Follow

Riddler

Character » Riddler appears in 1572 issues.

Edward Nigma is a villain obsessed with riddles, puzzles, and brain teasers, who took the alias of the Riddler to commit crimes. Riddler frequently tries to outsmart Gotham's hero Batman, but is always defeated by the Dark Knight.

Riddler in batman movies again

Avatar image for captain_majestic
    Captain Majestic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Captain Majestic

Ok so i hear talk ( i guess technically i read it but you get the idea) of Johnny depp possible playing the riddler in a new batman movie.  This sounds good to a lot of people but i just feel like they are doing what they did in many other movies and finding a big name to fill a role in a movie.  Now i think Johnny depp is a very talented actor but i have to say that he is not the best choice to play the Riddler.  I think Jude Law would be perfect. Any thoughts?

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ARMIV

Got a picture of Jude Law?

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By johnny_spam

It's just a rumor even he said it wasn't true.

Captain Majestic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Captain Majestic

even if it is a rumor, i thought i saw an interview or quote of him saying he would be interested, maybe im wrong.  Either way im saying i think the character is great but i think jude law would be better than Depp. 

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SUNMAN

nothing is confirmed on the movie whatsoever. People have been speculating on the next film ever since they finished watching Dark Knight.

I doubt they will even do the riddler in the next film
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By G'bandit

I think he would be great as Riddler :D

Willy Wonka (Scary but awesome performance)
    Jack Sparrow (Enough said)
    Eduard Scissorhands (Freaky but also a good performance)
    Donny Brasco  (Great movie)
    Ichabod Crane (Sleepy Hallow he did good as the dr)
    Sheldon Sands (I also loved this one)

These are the most known and All these performance have one thing in common, they all won him the best actor award between other awards. 

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By G'bandit
    @Captain Majestic said:
    "

even if it is a rumor, i thought i saw an interview or quote of him saying he would be interested, maybe im wrong.

"
    Johnny said Riddler looks like a fun character to play :D

Captain Majestic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Captain Majestic

As much as i agree the J depp is a good actor, that is not justification alone, by that means we could say cast Tom Hanks to play bane, because T Hanks is an amazing actor

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEGRAAF

Yea but we have seen depp play characters that he could use a little bit from to create the riddler. he gets in to his roles like heath leadger did. If you look at his roles he's done, you can tell he can easily take on the role of the riddler and make it gold.

Jude law i like and he fits the look specially with the derby hat but i just dont think that is his type of role.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9  Edited By No_Name_

Wow. Johnny Depp would look great as Edward Nigma

Captain Majestic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Captain Majestic

jude law is the guy in the hat ARMIV

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ARMIV
    @Captain Majestic said:
    "

jude law is the guy in the hat ARMIV

"
    Yeah,yeah...he has a good enough face for it...but of the top of my head,I can't remember what movies he's been in,so him being Riddler...can't picture it now.
    stork101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By stork101

i think daniel day lewis would be a good choice for the riddler hes a well known actor but he has no stereotypical roles the intensity he bring to the screen is amazing i think with how dark and gritty the new batman series has become.

Captain Majestic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Captain Majestic

sky captain and the world of tomorrow, the holiday, alfie, Road to perdition (pic above), GATTICA, enemy at the gates and many others i cant think of

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By NightFang3

I think Johnny Depp would be the best Riddler.

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By G'bandit

BY THE WAY IF THEY MAKE A RIDDLER

NO RED HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beastfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By beastfan

Well what about the little guy that figured out Bruce Wayne was batman in the Dark Knight? his name was Mr. Reese. If you say it fast, it sounds like mysteries.

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ARMIV
    @G'bandit said:
    " BY THE WAY IF THEY MAKE A RIDDLER

NO RED HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"
    If they were going for this look in a new movie,they'd have to get Danny Elfman to play him.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @beastfan said:
    "

Well what about the little guy that figured out Bruce Wayne was batman in the Dark Knight? his name was Mr. Reese. If you say it fast, it sounds like mysteries.

"

lol interesting notion but i cant see him as the riddler
    beastfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By beastfan
    @DEGRAAF:
    Yeah, me either. It would have been a cool tie in though.
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By G'bandit
    @beastfan said:
    "

"
    You are not the first one to say this.. But I really doubt that after Bruce saved him he will become a bad guy... Even knowing Bruce is Bats..

"Aha! I'm going to kill you Batman for saving my life in TDK"

Besides Riddler's name is Eduard Nigma

beastfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By beastfan
    @G'bandit said:
    "@beastfan said:
    "

"
    You are not the first one to say this.. But I really doubt that after Bruce saved him he will become a bad guy... Even knowing Bruce is Bats..

"Aha! I'm going to kill you Batman for saving my life in TDK"Besides Riddler's name is Eduard Nigma "

lol, yeah that is true. It would be kind of dumb for him to be mad at bruce, but didn't the riddler go crazy because he knew Batman's true identity?
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By G'bandit
    @beastfan said:
    " @G'bandit said:
    "@beastfan said:
    "

"

"Aha! I'm going to kill you Batman for saving my life in TDK"Besides Riddler's name is Eduard Nigma "

lol, yeah that is true. It would be kind of dumb for him to be mad at bruce, but didn't the riddler go crazy because he knew Batman's true identity? "
    That I know of  he was just crazy with puzzles and stuff like that and he even realized it

The Riddler, one of Batman's insane foes that haunt Gotham City, is unique in his pursuit of individuality. Riddler's focus lays not with fear, nor duality, nor plants, nor immortality. Riddler is obsessed with mind games, and with the propensity of the human brain. Riddles, word games, clues, puzzles. It's not merely an obsession, it's a compulsion. He commits elaborate, brilliant crimes-and leaves a complex riddle. Riddler has fought his compulsions set in from childhood (the result of an abusive father and absent mother), but his failed attempts to abandon his need to tell the truth culminated in a most vulnerable, deep realization: "You don't understand... I really didn't want to leave you any clues. I really planned never to go back to Arkham Asylum. But I left you a clue anyway. So I... I have to go back there. Because I might need help. I... I might actually be crazy."
    TheRealist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheRealist

Okay nerds, this is plain and simple
    Nolan has yet to decide if he is going to do a third Batman film, and Johnny Depp has not been cast as the Riddler nor would he make a good Riddler. Though Depp is talented actor he is just not right for the role. All you cyber nerds out there need to realize that there are more than just three actores in the world (Bale, Depp, and Shia Lebough) and try and pick someone that would actually fit the role. For example, look at Heath Ledger, no one would have guessed that he was going to be the Joker, yet he did an amazing job, why is that? Because whoever is in charge of Casting for the series is actually good at it, unlike the rest of you. The only fan picked Riddler that I support is Guy Pearce all the rest (David Tennent, Eddie Murphy, and whoever the hell plays Ben from lost) are just pathetic, they would just kill the Riddler.

P.S anyone who says they are not a retard here is a liar because I have proof that you are retarded
    Proof: You believed a rumor that was created by the National Enquire

Captain Majestic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Captain Majestic

ok quick comment, the issue was really not about the legitamacy of the rumor, which i just hoped was a rumor, but about jude law and whether he would make a good riddler if they had the riddler in another batman movie,, calm down, p.s. agree about the 3 actor thing

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By SUNMAN

I would hope they find another actor

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Zoom
    @G'bandit said:
    Besides Riddler's name is Eduard Nigma "

Its Edward Nashton.

Edward Nigma or E. Nigma is a joke alias.
    Dr. ? man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dr. ? man

I think Johnny Depp is a good choice.

TheBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheBat

Johnny Depp would be great - if it actually happened. But my pick is Alan Tudyk. He's the actor who played Wash in the Firefly series and Serenity movie. He plays a good psycho - check out his performance as Alpha in the new series Dollhouse.

LittleRiddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LittleRiddle

Ok, the way I see it is: Yes, Depp would have something to bring to the Riddler to  bring him out....however what he has; 1 his fame and the wacky personality of his roles gets him almost in the right mindset already, Also messes his part up. His fame would make it so as he acted you would not be seeing the riddler you would be seeing depp, possibly as jack or sweeny, and all the wacky roles he's played messes him up because all of his wackiness makes him usually seem almost drunk, and the last flaw that I see and to me the most important.: If you watch he stands straight up or swaggers depending on the part and his hand motions when he talks are always close to his body showing sluggishness....always. If you examine the riddler  especially Gorshin he is hunched over like he's always ready to pounce, his huge hand motions and body language expressing vast ammounts of energy, exceedingly hyper, complete contrast to sluggish. The best choice would be someone fairly unknown but with enough experience that he's good and he needs to have examined the riddler's character enough that he can get inside his head enough to know what his next move would be.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

The idea is lame no matter who plays the Riddler.How about putting Batman against someone that is a match for him in combat.I know he has the whole detective thing going on but there isn't enough action.I want to see Bale really have to f#ck someone up.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#31  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

As long as the third film lives up tp the first two films, I don't really care who the villian is or who plays them (

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DEGRAAF

i think johnny depp could play the riddler almost as well as heath played the joker

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#33  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Vance Astro said:
    "The idea is lame no matter who plays the Riddler.How about putting Batman against someone that is a match for him in combat.I know he has the whole detective thing going on but there isn't enough action.I want to see Bale really have to f#ck someone up. "

That's why you have Catwoman in it with the Riddler, her fighing Batman would be cool
    kingdlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kingdlo

im thinking someone like Jeremy renner, someone talented but not necessarily a big name

Shadow_Vixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shadow_Vixen

To me it depends on which version of riddler  they plan to use...in my opinion the Riddler in the novel Hush would be one tat johnny Depp could pull off in my opinion

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bio Guyver

I think it could work. Bale and Depp have already worked together, so I think they can connect. But I also think it would be great that they could throw another villain in the mix. Like Vance said,  a character that can equally match Batman in physical combat. So we can have a bit of witts and brawls mixed in one movie. I'd like to see Bane fight the Bats, or even Catwoman.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TazzMission

edward norton as riddler would be golden imo

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.