Follow

Riddler

Character » Riddler appears in 1573 issues.

Edward Nigma is a villain obsessed with riddles, puzzles, and brain teasers, who took the alias of the Riddler to commit crimes. Riddler frequently tries to outsmart Gotham's hero Batman, but is always defeated by the Dark Knight.

Detective nigma vs. Riddler which is better?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#1  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

[This is not a battle!]

I just wanted to ask which people liked more: the detective whom works on the side of the "law" (somewhat) and the Riddler with his chaotic conundrums. Which do you like more?

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I like the detective thing because he is fighting himself to not revert to his old ways (which we all know he will). He also still thinks like a villain, which I find interesting.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By johnny_spam

I think the villain turned hero is a overdone arc and should not be used especially if it is a long time character like the Riddler. Making him a good guy is not a smart idea and just a overplayed trope Paul Dini does to much and it hurts the Bat Villains in the end by not making them a threat.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Caligula
    @jloneblackheart said:
    " I like the detective thing because he is fighting himself to not revert to his old ways (which we all know he will). He also still thinks like a villain, which I find interesting. "
    I agree
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By brc2000

It was cool for a while, but I'd like to see him return to all out villainy.

Tara_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Tara_Q

It's an interesting situation, but personally I prefer the neurotic, challenge-obsessed Riddler to detective Edward Nigma, if for no other reason than he's simply more interesting when he's crazy.

Technoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Technoman

Detective. He's not straight out villain or hero, but both sides are seen.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Hit_Monkey

@The Poet
     I really miss Detective Nigma, he should have got an ongoing as I found him an interesting read. I don't see any reason he couldn't of remained a good(ish) guy? In all honesty I found Riddler to be a bit old hat and the detective angle was a breath of fresh air. I never really 'got' him as a villian but totally dug him doing the whole private eye thing. 

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I much prefer the private detective angle on him, always liked the character but I could just see him really taking off in that direction. Really wished they would have kept it for a longer, Reminds me I need to find the trades with him while being a detective in, I have Gotham City Sirens anyone know of the others if they are out?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.