Comic Vine Review

Comments

The Flash #17 - Gorilla Warfare, Part 5: The Way Home Review

4

It's the finale of the war against Grodd. What will this mean for those stuck in the Speed Force?

The Good

Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato have completed their Gorilla Grodd story. Wrapping up other elements as well (those stuck in the Speed Force for several issues), we get to see Barry firmly grasp his role as Flash. The Flash fighting while inside the Speed Force allows him to unleash his fury upon Grodd. As this goes on, the Central City Police Department and the Rogues attempt to deal with the rest of Grodd's army.

The art team of Manapul and Buccellato continues to take the series to new levels. The detail and 'special fx' inside the Speed Force or when Turbine uses his powers makes a great scene even more spectacular.

Even as the story wraps up several plot points, we do see seeds planted for what's coming up. We get hints what's next for the Rogues, Barry, Patty, Iris and even Dr. Elias.

You also have to love the reunion between Flash and Iris, even if there's other matters complicating things. And of course we get a nice juicy cliffhanger at the end - the introduction of a new major problem for the Flash.

The Bad

The Gorilla Warfare story was fun but the ending was a little lackluster. What to do with a villain at the end of a story/arc can always go a number of ways. Grodd's 'end' felt like it just suddenly happened. The story itself felt as if it was moving along and then everything was resolved.

Minor gripe: Captain Frye wonders how to save the stadium full of people hooked up to Grodd's device. He decides to just unplug a cable without worrying over the possibility that it could wipe out or fry their minds.

The Verdict

Barry's battle against Gorrilla Grodd is over and he might have a tiny moment to catch his breath. Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato bring the story to a conclusion and treat us with their glorious art and colors. While the story was moving along, there is a small sense that it all abruptly ends here. There is plenty of resolution for the different characters as well as the set up for what's next for them. We also get a big cliffhanger at the end as we see a big problem for the Flash develop.

17 Comments
Posted by leosol

That last panel is pretty amazing. Can't wait for next month.

Posted by Mucklefluga

I wanna see the last page!

Posted by zachkastner

I was just smiling to see Flash/Iris back together for a fleeting second in the Speed Force. And the little glimmer of hope as their scene ended in the latter part of the issue.

Not that I don't like Patty, but come on. Flash and Iris. That's the thing that sold me on reading The Flash for the first time back when Johns and Manapul where spinning out of Brightest Day. Then I dug through all of the back history to get more of the wonderful Flash Family materials. So, long story short, more Iris!

Edited by Fantasgasmic

I wouldn't call that last page a cliffhanger, it's more of a teaser for the new Reverse Flash. And on that note, I'm liking the design, except for his face.

Posted by Superdork

Best book of the week.

Posted by SmashBrawler

The new Reverse Flash looks... interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing what did Manapul and Buccellato mean when they said he's going to be scarier than previous versions.

Posted by HollowPrince665

I have never read a Flash comic in my life until about two months ago when a friend handed me all of his new 52 comics to read....I love this series so much. I am very excited. I hear that a lot of people don't like this series and thats unfortunate, because there are a lot of great things here.

Posted by Zeeguy91

@zachkastner said:

I was just smiling to see Flash/Iris back together for a fleeting second in the Speed Force. And the little glimmer of hope as their scene ended in the latter part of the issue.

Not that I don't like Patty, but come on. Flash and Iris. That's the thing that sold me on reading The Flash for the first time back when Johns and Manapul where spinning out of Brightest Day. Then I dug through all of the back history to get more of the wonderful Flash Family materials. So, long story short, more Iris!

Agreed!

@HollowPrince665 said:

I have never read a Flash comic in my life until about two months ago when a friend handed me all of his new 52 comics to read....I love this series so much. I am very excited. I hear that a lot of people don't like this series and thats unfortunate, because there are a lot of great things here.

I wouldn't say that really anyone dislikes this series. Maybe a few people, but pretty much all the chatter I've heard about this book has been very, very positive. So, I think its not that people dislike it, more so that its just under the radar for a lot of people. Its not talked about too much, but the talk it does get is generally positive.

Posted by kingjoeg

I've bought all of this run so far and I don't want to drop it this far into the story. But it's been dragging along for ages. Anyone else in a similar postion?

Posted by Imagine_Man15

Love this book! Probably my favorite issue of the week.

Edited by JLDoom

Even though I'll agree that the ending did feel kinda rushed... oh, that last page was amazing

I honestly cant wait for next month

Posted by Equonox

Who is the new Reverse Flash Was it Doctor Elias? I kinda thought it was but that connection wasn't clear, and I kinda concluded he wasn't...someone help me lol

Posted by paralaxsteve

I loved this issue and the arc I love the cliffhanger at the end especially as it doesn't reveal too much it just gives you a little taste brilliant. Although I must agree with you GMan regarding the way the fight between Flash and Grodd ended it did feel like a lot of build up for a 'flash' ending. Flash is run of my favourite all time characters and is always on my pull list and can't wait to see what's next for Barry Allen.

Posted by hunterzolomin

I AM SO ANGRY WITH THIS BOOK!!!!! THE DESIGN OF...... IS CRAPTACULAR WITH A SIDE OF POOP.

Posted by The Mighty Monarch

@Equonox said:

Who is the new Reverse Flash Was it Doctor Elias? I kinda thought it was but that connection wasn't clear, and I kinda concluded he wasn't...someone help me lol

I think we're not supposed to know for sure yet, but I think it's pretty obvious it's that one guy who was driving the tank last issue. He had some weird effect from the Speed Force last issue, and last issue Barry mentioned feeling something in the Speed Force with connection to it as strong as his own that wasn't Grodd.

Posted by Batman242

@Fantasgasmic said:

I wouldn't call that last page a cliffhanger, it's more of a teaser for the new Reverse Flash. And on that note, I'm liking the design, except for his face.

Pretty much this.

Posted by mickeymayhew

am I one of the few who thinks the art on this book is dreadful? everyone looks about ten years old