AMC Casts Lead For Walking Dead

Posted by inferiorego (21113 posts) - - Show Bio
The Hollywood Reporter had some interesting details today on the upcoming AMC show Walking Dead, based on the Robert Kirkman book of the same name. The lead, Rick Grimes, has been cast and he will be played by Andrew Lincoln. Love Actually is about the only film on his list that is incredibly recognizable. If you're a little "iffy" on this guy, read what Robert Kirkman, the comic's creator and writer had to say about Andrew.

“Andrew Lincoln, wow--what an amazing find this guy is...Writing Rick Grimes month after month in the comic series, I had no idea he was an actual living breathing human being and yet here he is. I couldn't be more thrilled with how this show is coming together." 

Andrew will be joining Jon Bernthal who plays Shane, Rick's police partner, and for those who haven't read this amazing book yet, Walking Dead is about a zombie apocalypse where Rick Grimes (a police officer) leads a group of people, and they just try and survive. This book does not pull punches and no one is safe from death or dismemberment. Occasionally, important supporting characters will be killed off, and the rest of the group is left to fend without them. It's one of those books that is a must read, especially for zombie fans.

Andrew Lincoln seems to be a good choice for the role. The character of Rick needs to be moderately tough, but he also has to be an understanding leader (well, not always understanding). Andrew seems to have done many dramatic roles, and that's the type of actor you need. The show don't need some buff, one-liner spitting, tough guy. It needs someone who can actually act and fill the shoes of a very dramatic character, Rick Grimes. 

Frank Darabont (Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption) will be directing, executive producing, and writing the show, which films in Atlanta in June of this year.

Do you think Andrew Lincoln is a good choice for this role? If not, who would you cast?
Staff
#1 Posted by Fleonix (169 posts) - - Show Bio

He seems to fit the role, I, Fleonix approve! 

Not that my approval matters at all.......jajajajajjajaja

#2 Posted by inferiorego (21113 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fleonix: I just got off the phone with AMC... They were waiting for your approval. Thank goodness!
lol
Staff
#3 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he will, work although Love Actually is the only film i have seen him in.
#4 Posted by Fleonix (169 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego:  It seems everything here went well then. Now, off to approve the other actors in the Walking Dead. =D
#5 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it said "He will be played by Abraham Lincoln"

#6 Posted by PixelPerfect (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew Lincoln is an amazing actor! He was in this British TV series called Teachers and he was phenomenal. I can't wait!

#7 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

This news could be worse.  (:  
But overall, I'm happy.

#8 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio

If you've never seen "This Life" track it down, he was great in that. 

Tho the 10 years later follow up wasn't too great imo.

#9 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess if Kirkman approves of him then he should be right for the part.
#10 Posted by MemnochZERO (146 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Lincoln could out to be one of those "suprise" actors that fits the role perfectly, and in an ideal situation blows up in popularity because of it. Frank Darabont knows what he's doing, and Kirkman's approval is enough to me. I hope this all works out for the best (though I'm still kinda bummed Pellegrino didn't get it). It looks like they'll be going low key with this cast trying to land people who've done great work but haven't had an insane ammount of exposure. It really makes me wonder who they'll get for Lori and the rest. That's cool with me, but please Darabont, get DANNY TREJO for THE GOVERNOR!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.