Follow

Riddler

Character » Riddler appears in 1574 issues.

Edward Nigma is a villain obsessed with riddles, puzzles, and brain teasers, who took the alias of the Riddler to commit crimes. Riddler frequently tries to outsmart Gotham's hero Batman, but is always defeated by the Dark Knight.

Good movie villain???

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PaperDemon

I think in the new Batman movies (if there will be ones) The Riddler should be the main villain and Zsasz should be a side villain. I would like them to be portrayed just like they were in Arkham asylum and Arkham city. The costumes in the games for them were great too. But now to the question: Do you think it would be a successful team- up and movie??? I think it would be great. They are both my favorite villains.

Avatar image for ultimate_riddler
    Ultimate_Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ultimate_Riddler

@PaperDemon said:

I think in the new Batman movies (if there will be ones) The Riddler should be the main villain and Zsasz should be a side villain. I would like them to be portrayed just like they were in Arkham asylum and Arkham city. The costumes in the games for them were great too. But now to the question: Do you think it would be a successful team- up and movie??? I think it would be great. They are both my favorite villains.

Zsasz was actually in Batman Begins. It was such a small and ultimately meaningless role, but he was there nonetheless. More like a nifty little cameo just to set up Dr. Crane's introduction to the audience. I don't even recall him having lines! As for Riddler, I would have loved for Riddler to have been in a Nolan film, if for no other reason than to prove he could be written as a viable threat. People that claimed he would be a bad villain based solely on Jim Carrey's performance seem to forget that Two-Face was also in Batman Forever, yet Aaron Eckhart was well received for his portrayal. People also dissed Heath Ledger before the second film came out, but after they saw his acting chops in The Dark Knight everyone lost their minds and bathed his name across the internet for how "godly" he was. I won't even get into the flawed logic of Riddler supposedly being "too similar" to The Joker. They're nothing alike. So, overall, not a bad team-up and I certainly would have enjoyed a Nolan-verse E. Nigma. Alas, it isn't meant to be. Maybe in the next Batman series.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By colonyofcells

Riddler can be done like Prof Moriarty.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JonSmith

If you don't mind, I'll just leave this here.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By SoA

i'd like to see riddler done like a jigsaw type character ,

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By roboadmiral

Riddler I like. I think for the brutal, mauler, support villain there's better options than Zsasz. I've always been partial to Killer Croc myself. Granted that comes with the issues that are always inherent with CGI, but I think The Avengers pretty well proved that CG can be done masterfully if the right person is in charge. Or they can just get a huge guy and someone who's really good at monster make-up.

Nightwing28710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nightwing28710

I always though Riddler would make a better suited villain for the Question.

Avatar image for ultimate_riddler
    Ultimate_Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ultimate_Riddler

@JonSmith said:

If you don't mind, I'll just leave this here.

Not bad. I liked it. Some classic moments that had that Nolan vibe.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By akbogert

@JonSmith: This was fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PaperDemon

@JonSmith: Thanks dude, that was awesome.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PaperDemon

@SoA said:

i'd like to see riddler done like a jigsaw type character ,

That could work if riddler trapped him in a series of rooms with riddles. Then comes Zsasz where i think could be part of a deadly challenge: who signed up to help the riddler so he could kill Batman. :D

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

I love the Riddler, and he needs a live action appearance that he deserves. For film, however, he needs to be more brutal, and physical, but still, he needs to remain intelligent, like the Dark Knight's Joker. Also, he should not team up with anyone, but Scarecrow could work well in a movie with him.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By judasnixon

I still think David Tennant would have been perfect for the part of the Riddler. He has that smartest guy in the room look, and he was freaking Doctor Who.....

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By joshmightbe

He's one of those guys that can either be great or awful with very little middle ground. When he's done right its usually a classic story when he's done wrong its Jim Carrey

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StrangeMan

He would translate to the big screen really well, if done right, he could bring out Batman's detective side, something that every movie itteration of him to date haven't done successfully, those who think that Riddler is "lame" or whatever are probably non-readers, and like most of those unfamiliar to comics they probably have a Silver Age idea of who The Riddler is.

Anyway, yes, he would be awesome, they could even have him pulling the strings behind the scenes controlling other villains.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By stumpy49er

He's one of my favorite characters. I do want him in a Batman movie but it really depends on who is directing the movie. Hopefully Nolan is followed by an equally great director.

How I'd want him portrayed? More as an intelligent threat, the mastermind. Either close to Arkham City, Batman The Animated series or he was portrayed in Death of the Family. I do not want him to be a physical threat at all. That's what hired thugs are for: Deadshot, Clayface or Firefly could work. As much as I love Killer Crock I'm not sure he would pair well with Riddler, nor would Zsasz for that matter. Killer Crock would go for a power grab and Zsasz is just too psycho for Riddler. I'd love to see the Clock King in a movie, espescially how he was portrayed in Batman the animated Series.

As for the actor I'd want to play as Riddler? I think the perfect choice would be Edward Norton. He's definately got the intelligence, the fast talk and the looks of Riddler. He has the scrawny stature, yet he's also got an intensity that would be perfect for Eddie Nash. He's no longer playing the Hulk and it wouldn't be the first time an actor jumped from Marvel to DC.

Another great actor who could pull off the Riddler: Sam Rockwell

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.