Meet New 52 Richard Dragon

#1 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11271 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone is trying to take down the current mob structure in Seattle. Today, I can tell you that that someone is Richard Dragon, who’ll declare himself as the city’s kingpin after he gets rid of the city’s top mob bosses.

While Oliver is off dealing with Komodo, The Outsiders, and plenty of island drama, Richard Dragon is taking advantage of having an Archer-less Seattle by quickly asserting himself as the city’s most evil mastermind. Imagine the surprise, then, that Oliver will face when his story returns him to Seattle in 2014 to find a full-out gang war going on!

While Richard Dragon doesn't have any superpowers, he’s an expert at all forms of combat. The New 52 interpretation of Dragon makes his début in GREEN ARROW #23, and he’s not at all like the Richard Dragon you think you know.

#2 Posted by Charlemagne (6964 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! HELLZ YA! About time.

#3 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11271 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! HELLZ YA! About time.

Know how you feel. I've been a Dragon fan for years.

#4 Posted by Charlemagne (6964 posts) - - Show Bio

@supreme_marvel: A lil disappointed they're connecting him to Green Arrow as opposed to his own series, but its all good. I really, really, really, hope they keep the Sandra/Carolyn Woosan connection. Though it doesnt sound like they will. Kinda feelin the new look too. Got the whole Tyson head tat and Man with the Iron Fist vibe going on.

#5 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11271 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_arashikage: Would also love that connection. I haven't read Shiva in Nightwing. But I'm hoping there still is a possibility. I love Iron Fist, if this entrance leads to his own story. Would love it written by Brubaker. :D

A man can dream!

#6 Posted by Charlemagne (6964 posts) - - Show Bio

@supreme_marvel: Shiva's pretty cool in Nightwing (and Red Hood). She's still connected to the League of Assassins and Bronze Tiger, so we could get some old school Richard Dragon characters interacting again.

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35180 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#8 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11271 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_arashikage: O-Sensei appeared or been remarked in any of their appearances? Would love an epic battle between Dragon and Shiva. I've vote Dragon. :D My opinion is he is the only one I see as beating her more often than losing. While Cass is about half, slightly more in favour of Shiva.

#9 Posted by Charlemagne (6964 posts) - - Show Bio

@supreme_marvel: Not that I've read but with RD's introduction the possibility has been elevated. And Dragon's one of the few characters I can stomach beating Lady Shiva. Though I think she'd take 6 outta 10 match-ups.

#10 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11271 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35180 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Charlemagne (6964 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11271 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Sorrentino's art. I was gutted when I, Vampire finished. He's probably my favourite current artists so if anyone draws Dragon back, am glad it's him. Never much been a Green Arrow fan. Only read Year One. I'm liking the direction. Liking the cast. Perfect combination for me. I tweeted Lemire on the 5th of July saying if one of these 'Dragons' was Richard Dragon, I'd love him forever. So, I guess I love him forever. :D

#14 Posted by KingKai10 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@supreme_marvel: Bronze Tiger could beat shiva too. He's just as good as Richard.

#15 Posted by The Stegman (26116 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it...I like it a lot

#16 Posted by The_Tree (7991 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss his red hair.

#17 Posted by longbowhunter (7753 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always liked Richard Dragon. Always loved it anytime him or Shiva would show up in the Question. Anyone else think he looks a bit like Common?

#18 Edited by The_Tree (7991 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always liked Richard Dragon. Always loved it anytime him or Shiva would show up in the Question. Anyone else think he looks a bit like Common?

Yes, I can definitely see it.

I hope he doesn't end up just being some evil gang leader, I hope he's pulling a Green Hornet.

#19 Edited by longbowhunter (7753 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree: Lemire's run on Green Arrow has been full of surprises this far, I trust he won't go somewhere so cliche. I hope.

#20 Edited by The_Tree (7991 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: Yeah. Lemire has done some things in Green Arrow I don't like (Ollie's sister, the island not being random), but I still heavily enjoy the series. I can only be hopeful.

#21 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering Bronze Tiger, I'm surprised he didn't end up an actual dragon xD

#22 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Considering Bronze Tiger, I'm surprised he didn't end up an actual dragon xD

XD

#23 Posted by longbowhunter (7753 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree: I felt the same way at first. But this hasn't felt like "our Ollie" from the beginning. If DC is going to throw everything out the window, I'd just as soon they try to do something so radically different. I really hate that we don't have an Ollie in his mid 40's who's marriage is on the rocks, has an HIV positive sidekick and an illegitimate mixed race son who was once his successor. On the other hand I'm enjoying Green Arrow more now than I have since Winick left. Kreisberg and Krul's pre New 52 runs were really not very good. So really I'm just thankful that even if this isn't the Oliver I know, Green Arrow justifiably has a spot on my pull again.

#24 Posted by The_Tree (7991 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: Yeah, this run's been pretty great overall.

I've been using headcanon for a lot of the New 52. I just take this as Ollie's early days, and that he'll eventually grow into the Green Arrow we know and love.

#25 Edited by slade_wilson (642 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet! This is very, very cool.

#26 Posted by longbowhunter (7753 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree: That's how I'm looking at it too. I've been building my own GA continuity that works for me.

#27 Posted by TDK_1997 (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

His new look looks way better than before and I hope that he is as interesting as before.

#28 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

why did someone remove the profile picture?

#29 Posted by Dernman (15814 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm disappointed that he seems to be a villain now.

#30 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

I said the same thing in the Green Arrow thread. :sigh: First Shiva is Nightwing rouge, then Bronze Tiger is weretiger frenemy of Red Hood and now Dragon is seemly a villain.

#31 Edited by Dernman (15814 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson: Ya those other things also bother me. Shiva shouldn't be tied down to any one hero let alone a second generation hero. Bronze Tiger was a good street level martial artist not a generic metahuman even if i did think he needed a redesigned costume.

#32 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11271 posts) - - Show Bio

My new favourite page of the week.

#33 Posted by Crazy_Wilhelm (64 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought his fight with Shado was super cool too.

#34 Posted by Thitiki (4326 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2273 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

#36 Posted by Onemoreposter (4101 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad they changed his race. I know I always looked at RD and thought, "man I really wish he was black."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.