Rob Liefeld Takes Over Three DC Ongoing Series

Posted by G-Man (29420 posts) - - Show Bio

Yesterday we had the announcement of the "Second Wave" of comics with DC's "The New 52." Six new titles were announced along with six that were getting canceled. To add to this news, DC has announced today some creative changes on three existing ongoing titles. Rob Liefeld is going to be a busy guy in the coming months.

Liefeld will be joining the creative teams of DEATHSTROKE, GRIFTER, and THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN. What exactly will this entail? Liefeld will be writing and illustrating DEATHSTROKE (as you can see with the accompanying image and one he teased by making it his Twitter icon). Liefeld will also be plotting THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN and GRIFTER.

How will Liefeld begin his run on DEATHSTROKE? Slade will be fighting none other than Lobo. Lobo? Really? It doesn't really fit in with the current direction but clearly we'll be going with a new direction come May.

Tony Daniel posted on his Facebook that the heavy deadlines is what drove him to making the decision to leave Hawkman and focus on DETECTIVE COMICS. Liefeld plans to put the Thanagarian warrior in an intergalactic arena fighting "alien foes in extreme gladiatorial combat."

Grifter will continue his fight against the Daemonite threat and there is mention of familiar faces surfacing along with the teased appearance of Deathblow!

Get ready for a lot of changes this May.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by inferi22 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you sure this post isn't a joke

#2 Edited by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Very exciting news about Grifter. I have to wonder who the rest of the creative team is.

This gives me reason to stick with Deathstroke.

#3 Posted by longbowhunter (5841 posts) - - Show Bio

Well get ready to see three more titles cancelled.

#4 Posted by inferi22 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

This has got a to be an april's fools post just a few months off

#5 Posted by rym (339 posts) - - Show Bio

seriously

this has got to be a joke

#6 Posted by Markall (174 posts) - - Show Bio

remind me to kill myself before reading this

#7 Edited by ApatheticAvenger (1634 posts) - - Show Bio

Not Deathstroke!

#8 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

He's only plotting. Im sure the writer will have more control over what he is doing though. Liefeld is just there to help come up with ideas. Which is fine because he had some pretty good ideas on Hawk and Dove.

BTW if you want to be cool, hate Liefeld. People only hate him because its "cool" to hate him. If one person hates him everyone does. You guys are LAME.

#9 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (4671 posts) - - Show Bio

He's drawing and writing DeathStroke and plotting the other two.

#10 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferi22

I think Higgins will still be writing deathstroke

He's not.
#11 Edited by ApatheticAvenger (1634 posts) - - Show Bio

@doordoor123 said:

He's only plotting. Im sure the writer will have more control over what he is doing though. Liefeld is just there to help come up with ideas. Which is fine because he had some pretty good ideas on Hawk and Dove.

BTW if you want to be cool, hate Liefeld. People only hate him because its "cool" to hate him. If one person hates him everyone does. You guys are LAME.

Right, my genuine dislike for Liefeld has nothing to do with his horrendous artwork, but rather stems entirely from me wanting to be "cool". Gotcha.

#12 Posted by lemontron (62 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a fan of Liefeld, but I think he'll be a good fit for Deathstroke and he's only plotting the other two.

#13 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Why? Just Why?

#14 Posted by UpUpAndAway (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Dat outfit.

#15 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@UpUpAndAway said:

Dat outfit.

Right outta my mouth.

#16 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1065 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least we know the next books to be canceled.

#17 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio

Vote with your wallets, people. You don't like it, refuse to buy it. Maybe DC will get the picture.

#18 Edited by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

his is extremely weird. His title was one of the lowest selling titles of the 52...so they put him on 3 more titles? Atleast put him on some of the existing Batman stuff, then they'll cut them and we have more space for something that doesn't have Batman as a main character (maybe)

edit: I think he could be interesting with a character like Deathstroke though...don't lynch me for saying that...

#19 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@inferi22

He's not.

Thankfully. Higgin's work on Deathstroke was not even close to what he did with Nightrunner, Nightwing, and Gates of Gotham.

#20 Posted by BradBrains (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Nooo. Linkara is gonna be pissed

#21 Posted by redhood21 (759 posts) - - Show Bio

let the pouching begin!

#22 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just confused as to 1. Why DC is using him at all 2. Why are they putting him on MULTIPLE books? 3. Why would they think we'd be excited about this?

He's infamously hated (for good reason, his art is legit shit) and they want to put him on THREE titles? There are countless talented people out there in the world who would KILL for this job. Why not use them?

#23 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

Vote with your wallets, people. You don't like it, refuse to buy it. Maybe DC will get the picture.

Mob mentality doesn't work folks. DC won't know why you aren't buying the comics. All you are doing is condemning comics before they are written. Pitiful.

#24 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

THE 90S ARE BACK!!!!!

#25 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27392 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferi22 said:

This has got a to be an april's fools post just a few months off

It is Friday the 13th
#26 Posted by DarthShap (874 posts) - - Show Bio

****! I am reading Deathstroke. Sure it sucked but I was hoping it would get better with time. Now, let us just say it seems unlikely.

I really wish DC would hire Wolfman back.

#27 Posted by Dernman (14016 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks like some random generic Leifeld character now.

#28 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap: Wolfman is writing a Night Force miniseries out in March for DC and he is writting the biweekly DCU Online comic.

#29 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio
@jsphsmth

@The Dark Huntress said:

@inferi22

He's not.

Thankfully. Higgin's work on Deathstroke was not even close to what he did with Nightrunner, Nightwing, and Gates of Gotham.

While I may not agree with you some/most of the time, I absolutely agree with this.

However, I also feel that part of that was editorial mandate.
#30 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm Pretty sure hes the reason Hawk and Dove will be ending in April, so why Madrox him over three other books....whatever just stay away from my 'Resurrection Man'!

#31 Posted by Mahzian (109 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, three titles I will be cancelling!

#32 Posted by Dernman (14016 posts) - - Show Bio
I might not be the biggest fan of the currant costume but I was digging the helmet.
#33 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress: I am thankful because I hope this means that Higgins will be doing something else Bat-related in the future.

#34 Edited by The Impersonator (4311 posts) - - Show Bio

Scope Creep is not a good thing.

#35 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio
@jsphsmth Crossing my fingers for a Cassandra Cain and/or Stephanie Brown book.
#36 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Good for him! Yes, I said it...

#37 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus I knew you'd find your way here.
#38 Posted by DarthShap (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

@DarthShap: Wolfman is writing a Night Force miniseries out in March for DC and he is writting the biweekly DCU Online comic.

I had completely forgotten about DCU Online. That being said, I do not think I am missing much.

Anyway, what I meant was that he knew how to write the character better than anyone else (and not just because he invented him). Not an unimpressive and ridiculous 90's badass but a man of honor with a real backstory, friends and family.

#39 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@RedheadedAtrocitus I knew you'd find your way here.

Knew..or hoped? :)

#40 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joe Venom: The issue with Hawk and Dove was not the art. Sterling Gates couldn't get out of his way. He did a horrible job on the writing.

#41 Posted by Outside_85 (7113 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you Bob Harras for reviving the 90'ties...now please put it back in its grave.

#42 Posted by Knight Train (113 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm cool with this... mostly because I have stopped reading most of these, but Grifter's art was the best thing about it, that's a shame.

#43 Posted by Icarusflies (12246 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow, DC just WANTS those books to be cancelled, doesn't it?

Anyway, I don't read the other two, but I'm dropping Deathstroke now.

#44 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

#45 Posted by Dernman (14016 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey look it's Deathstoke

#46 Posted by Epsilon5 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap: Yes!!!

#47 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

Stop posting sh*t. I demand quality posts.

#48 Posted by jloneblackheart (5467 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought all the haters just disliked his art, not his writing.

#49 Posted by inferi22 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

The craziest thing is that his last book was one of the cancelled ones for good reason

#50 Posted by pspin (889 posts) - - Show Bio

I know nothing about this guy but he seems like the Greg Land of DC

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.