Comic Vine Review

17 Comments

Wolverine #4 - Rogue Logan Part 4 of 4 Review

4

If you’ve been wondering just what exactly is going on with Wolverine and why he’s done some of the things he’s been doing, you’ll get some answers here.

The Good

Good things come to those who wait. From the first issue, we’ve seen Wolverine start a new path. Paul Cornell picked up from the previous volume with Wolverine losing his healing factor, thanks to Sabretooth. This has set off Wolverine on a dark and angry path now that he has to face his own mortality. Aligning himself with a new (and questionable) group, we saw Wolverine do some things that have outraged long time fans.

Of course waiting for the answers could help to explain some things.

Throughout these first four issues, Cornell has been going back and forth in Wolverine’s timeline, showing the present along with the moments that lead up to his new situation. We’ve seen him lash out at his friends and loved ones as he’s distanced himself more and more. With each scene, we find out more and more. There are some moments that are tough to see (like Wolverine’s encounter with Kitty Pryde). Seeing everything unfold does help us understand what is going on and why Wolverine was able to shoot a man in cold bold in the first issue. The story is definitely becoming more intriguing as we start to get all the pieces of the puzzle.

Ryan Stegman continues to do what he does best. He draws a tough Wolverine and you can really see and feel how far he’s fallen. Stegman’s crisp and clean detailed art smacks you in the face and you get a great sense of how Wolverine’s world is changing.

The Bad

The story is heating up but, just as with the end of the previous volume, I’m getting a little tired of having so much of the focus be on Sabretooth. Yes, he is Wolverine’s greatest enemy but it would be nice to have someone else come into the picture as well. Sabretooth may not have a physical presence but because of what he did to Wolverine, he remains at the forefront of Wolverine’s motives.

The Verdict

Paul Cornell is shaking things up with Wolverine. Many have questioned Wolverine’s action as well as become outraged but with each flashback scene, we find out more and more of why Wolverine has done the things he did in past issues. It’s fun to look back and see why everything has happened and how they fit together. Ryan Stegman’s art is a joy to see. He makes each scene with Wolverine nice and gritty, reflecting how he’s feeling. Despite how much I like Wolverine, there have been times recently where I’ve grown a little complacent with his escapades. Cornell and Stegman are making Wolverine fun and exciting.

17 Comments
Posted by Luismah

Ryan Stegman´s art is awesome, I just love it, but the story so far, poor james....

Edited by ClawFist

So I really liked this issue. It helped relieve a lot of the "What the heck is Logan doing?!" tension I had in the previous issues.

I have to agree with the gripes about Sabretooth. I've never really been a big Sabretooth fan, I've always preferred Cyber or Omega Red. Both of which are dead now.

Another gripe I'm having with this series so far though, is Ryan Stegman. Now don't get me wrong, I love me some Ryan Stegman art, especially in this issue. Now I don't know if it was a communication issue or what, but he's drawing the wrong Silver Samurai. I highly doubt that the new Silver Samurai would throw on his dad's old duds compared to his highly advanced technology, so I don't think its a story thing either. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

Posted by sparty-dbq

Wait, did I miss something?

When did Wolverine find out where Cyclops' school was?

Posted by Wolverine08

Whoever this guy is pretending to be Wolverine, may he just die already?

Posted by AllStarSuperman
Posted by Jonny_Anonymous
Online
Posted by AllStarSuperman
Posted by Jonny_Anonymous
Online
Posted by Wolverine08
Posted by Wolverine08

@allstarsuperman: Yea, I like it.

How? Thus far, all that Cornell has given us is an out of character Wolverine whom because he's lost his healing factor(Something that has happened to him twice), decides that it's okay to shoot innocent news reporters in the had, becomes a coward, becomes a criminal, and alienates all the people trying to help him like an as%hole. The whole "The Wolverine is dead" stuff feels like a poorly forced attempt at bringing weight to the comic as well. The only thing I can give Cornell credit for is making Sabretooth a threat again after so many years of Victor jobbing.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

@allstarsuperman: Yea, I like it.

How? Thus far, all that Cornell has given us is an out of character Wolverine whom because he's lost his healing factor(Something that has happened to him twice), decides that it's okay to shoot innocent news reporters in the had, becomes a coward, becomes a criminal, and alienates all the people trying to help him like an as%hole. The whole "The Wolverine is dead" stuff feels like a poorly forced attempt at bringing weight to the comic as well. The only thing I can give Cornell credit for is making Sabretooth a threat again after so many years of Victor jobbing.

I take it you haven't read this issue then?

Online
Edited by Wolverine08

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@allstarsuperman: Yea, I like it.

How? Thus far, all that Cornell has given us is an out of character Wolverine whom because he's lost his healing factor(Something that has happened to him twice), decides that it's okay to shoot innocent news reporters in the had, becomes a coward, becomes a criminal, and alienates all the people trying to help him like an as%hole. The whole "The Wolverine is dead" stuff feels like a poorly forced attempt at bringing weight to the comic as well. The only thing I can give Cornell credit for is making Sabretooth a threat again after so many years of Victor jobbing.

I take it you haven't read this issue then?

No, will go through it when I hit up the comic shop later this week. Something big happen? I don't really care about spoilers.

Edited by Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@allstarsuperman: Yea, I like it.

How? Thus far, all that Cornell has given us is an out of character Wolverine whom because he's lost his healing factor(Something that has happened to him twice), decides that it's okay to shoot innocent news reporters in the had, becomes a coward, becomes a criminal, and alienates all the people trying to help him like an as%hole. The whole "The Wolverine is dead" stuff feels like a poorly forced attempt at bringing weight to the comic as well. The only thing I can give Cornell credit for is making Sabretooth a threat again after so many years of Victor jobbing.

I take it you haven't read this issue then?

No, will go through it when I hit up the comic shop later this week. Something big happen? I don't really care about spoilers.

Well read this at your own peril but Wolverine is actually undercover for SHIELD and and his using his powerlessness to infiltrate the Offers crime syndicate in an attempt to take down Sabertooth, it also gives you reasons for why Logan has been acting the way he's been acting and what the deal with the reporter was.

Online
Posted by Wolverine08

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@allstarsuperman: Yea, I like it.

How? Thus far, all that Cornell has given us is an out of character Wolverine whom because he's lost his healing factor(Something that has happened to him twice), decides that it's okay to shoot innocent news reporters in the had, becomes a coward, becomes a criminal, and alienates all the people trying to help him like an as%hole. The whole "The Wolverine is dead" stuff feels like a poorly forced attempt at bringing weight to the comic as well. The only thing I can give Cornell credit for is making Sabretooth a threat again after so many years of Victor jobbing.

I take it you haven't read this issue then?

No, will go through it when I hit up the comic shop later this week. Something big happen? I don't really care about spoilers.

Well read this at your own peril but Wolverine is actually undercover for SHIELD and and his using his powerlessness to infiltrate the Offers crime syndicate in an attempt to take down Sabertooth, it also gives you reasons for why Logan has been acting the way he's been acting and what the deal with the reporter was.

Posted by Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@allstarsuperman: Yea, I like it.

How? Thus far, all that Cornell has given us is an out of character Wolverine whom because he's lost his healing factor(Something that has happened to him twice), decides that it's okay to shoot innocent news reporters in the had, becomes a coward, becomes a criminal, and alienates all the people trying to help him like an as%hole. The whole "The Wolverine is dead" stuff feels like a poorly forced attempt at bringing weight to the comic as well. The only thing I can give Cornell credit for is making Sabretooth a threat again after so many years of Victor jobbing.

I take it you haven't read this issue then?

No, will go through it when I hit up the comic shop later this week. Something big happen? I don't really care about spoilers.

Well read this at your own peril but Wolverine is actually undercover for SHIELD and and his using his powerlessness to infiltrate the Offers crime syndicate in an attempt to take down Sabertooth, it also gives you reasons for why Logan has been acting the way he's been acting and what the deal with the reporter was.

haha

Online
Posted by Jonny_Anonymous
Online
Posted by Wolverine08

@wolverine08: Have you checked it out yet?

Naw, I'm going to be at the comic shop next week. I tend to pick up my comics within two weeks intervals so I can read in bulk, and last week I went, so this is my off week. For the first time in a while, I'm kind of excited to check out Paul Cornell's Wolverine though.