - - Show Bio

It's ironic that Liefeld is now at the helm of the character that his most famous creation was a parody of.

#58 Posted by JonesDeini (3619 posts) - - Show Bio

@BradBrains said:

Nooo. Linkara is gonna be pissed

LMAO HA!!!!! To quote Chris Sims of Comicsalliance. There's something very depressing yet comforting about the fact that Rob can keep getting work in comics.

#59 Posted by Darkmount1 (1267 posts) - - Show Bio

@Benuben: I'm directing it at the Anti-Lifelders BECAUSE I want them to put their bias aside and find the courage to actually admit something. Pro-Li's are biased because they like his work already.

#60 Posted by KidSupreme (824 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth: i'm happy to see some ppl out there like Liefeld also. I have mixed feelings a part of me loves the idea of him working on comics an yet another part of me hates it. He isn't the greats but by far is not the worst. I grew up reading his books in the earily 80's till the 90's when he exploded.

#61 Edited by JonesDeini (3619 posts) - - Show Bio

@Darkmount1 said:

@Benuben: I'm directing it at the Anti-Lifelders BECAUSE I want them to put their bias aside and find the courage to actually admit something. Pro-Li's are biased because they like his work already.

He created Cable/X-Force something other writers went on to make worth while and even great. He also created Majestic (if I'm not mistaken). He was integral in founding Image, one of the best indies in the market. He's done some good in the sense that he set up things for others to work with and make something truly great out of it. But his actual work with those things? Well I find both the art and writing to have been crap. Oh yeah, he also created properties that went on to be some of my favorite action figures when I was a kid. Thanks, Rob lol

#62 Posted by DarthShap (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogjitsu said:

It's ironic that Liefeld is now at the helm of the character that his most famous creation was a parody of.

It is ironic.

It is also moronic on DC 's part.

In all seriousness, how blind and deaf are Lee, Johns, DiDio and Co? PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO BUY ROB LIEFELD COMICS!

I mean, Hawk and Dove had great momentum, just out of two critically acclaimed series, Brightest Day and Simone's BoP and yet, Liefeld managed to kill their solo series in less than five months.

It is like DC wants to have these three series canceled just so that they can replace them by another wave of #1.

#63 Posted by Bluefox170 (382 posts) - - Show Bio
#64 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joe Venom said:

I'm Pretty sure hes the reason Hawk and Dove will be ending in April, so why Madrox him over three other books....whatever just stay away from my 'Resurrection Man'!

This, If he gets anywhere near Resurrection Man I'm going after him and he won't be coming back

#65 Posted by pikahyper (11360 posts) - - Show Bio

god d@mn Liefeld !!!

#66 Posted by Darkmount1 (1267 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonesDeini: So what you're saying is, while his work in actually telling stories in comics isn't up to par, his foundational work was the only good thing to come out of his time in the comics industry?

Anyone else want to add to this, or 'beg to differ'?

#67 Posted by Kastiel (8919 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF?!  

#68 Posted by ARMIV2 (8271 posts) - - Show Bio

...*sigh*...

Well whatever, I wasn't that big of a Deathstroke fan anyway...
#69 Posted by VanAce (138 posts) - - Show Bio

I have nothing against Liefeld at all. I know at of people do. But I will be interested in his Hawkman series. While I liked the potential that Tony Daniel had for the series it was very clear that Detective Comics was his bigger concern. I am sure the second arc will be better as it has a co-writer.

Also is Liefeld still doing an a book with Kirkman over at Image?

#70 Posted by hero4hire (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone who hates on Rob like this is a jive bandwagon sucka!

He had a rough start but the man has grown better and I love that he kept going.

He has steam rolled all the negativity and built upon his own unique style which many artist can't say.

I'm glad he's gonna work on Slade. This is his element.

#71 Posted by Avalonia (297 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kastiel said:

WTF?!

<333

#72 Posted by Dakotax6 (36 posts) - - Show Bio
#73 Posted by VaizD (243 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as Leifeld never gets his hands on any major ongoing series about characters people actually care about, we're good.

#74 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5018 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darkmount1

Don't you mean pro- Liefeld? If you're anti like most if the people on this thread there's pretty much nothing he's done that was good.

Rob Liefeld working on 3 titles after already having one yanked ?. Welcome to DC's the new 49!!
#75 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12398 posts) - - Show Bio

.....Why does death stroke look like an evil bumblebee?

#76 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

Well get ready to see three more titles cancelled.

Wish there was a "Like" button I could push for that comment.

#77 Posted by demokigger@gmail.com (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Hawkman as the linguist not a alien gladiator.

#78 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehhh, it wasn't like I was picking up any comics anytime soon.

#79 Posted by Farwind (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, and Deathstroke just started getting good.

#80 Posted by Inverno (13034 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Rob Liefeld not fired?

#81 Posted by Farwind (67 posts) - - Show Bio

"And then there are a group of young hybrids known as the Omegas that Deathstroke is charged with..."

The above is a quote from an interview on Ign. Way to counteract probably the best moment so far in the Deathstroke title.

#82 Posted by Darkmount1 (1267 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon: As I told Benuben already,

I'm directing it at the Anti-Lifelders BECAUSE I want them to put their bias aside and find the courage to actually admit something. Pro-Li's are biased because they like his work already.

#83 Posted by sociald1077 (34 posts) - - Show Bio

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

*Uses the force to randomly crush things*

Please not Deathstroke. It is way too fun of a book to be taken over by that hack. Maybe DC wants these title to follow in the foot steps of Hawk and Dove.

#84 Posted by stormtrance1618 (146 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm to new to comics to know anything about Liefeld, but I was really enjoying Deathstroke. I hope it continues to be good, but he looks really different and he's gonna go against Lobo? I'm not thrilled. I had already dropped Grifter and Hawkman. Those will be the next 2 canceled. I really wish they would have kept the same team on Deathstroke.

#85 Posted by Renchamp (2268 posts) - - Show Bio

I still maintain that Liefeld revolutionized comics in the early 90s. He made them brutal. I don't like most of what he did (I don't even like what he did that I like) but I can recognize what he did.

#86 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

Liefeld + deathstroke + the main man lobo himself = hold on tight folks, a time warps opend and its tugging us back to the EXtReaM years of the 1990's! Under your seats you shall find your oversized shoulderpads that will protect you in the event of a crash landing and also make you 10% more cool for the period. Ladies i will warn you that right now your waist shall shrink to unhealthy levels while your bust expands to unatural levels, your clothing will become just a clevage that joins at the hip and your pelvis will be shifted to an uncomfortable position. I also advice that everyone take good care of your feet as they will become more pointed and un-useable. :P

#87 Posted by CaptainCockblock (3672 posts) - - Show Bio

Has DC not deduced that Rob Liefeld is poison to a book's readership? Even if he has improved recently (slightly, and I mean SLIGHTLY), his reputation is still enough to make almost any reader's eyes roll, and the best of his work isn't good enough to change any minds. Good to see Lobo, though.

#88 Posted by Rick475069 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear. Some of you f**king people need to lighten up.

#89 Posted by ZENOiR (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I have nothing against Liefeld but what I really don't like about this, is that he's replacing Higgins on Deathstroke. Okey it started off slow but it's getting better and better so I feel really sorry for him that DC decided to take him off the book, Nightwing proves he's a good writer. According to an article on IGN with Liefeld, he already wanted to do deathstroke 2 years ago so why didn't they put him on deathstroke in september? Save everyone the trouble.

As for hawkman and grifter, they were both on my pull-list in september and now not any more so yes those books are in desperate need for new creative teams, whether or not Liefeld will fix things remains to be seen. Something I've also wondered is, why doesn't Jim Lee do grifter? Didn't he create the character?

#90 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

@hero4hire said:

Everyone who hates on Rob like this is a jive bandwagon sucka!

He had a rough start but the man has grown better and I love that he kept going.

He has steam rolled all the negativity and built upon his own unique style which many artist can't say.

I'm glad he's gonna work on Slade. This is his element.

I've only read a little of his written stuff, so perhaps I'm not suitable to judge him *BUT* you gotta admit this decision is strange.

Hawk & Dove fails due to his work on it (they got a fair amount of attention in Birds of Prey and Brightest Day, I'm sure DC built up an audience for the two up to the reboot), and then, they put him on THREE titles. It's like he's being rewarded for failing, it's not right.

#91 Posted by sweetesttoaster (144 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dakotax6: hahah lmao

#92 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

@Herx: lol

#93 Edited by EnigmaMystery (24 posts) - - Show Bio

....Are... are you serious? This can't be serious... Of all the possible artists to even put on the bankroll at DC.. why Liefeld? My left toe can draw better then Liefeld.

#94 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

@Herx said:

Liefeld + deathstroke + the main man lobo himself = hold on tight folks, a time warps opend and its tugging us back to the EXtReaM years of the 1990's! Under your seats you shall find your oversized shoulderpads that will protect you in the event of a crash landing and also make you 10% more cool for the period. Ladies i will warn you that right now your waist shall shrink to unhealthy levels while your bust expands to unatural levels, your clothing will become just a clevage that joins at the hip and your pelvis will be shifted to an uncomfortable position. I also advice that everyone take good care of your feet as they will become more pointed and un-useable. :P

Win

#95 Posted by Owie (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

Too too too funny. Honestly where are all the good writers and artists? Why does DC not know who they are?

#96 Posted by SoA (4670 posts) - - Show Bio

so next 3 books cancelled is deathstroke, hawkman , and grifter .

#97 Posted by notarandomguy (316 posts) - - Show Bio

kill me please !!! this means deathstroke is gonna be cancelled (not that I care but I like how the new book is going) Hawkman will be a piece of crap again and for the first time I was getting interested in the character and more important when I see ''Grifter gets cancelled'' i am going to die.... my personal favorites of the new 52 are flash, aquaman, the shade, grifter and green lantern.... *preparing myself to lose one of my favorites*

#98 Posted by kadosho_16bit (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I find myself really concerned on decisions this "New 52" is becoming. Liefeld is a talent that is... um different than most digest when it comes to mainstream names. I thought the 90's were in limbo with comics with his work. I haven't kept up with reading comics in awhile, so I will keep a note of what Liefeld is working on, and move on to another comic. Sorry.

#99 Posted by The Stegman (22722 posts) - - Show Bio

[insert i hate Liefeld comment here]

#100 Edited by Vance Astro (91059 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm betting anything, you all still buy these.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.