Comic Vine Review

Comments

Nightwing #0 - Perpetual Motion Review

5

Zero month continues as we travel back to the time before Dick Grayson became Robin. Find out if there are any changes to his origin.

The Good

There's been a lot of talk over the "five year" time period and the question of how all the Batman history and continuity could fit in. This issues starts off with "A Few Years Ago." That makes it easier to swallow and we don't have to get hung up on trying to sort out the timeline.

This is Dick Grayson while he was still at Haly's Circus. There are some tweaks and updates to his character compared to what we already know. Seeing him race across town with a buddy while doing some parkour moves separates him from the Golden Age version that many didn't take seriously.

One focus we see is Dick's ability to read people and surroundings. It's not a superhuman ability but something he's been trained to do. It makes sense in being an acrobat and trapeze artist. He has to know what his partners are going to do and when they're going to make their move. I don't recall this really being mentioned before but it's a brilliant idea.

While reading this, I kept thinking back to the original origin. It seemed Dick's parents were killed and he simply moved in with Bruce and became his ward. We have seen stories afterward where Dick deal with trying to solve what happened. This little updated story adds a little more credibility to the situation. There's more of a look at how he deals with it all as he goes along the path that will eventually lead him to become Robin and then Nightwing.

The art carries the frantic pacing of the action. Thank goodness Eddy Barrows was used to handle the art duties here. If you've been wondering what Dick's Robin costume looked like, you'll find out here. (Did he wear shorts and pixie boots?) Seeing some of his training process makes Nightwing an even cooler character than he was before.

The Bad

Here we go with the time thing again. Dick seems younger here as if this story did take place more than five years prior to the current issues. The updates to his story are great but there were some elements that made him a little similar to Jason Todd and Tim Drake. Each has always had different character traits but we're seeing some overlap here.

There was a couple minor cheesy moments but overall it was full of excitement.

The Verdict

This is where we get to see the birth of Dick Grayson as a crime fighter. Despite already knowing his origin, there is plenty to see here to make this a fun and exciting read. Some aspects of Dick's past, abilities and training have been tweaked but this is the time to do it after all. The New 52 is about updating the characters and it's definitely not taking extreme liberties that will earn the wrath of fans. Dick Grayson as Robin was cool but let's be honest, he was something most of us chuckled at. Kyle Higgins and Tom Defalco have added just a tiny bit of spice to push him over the top. I want to see more of Dick in this time period. I couldn't ask for anything more in this issue except for extra pages to keep the story going.

43 Comments
Posted by Mucklefluga

I'm definitely going to check this out to see how much has changed in his origin and how the timeline all works out.

Posted by Squalleon

I so want to read that!

Posted by Aeroman

definitely picking this up

Edited by Owen_Porter
Moderator
Posted by Outside_85

@Gambler: Pardon for asking, wouldn't that particular skill be something every Bat character has to learn in order tell what's what, who's sweating more than others and who's about to pull out a concealed weapon and start shooting?

Posted by cc1738

I loved this issue. It was one of the better Nightwing issues imo. I can't say enough good things about the issue which is surprising because I honestly used to hate Dick Grayson as Robin. I thought he was dumb before he became Nightwing.

I hope they'll tackle the story about how he became Nightwing in the future. I know how it happened, but I never read the story.

Edited by Owen_Porter

@Outside_85: I dont mind you asking. Pre-DCNU all Batcharacters had a level of combat anticipation (most street level characters do). But not on the level of Cass Cain. They simply took the one defining characteristic of a badass character that they hate and gave it Dick Grayson. The fact that they're showcasing this as some sort of new ability for Nightwing only adds to my growing list of concerns as it pertains to Cassandra Cain's future.

Moderator
Posted by r3d_rob1n

I thought the constant repetition of Dick saying "Things change" was a nice touch. I can definitely see it as a subliminal way of helping the fans accept the minor tweaks that are going to happen to every character in the New 52. Things might be a little different now, but I'm excited to see the new paths for each character. If we don't like it, we can always fall back the pre-52 stuff. It isn't like DC has rounded up all old stories and burned them.

Posted by livlig

I have been kind of indifferent to Nightwing so far in the New 52, but I'm still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and pick this up - and maybe the beginning of the next arc...

Posted by danhimself

now I want a Batman and Robin series set in the past with Dick as Robin....never going to happen :(

Posted by r3d_rob1n

@danhimself: A book set in the past would be awesome. Reading this issue really made me realize how much I miss Dick or Tim as Robin. Damian just doesn't cut it for me. I like my Robins more lighthearted

Posted by danhimself

@r3d_rob1n: I definitely agree

Posted by Selinaky

I really enjoyed this issue.

Posted by Cavemold

Great issue , awsome art!glad I got another dick Grayson origin

Posted by zackattack529

im not exagerating when i say this was the best of the 0 issues so far..well as far as the origin stories of the new 52 so far..i really liked the story, the art..this issue gives you all the traits of what makes Dick more special then the other robins(or at least what serperates him from them) Ive always found Dick to be my favorite bat family character next to Babs(oracle and Com. Gordon.

and the 5/5 rating is exactly what this Issue deserves, no less :)

If i could only afford one bat title on my Pull im sticking with Nightwing all the way

Posted by Mercy_

I finished reading this like an hour ago...just re-read it. It was just as amazing. I don't think I can quite articulate just how perfect it was. We've heard Dick's story a million times, but this re-telling (and rejuvenating) of it was perfect and poignant. It hit all the right emotional notes and some amazing action ones as well. That Shiva scene at the end was perfect. It was just a taste of how effortlessly badass that she is and leaves me wanting more.

Moderator
Posted by RedX9

Awesome read. Loved it

Posted by Mercy_

@Gambler said:

only adds to my growing list of concerns as it pertains to Cassandra Cain's future.

I thought we just gave up on Cass entirely. It's a lost cause.

Moderator
Posted by longbowhunter

I dropped this title after last issue. Just didn't find it to be necessary reading. This sounds good though. May pick up the "Death of the Family" issues in a few months.

Posted by Sovereign91001

That little teaser with Shiva has me wondering if she played any role in Dick's training, either during his tenure as Robin or during his transition to Nightwing...

Posted by Suprman

Overall it was a very good issue. I wish we had seen more of the transition from Robin into Nightwing but on the other hand Dick's origin was handled really well and made me forget about it. And I'm really glad they got rid of the underpants uniform.

Posted by SmoothJammin

One focus we see is Dick's ability to read people and surroundings. It's not a superhuman ability but something he's been trained to do. It makes sense in being an acrobat and trapeze artist. He has to know what his partners are going to do and when they're going to make their move. I don't recall this really being mentioned before but it's a brilliant idea.

"With me, it's all in the timing."

Lo and behold.. I've noticed this even before the new 52!

Posted by fullmetalquach

Well as far as the time thing goes in Batman #0 when they showed all the Robins and the first use of the bat signal Dick's moment was the night before or the night of the night of his parents' murder i think

Posted by VampireSelektor

@Gambler said:

Sooooooo, they (DC) jacked Cassandra Cain's ability and gave it to Dick Grayson? F'n ridiculous. I like alot of things about the DCU, but their unmitigated hatred for Cassandra Cain is not one of them.

One could argue that the legacy characters like Cass and Steph are redundant in the New52. Also, the ability to read people's body language and react swiftly doesn't stray too far from Dick's natural intuition, timing, and superb reflexes.

Posted by GBrutality

this is an issue where i did like it but i get that whole alternate universe feeling. it's cool, but i always was able to go back to the regular one and be happy with what was given there and the familiarity. i always saw dick as becoming a better detective when he became batman, beforehand not so much. that was bruce and tim's thing. also the whole "months later" labeling, when i think months later i think at least 4-5. so this time frame thing i think dc is really starting to realize they messed up bad.

the other thing i'm not so much a fan of is him not living at wayne manor and giving him a job a la terry mcginnis. the only reason i could see is the area where people in the real world found it funny that a man took a boy into his home like batman did. and making humorous jabs at the characters like in the venture brothers. almost as if DC just got wind of it and decided "we'll be having none of that, they'll just work at his manor now! that's more modern day friendly!" when they should realize it worked because it was an orphan taking in another orphan, like kindred spirits. i don't know, this has just been getting me mad sort of.

Posted by SmoothJammin

@Gambler: I love that they gave him this.

R.I.P. Cassandra Cain 1999-2011

Posted by BatWatch

Boy, I thought this was by far the worst Nightwing issue of recent. Grayson's parkour abilities are pretty BA, but violating his parents wishes and the law and putting others lives at risk by his antics seem completely out of character.

Also, there are lots of little problems like Comissioner Gordon giving Bruce Wayne the inside track on the investigation for no apparent reason, and the huge change that Dick Grayson discovers Batman's identity which undermines Bruce's nobleness in taking Dick as his ward.

Not good in my opinion.

Check out my review if you are interested. http://www.comicvine.com/nightwing-perpetual-motion/37-357621/

Posted by Dernman

One of the best issues in his series IMO. I really enjoyed it. It also clears up at least for me some more of the 5 year time table problem.

Posted by Owen_Porter

@Mercy_ said:

@Gambler said:

only adds to my growing list of concerns as it pertains to Cassandra Cain's future.

I thought we just gave up on Cass entirely. It's a lost cause.

Thats me saying it again in a more political way.

Moderator
Posted by That60sGuy

Dick Grayson as Robin was cool

No. No he wasn't.

he was something most of us chuckled at

Yes. Yes we did.

Posted by wallywest55

This issue is retarded!!!! sooo why are they giving dick grayson buffs for no reason? I guess we shall see in the next issue what happens but if he gets combat training from lady shiva or hangs with lady shiva in a fight or anything not lady shiva messing him up i think imma straight rage! bc while tim drake is getting debuffs and looking straight stupid while dick is getting his shine on.

Posted by KnightRise

LOVED IT!!!

One thing about his costume: I hope that is just the makeshift version like he said, not the official first Robinsuit. Jaosn's version from Red Hood 6 and 0 was the perfect reimagining of the classic one. To me, brighter colors and the short sleeves worked for little Dick. Also, I always liked the fact that Dick and Jason wore the same style, while Tim upgraded the look. But the Robinsuit from Batgirl 0 was entirely different.

Edited by Godlike130

@wallywest55 said:

This issue is retarded!!!! sooo why are they giving dick grayson buffs for no reason? I guess we shall see in the next issue what happens but if he gets combat training from lady shiva or hangs with lady shiva in a fight or anything not lady shiva messing him up i think imma straight rage! bc while tim drake is getting debuffs and looking straight stupid while dick is getting his shine on.

There not giving him buffs for no reason. These buffs where there before, more or less. It wasn't till Tim appeared the they then decided to make Dick stupider so Tim could be special. So he can be the smart one, the detective. It make sense that Dick would be good at reading things. The title on the cover is called Nightwing. Its not its concern what other do with Tim Drake, its concern is Dick Grayson.

Posted by Perfect 10

beautiful art and this is the first issue of Nightwing that actually grabbed me. from the opening sequence to the last page i was totally engaged. now for my fanboy rage.

dick no longer is batman's ward/son but employee? bogus. that changes their entire dynamic and relationship. not liking that change at all. his robin costume, too tim drake. speaking of tim drake...Shiva calls Tim little bird and it is she who sees the great potential of Tim being a greater fighter then Batman but now they are giving that storyline to Dick? no way. how about creating a NEW martial arts master to take an interest in Dick, or better yet bring back a legend like Richard Dragon and have him train Dick.

with that off my chest i still liked this issue and cant wait til my girl Shiva shows up in issue 13

Posted by wallywest55

@Godlike130: Those buffs were not there b4. DIck has always been good but nothing about him i guess accept his agilty was just like OMG. After tim appeared they tried to make dick a lil better but tim was just as good in his own way. Pre new 52 dick puts on the batman suit and is Bruce lvl for some reason. Now post 52 his comics were pretty bad and now in his origin story they are trying to make him beyond Bruce lvl. Soooooooooo yep. its retarded however u look at it.

Posted by VampireSelektor

@Perfect 10 said:

beautiful art and this is the first issue of Nightwing that actually grabbed me. from the opening sequence to the last page i was totally engaged. now for my fanboy rage.

dick no longer is batman's ward/son but employee? bogus. that changes their entire dynamic and relationship. not liking that change at all. his robin costume, too tim drake. speaking of tim drake...Shiva calls Tim little bird and it is she who sees the great potential of Tim being a greater fighter then Batman but now they are giving that storyline to Dick? no way. how about creating a NEW martial arts master to take an interest in Dick, or better yet bring back a legend like Richard Dragon and have him train Dick.

with that off my chest i still liked this issue and cant wait til my girl Shiva shows up in issue 13

Bruce and Dick appeared to be as close as ever during the "Court of Owls" arc. Perhaps the employer/employee relationship develops over the years into the bond readers are familiar with today.

Posted by ltbrd

@wallywest55: What does "beyond Bruce lvl" even mean??? So he is extremely perceptive as well as naturally athletic and acrobatic. That's not exactly a great buff right there. Also, it fits well with what we already know about Dick in the new 52. He was going to be the next Talon and Haley's Circus was a breeding ground for them. So it does make sense that Dick would have been highly trained by the circus as part of his mold into the next Talon. This could simply have been one of the ways he was trained (of course this issue really didn't address any fact of why his parent's would actually agree to let the Court take him....for awhile I thought they may change his origins to the Court being involved in their death because they were going to try and resist the recruitment).

As for "nothing about him i guess accept his agility was just like OMG"......you do remember that Two-Face remarked after OYL how Dick was by far the best Robin not only because of his natural abilities but because of how well he and Batman acted as a team. It was only after OYL that Tim had even come close to acting in concert with Bruce as well as Dick used to. Plus, Dick is the one that founded and led the first incarnation of the Teen Titans to come out from Bruce's shadow (still waiting to see if that's true in new 52). He was also tagged by Bruce to led the Justice League, which he did, should the original members ever go missing. He's also led an incarnation of the Outsiders and was acknowledged by both Batman and Superman as being one of the defining members of the superhero community because of either his connections to other heroes or the respect the community has for him. Not exactly a bad resume pre-new 52.

As for pre-new 52 Dick putting on the Batsuit and being at Bruce lvl.........did you even read any run with Dick in the suit. The writers were very clear in showing how different Dick's fighting style was to Bruce, how he didn't have plans for everything (Two-Face was able to break into the batcave at one point because of Dick's lack of preparation and security), he had to modify the suit so it conformed to his fighting style, he had to keep using his escrima sticks, his Justice League barely survived any of their true engagements and he had a really hard time keeping them all together. His only true feat as the replacement Batman was how much Damian developed under him and their teamwork improved (now, I'm not trying to be hard on Dick because I actually think DC should have left Bruce dead and Dick become Batman but it was clear in that year of stories that Dick was not at Bruce's lvl and he even acknowledged it himself).

: Its been pretty obvious from the onset of the new 52 that Dick's relationship with Bruce was far closer to a younger sibling or employee even before this issue. He's questioned Bruce on a few issues and plans already. Also, Shiva has been around a lot longer than Tim Drake (13 years to be exact) and came into conflict with both Bruce and Dick before Tim came around. Yeah, her comments are part of Tim's origin, but since DC is adamant about working in the five year timeline it doesn't work for Tim to be going on European training tours in the timeframe allotted to him. Also, DC had stepped back from the idea of Tim surpassing Bruce as a fighter long before the new 52 came around and focused his character into being smarter than Bruce. In this way, pre-new 52, each former Robin was supposed to emphasize an aspect of Bruce. Dick was fighting. Jason was mission/obsession. and Tim was intelligence. So you're angry about a character point that was dropped years and years ago for a more prominent and defining character point over the last 5-8 years.

Plus, they've clearly shown that Tim is going to be pretty well advanced for his age even before putting on the Robin/Red Robin mantle in Batman 0. Not only did they make sure to emphasize his intelligence (again, aspects of Bruce in each one) but also pointed out that he is a trained gymnast before meeting Bruce (which was actually a distinct point of his origin as he was not athletic before meeting Bruce and he had to work harder than Dick or Jason to bring his physical abilities up to the necessary levels Bruce expected before putting him on the streets) and supposedly he's an Olympic class decathalon athlete already as well. So if anything they have buffed Tim up in his new 52 origin even more than they did Dick by showcasing him as this prodigy from the get-go rather than an untapped prodigy who's talents Bruce and Shiva really brought out and honed.

Did any of us really think the bare legs and pixy boots were really going to survive in the new 52? I mean, really, they gave Superman armor. You really thought the original Robin look was going to come back? Come on.

Now that my rebuttals are over.....the big plus of this issue was "A few years ago" and "Months later". Finally, one issue of the new 52 at least just left marking the years behind and just said this all happened in the past and that's how we are going to leave it. Its also nice that they left in the idea that Bruce didn't really want Dick to work the streets but let him help by being on monitor duty until he became an adult and that Dick had to be the one to break that idea. The only real con I have for this issue is that they use the batcave instead of the bunker underneath the brownstone and they made Bruce look very unsure of himself and amateurish. While it can be chalked up to his early days as Batman, it still seemed very out of character to be exposing nervous ticks and habits as well as getting completely dominated by Shiva rather than simply fighting her to a stand-still.

However I thought this issue firmly cemented the new concept of Bruce and Dick's relationship being much more like brothers than father/son. Given the timeline restrictions on the new 52 I think that's the best way to go so it was nice that this issue didn't try and backpedal away from that concept.

Edited by VampireSelektor

@ltbrd said:

@wallywest55: What does "beyond Bruce lvl" even mean??? So he is extremely perceptive as well as naturally athletic and acrobatic. That's not exactly a great buff right there. Also, it fits well with what we already know about Dick in the new 52. He was going to be the next Talon and Haley's Circus was a breeding ground for them. So it does make sense that Dick would have been highly trained by the circus as part of his mold into the next Talon. This could simply have been one of the ways he was trained (of course this issue really didn't address any fact of why his parent's would actually agree to let the Court take him....for awhile I thought they may change his origins to the Court being involved in their death because they were going to try and resist the recruitment).

As for "nothing about him i guess accept his agility was just like OMG"......you do remember that Two-Face remarked after OYL how Dick was by far the best Robin not only because of his natural abilities but because of how well he and Batman acted as a team. It was only after OYL that Tim had even come close to acting in concert with Bruce as well as Dick used to. Plus, Dick is the one that founded and led the first incarnation of the Teen Titans to come out from Bruce's shadow (still waiting to see if that's true in new 52). He was also tagged by Bruce to led the Justice League, which he did, should the original members ever go missing. He's also led an incarnation of the Outsiders and was acknowledged by both Batman and Superman as being one of the defining members of the superhero community because of either his connections to other heroes or the respect the community has for him. Not exactly a bad resume pre-new 52.

As for pre-new 52 Dick putting on the Batsuit and being at Bruce lvl.........did you even read any run with Dick in the suit. The writers were very clear in showing how different Dick's fighting style was to Bruce, how he didn't have plans for everything (Two-Face was able to break into the batcave at one point because of Dick's lack of preparation and security), he had to modify the suit so it conformed to his fighting style, he had to keep using his escrima sticks, his Justice League barely survived any of their true engagements and he had a really hard time keeping them all together. His only true feat as the replacement Batman was how much Damian developed under him and their teamwork improved (now, I'm not trying to be hard on Dick because I actually think DC should have left Bruce dead and Dick become Batman but it was clear in that year of stories that Dick was not at Bruce's lvl and he even acknowledged it himself).

: Its been pretty obvious from the onset of the new 52 that Dick's relationship with Bruce was far closer to a younger sibling or employee even before this issue. He's questioned Bruce on a few issues and plans already. Also, Shiva has been around a lot longer than Tim Drake (13 years to be exact) and came into conflict with both Bruce and Dick before Tim came around. Yeah, her comments are part of Tim's origin, but since DC is adamant about working in the five year timeline it doesn't work for Tim to be going on European training tours in the timeframe allotted to him. Also, DC had stepped back from the idea of Tim surpassing Bruce as a fighter long before the new 52 came around and focused his character into being smarter than Bruce. In this way, pre-new 52, each former Robin was supposed to emphasize an aspect of Bruce. Dick was fighting. Jason was mission/obsession. and Tim was intelligence. So you're angry about a character point that was dropped years and years ago for a more prominent and defining character point over the last 5-8 years.

Plus, they've clearly shown that Tim is going to be pretty well advanced for his age even before putting on the Robin/Red Robin mantle in Batman 0. Not only did they make sure to emphasize his intelligence (again, aspects of Bruce in each one) but also pointed out that he is a trained gymnast before meeting Bruce (which was actually a distinct point of his origin as he was not athletic before meeting Bruce and he had to work harder than Dick or Jason to bring his physical abilities up to the necessary levels Bruce expected before putting him on the streets) and supposedly he's an Olympic class decathalon athlete already as well. So if anything they have buffed Tim up in his new 52 origin even more than they did Dick by showcasing him as this prodigy from the get-go rather than an untapped prodigy who's talents Bruce and Shiva really brought out and honed.

Did any of us really think the bare legs and pixy boots were really going to survive in the new 52? I mean, really, they gave Superman armor. You really thought the original Robin look was going to come back? Come on.

Now that my rebuttals are over.....the big plus of this issue was "A few years ago" and "Months later". Finally, one issue of the new 52 at least just left marking the years behind and just said this all happened in the past and that's how we are going to leave it. Its also nice that they left in the idea that Bruce didn't really want Dick to work the streets but let him help by being on monitor duty until he became an adult and that Dick had to be the one to break that idea. The only real con I have for this issue is that they use the batcave instead of the bunker underneath the brownstone and they made Bruce look very unsure of himself and amateurish. While it can be chalked up to his early days as Batman, it still seemed very out of character to be exposing nervous ticks and habits as well as getting completely dominated by Shiva rather than simply fighting her to a stand-still.

However I thought this issue firmly cemented the new concept of Bruce and Dick's relationship being much more like brothers than father/son. Given the timeline restrictions on the new 52 I think that's the best way to go so it was nice that this issue didn't try and backpedal away from that concept.

First of all, your rebuttals should be directed towards since you are debating his points, not mine. I only quoted him to note the closeness between Bruce and Dick. Secondly, "Teen Titans" #0, based on the previews, seems to showcase Tim's ambition, like how "Nightwing" #0 portrays Dick's preternatural ability. How Tim compares to Dick as a fighter remains unknown, would-be Olympic athlete or not.

Posted by Booster_Bronze

My favorite part of the Nightwing series has always been the detailed drawings of him going through maneuvers to get from one place to another. Showing, in an almost Family Circus kind of way, how he jumps from one building to another, doing acrobat moves along the way. Very cool.

Edited by Godlike130

@wallywest55 said:

@Godlike130: Those buffs were not there b4. DIck has always been good but nothing about him i guess accept his agilty was just like OMG. After tim appeared they tried to make dick a lil better but tim was just as good in his own way. Pre new 52 dick puts on the batman suit and is Bruce lvl for some reason. Now post 52 his comics were pretty bad and now in his origin story they are trying to make him beyond Bruce lvl. Soooooooooo yep. its retarded however u look at it.

Oh read a copy of NTT. Seriously. Dick was one of the most respected superheros in the superhero community, and one of the best leaders in the DCU. A brilliant tactician who excelled at thinking on his feet. So being good a reading people and his surroundings isn't really a new buff. It made quite a bit of sense actually.

After Tim appeared they deliberately started to down play his intellectual side so that Tim could have something to stand out, so he can be the "smart one", the "detective". Tim was never as good, not really. Because while Tim might have been smart, Dick was pretty much the whole package. A consummate superhero. Though Tim never cared becaust Tim was Dick's #1 fan. Drove Jason bananas though.

Pre-new 52 Dick puts on the Batman suit and Morrison decides to write him how he should be written. As someone who has been doing this since he was 12 years old. Someone who's seen it all, and did it all coming into his prime.

Now post 52 everyone is a bit younger, less experienced, and their histories condensed. But he's still the same character. Even if they decided to strip Teen Titans from him and his generation to give to Tim and his generation. Talk about a comic thats pretty bad.

And have some class, stop using "retarded".

Posted by DocFishstick

one of the best Nightwing books. loved everything about it. his ability to read people and surroundings is great. it sets him apart from the other robins. love the work Kyle is doing with Nightwing.

Posted by VampireSelektor

@Godlike130 said:

@wallywest55 said:

@Godlike130: Those buffs were not there b4. DIck has always been good but nothing about him i guess accept his agilty was just like OMG. After tim appeared they tried to make dick a lil better but tim was just as good in his own way. Pre new 52 dick puts on the batman suit and is Bruce lvl for some reason. Now post 52 his comics were pretty bad and now in his origin story they are trying to make him beyond Bruce lvl. Soooooooooo yep. its retarded however u look at it.

Oh read a copy of NTT. Seriously. Dick was one of the most respected superheros in the superhero community, and one of the best leaders in the DCU. A brilliant tactician who excelled at thinking on his feet. So being good a reading people and his surroundings isn't really a new buff. It made quite a bit of sense actually.

After Tim appeared they deliberately started to down play his intellectual side so that Tim could have something to stand out, so he can be the "smart one", the "detective". Tim was never as good, not really. Because while Tim might have been smart, Dick was pretty much the whole package. A consummate superhero. Though Tim never cared becaust Tim was Dick's #1 fan. Drove Jason bananas though.

Pre-new 52 Dick puts on the Batman suit and Morrison decides to write him how he should be written. As someone who has been doing this since he was 12 years old. Someone who's seen it all, and did it all coming into his prime.

Now post 52 everyone is a bit younger, less experienced, and their histories condensed. But he's still the same character. Even if they decided to strip Teen Titans from him and his generation to give to Tim and his generation. Talk about a comic thats pretty bad.

And have some class, stop using "retarded".

Oh, "buff" means upgrade. I agree with all of your points.

Posted by neiliusprime

I like Dick Grayson's origin in this issue, but for some reason I feel like he wasn't Robin for a long period of time.