Liefeld is going to rock in May

#1 Edited by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Very excited to read Rob Liefeld's ideas for Deathstroke, Savage Hawkman, and Grifter in the interview with Newsarama.

I am a little distress that Philip Tan will no longer be working on Savage Hawkman. His watercolor work was the highpoint of the series.

It looks like Rob will be moving away from the organic armor concept that Daniels started.

Oh look, no pouches. I guess that an artists style can evolve. Take that sheep.

"Slade is a great thinker, a master tactician and deadly combatant. He's way more than just a gun and a sword." Thank you Rob. This is a much needed change from Higgins' work. Deathstroke has an enhanced body AND brain. "I go in through the front door because it is what I have always done" is not Slade.

I love his idea to have Grifter as the leader of the resistance comprised of "some familiar faces from both DCU and Wildstorm" against the Daemonites. (He has hinted at Deathblow in a previous article.) This is a much needed upgrade from Edmondson's "run and gun" stories.

He should be able to rescue these three comics from cancelation. I am in Grifter for the long haul, but I was ready to bail on Deathstroke, now I am in again. I am now considering adding Hawkman as well.

Oh well. Now I guess the Rob Liefeld Hate Train will pull into station and the sheep will start with their rhetoric.

#2 Posted by The_Tree (7209 posts) - - Show Bio

I was never really interested in Deathstroke or Savage Hawkman, so I still won't be picking those up. But I've actually been enjoying the Grifter series and I'm also in the long haul. I am wholly excited to see where he takes the character.

#3 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Link to earlier interview with Rob from IGN

#4 Posted by Dark Noldor (547 posts) - - Show Bio

Look, so many people that thinks Rob will rock!!! Behhh Behhhh

I can't think for myself!!

#5 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

It's interesting that he'll be taking Deathstroke down a more cosmic route...and Hawkman has cosmic undertones already...

Has the working of his powers been rebooted yet? Using 90% brain capacity was fine back then when nearly everyone didn't know any better, but these days, it's pretty funny...

#6 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan: Deathstroke isn't going cosmic. Lobo was imprisoned on Earth before he escaped. I didn't read anything that would suggest he escaped into space. If he did, then why would the government agency that hired Deathstroke want to bring him back? Seems that he would only be trouble if he was still on Earth.

Higgins is doing an origin story of sorts for Deathstroke in April. I don't know if that means that his powers will be outlined then or if he will wait and let Rob do it.

#7 Posted by entropy_aegis (14234 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup,he's gonna rock those books all the way to cancellation.

#8 Posted by daredevil21134 (10848 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

LOL

#9 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

QFT, at least for Deathstroke

#10 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

What is a mob of sheep called?

#11 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, i don't know much about Liefeld, but him coming onto Grifter has saved it from the chopping block for now. After #5 i was ready to drop it since, Grifter was basically going round in circles and it barely felt like the plot was progressing.

Now? I'll give Liefeld three issues if after then i'm still not enjoying it. I'll let it go.

#12 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11098 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the redesigns......shameful. If Deathstroke and/or Hawkman get cancelled, I'm going after Liefeld. I've actually been enjoying these titles.

#13 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArturoCalaKayVee:

The image of Hawkman isn't a redesign, Liefeld is not becoming Hawkman's primary artist. And why would you go after Liefeld if the two were cancelled? If they are cancelled it would be because their lowing selling titles that were unable to find an audience in the 8 issues they had before Liefeld joins.

#14 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

New interview with Liefeld at CBR. Each one is getting me more and more excited to read Grifter, Deathstroke and Savage Hawkman in May.

Oh look, Deathstroke is not hopping on the space shuttle to fight Lobo.

"Each book is grounded, on Earth. Each book touches on extra-terrestrial dangers and villains, but the stories all unfold on Earth."

#15 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Full lineups announced by DC:

Deathstroke- Rob writer/artist.

Hawkman: Co-writers Rob and Mark Poulton. Illustrated by Joe Bennett.

Grifter: Co-writers Rob and Frank Tieri. Scott Clark will remain the ongoing series artist.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32717 posts) - - Show Bio
@jsphsmth said:

What is a mob of sheep called?

Flock 
#17 Edited by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!!! Finally lets see some Grifter in Grifter. He is a seasoned covert operative and conman. He shouldn't be on the defensive this much.

GRIFTER #9

Written by ROB LIEFELD and FRANK TIERI

Art by SCOTT CLARK

Cover by ROB LIEFELD

On sale MAY 9 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

• Welcoming the new creative team of ROB LIEFELD, FRANK TIERI and SCOTT CLARK

• Grifter’s troubles worsen as he races to stop the impending DAEMONITE invasion.

• Featuring the first appearances of DEATHBLOW and CHESHIRE in The New 52!

#18 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

DEATHSTROKE #9

Written by ROB LIEFELD

Art and cover by ROB LIEFELD

On sale MAY 9 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

• “LOBO HUNT” part one!

• For anybody else, hunting Lobo would be suicide. For DEATHSTROKE, it’s just business.

THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #9

Written by ROB LIEFELD and MARK POULTON

Art by JOE BENNETT and ART THIBERT

Cover by ROB LIEFELD

On sale MAY 23 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

• Welcome the new creative team of ROB LIEFELD, MARK POULTON, JOE BENNETT and ART THIBERT!

• Introducing the evil XERXES!

• It’s HAWKMAN the savage warrior – as you’ve never seen him before!

#19 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio

Still not crazy about the switch since I'm pulling Hawkman and Deathstroke but I'm going to give it a shot.

#20 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth: Where did Grifter's leg go?

#21 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: Daemonite ate it?

#22 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth: You sure it wasn't just, I dunno... Liefeld forgetting to draw it?

#23 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: Now that you mention it...

#24 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth: Yeaaaah.

#25 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Deathstroke is good but he will make it the worst book on the shelves,Grifter already got bad and about the Savage Hawkman-it ain't that bad but it will.

#26 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Grifter is definitely about to improve.

link

#27 Posted by Rogan2112 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth: Sorry, I'm not a sheep, I just for MANY reasons simply can't stand the art of Rob Liefeld. However, that's not especially important. YOU like Rob Liefeld's work, and so it seems do a lot of other people. I'm glad YOU (and his other fans)are happy that he's coming on to these books and I hope you enjoy them.

#28 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rogan2112: Liefeld is only illustrating one of the comics, Deathstroke.

I am completely indiferent on his work, but his ideas for the three series that he is taking over interest me greaty. DC seems to be using Liefeld as the driving force to further integrate Wildstorm into the DcnU.

#29 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rogan2112:

Liefeld is only drawing Deathstroke.

While for Hawkman and Grifter he's only plotting the issue's while Tieri and Poulton will be handling most of the actual writing duties. Is it just Liefeld's art you dislike, or do you have issue's with his previous writing attempts as well?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.