Comic Vine Review

32 Comments

Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man #4 Review

4

Miles faces Norman Osborn! Luckily, he has a little help from Peter Parker.

The Good

The moment a lot of fans have been waiting for, since the start of the series, is here. Miles Morales and Norman Osborn have a no holds barred, drag-out fight. Peter Parker Spider-Man returns to help even the score as well.

If you wanted a fight of pretty epic proportions, then this is the issue for you. This fight is pretty dang brutal and doesn't let up, even though it destroys the neighborhood around Miles. David Marquez (art) and Justin Ponsor (colors) really deliver a lot of suspense and drama through their art in this issue. There's some particularly great looking moments, like web Miles hits Osborn in the face, with the helicopter shining a light down on them. The color work here is awesome, especially on Osborn's face.

Marquez makes his page layouts as chaotic as the battle itself in this issue. Each page is unique and gives the readers a new perspective on what is happening in this fight. Each page offers something new from this fight and this is a book Marquez was born to draw. He takes a lot of chances with the way he presents Bendis' writing and it has yet to disappoint.

In addition to this fight, we get to see the reactions to those closest to Peter and Miles: Ganke, Gwen Stacy, Aunt May, etc. This fight isn't just a one-on-one (two) happening. Everything happening here has a ripple effect through the Ultimate Universe, and it's nice to see looks on other people's faces that are glued to their televisions/computers/tablets, during this.

The Bad

MILES MORALES is starting to feel very formulaic. The past couple of issues have been a moment in time more, contributing to the story, rather than something a little more fleshed out. Miles has a problem, he faces said problem, it looks like he's going to fail, someone comes in to help out, and cliffhanger. While it's a fun ride, there's still little given to the reader about what is going on with Peter Parker and the Spider-Crooks, which is fine in a sense, but still a tad frustrating.

The Verdict

MILES MORALES #4 gives fans a fight, but puts a hold on a few of the sub-plots/mysteries that made the kick off to this series amazing. The issue is a ton of fun and has some gorgeous artwork, and it's still one of Marvel's top books, month after month. If you haven't been reading this series, what are you waiting for? Mile Morales is the greatest Spider-Man ever. I said it.

32 Comments
Edited by micah

Great review. The Ultimate Universe rules.

Posted by kcomicfan

is it the real ultimate Peter Parker?

Posted by sparty-dbq

Yeah, there's been no advancement on the Spider-Crooks or Miles' dad since the first issue. Too many balls in the air.

Posted by Master_Thief

GUYS TALK TO ME WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS ISSUE!!!!

Posted by Jphu8414

Awesome issue but why do the covers and solicits just straight up lie?

Posted by inferiorego

GUYS TALK TO ME WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS ISSUE!!!!

Two people fought

Posted by danhimself

@master_thief: Miles is fighting Norman and is putting up a semi-decent fight but you can tell that he doesn't stand a chance....until "Peter" shows up..."Peter" and Norman fight and during the fight Miles manages to get a spider sting in on Norman which takes him down for a moment but he runs away right after....the entire fight is being broadcasted over the news and we see reactions from all of Peter's and Miles' loved ones and Aunt May says that she knows that this is her Peter...then the issue ends...also we get a little of Kate's reaction to the news she received last issue as she tells her older sister about even telling her that Miles is Spider-man...their conversation leads us to believe that her parents may be supervillains of some sort

Posted by harashkupo

@master_thief said:

GUYS TALK TO ME WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS ISSUE!!!!

Two people fought

Technically 3 and 2 sisters bonded.

Posted by Master_Thief

@master_thief: Miles is fighting Norman and is putting up a semi-decent fight but you can tell that he doesn't stand a chance....until "Peter" shows up..."Peter" and Norman fight and during the fight Miles manages to get a spider sting in on Norman which takes him down for a moment but he runs away right after....the entire fight is being broadcasted over the news and we see reactions from all of Peter's and Miles' loved ones and Aunt May says that she knows that this is her Peter...then the issue ends...also we get a little of Kate's reaction to the news she received last issue as she tells her older sister about even telling her that Miles is Spider-man...their conversation leads us to believe that her parents may be supervillains of some sort

OH MAN I hope it is him

Posted by danhimself

I really love this book and the cliffhangers definitely do what they're intended to do in that I'm always left reeling and wanting more but the plot really isn't advancing enough per issue....I want some revelations! I want some payoff!

Posted by Egie_Asemota1

@inferiorego: mat 'the tease', keep up the good work man. love this comic and character.

Posted by danhimself

@danhimself said:

@master_thief: Miles is fighting Norman and is putting up a semi-decent fight but you can tell that he doesn't stand a chance....until "Peter" shows up..."Peter" and Norman fight and during the fight Miles manages to get a spider sting in on Norman which takes him down for a moment but he runs away right after....the entire fight is being broadcasted over the news and we see reactions from all of Peter's and Miles' loved ones and Aunt May says that she knows that this is her Peter...then the issue ends...also we get a little of Kate's reaction to the news she received last issue as she tells her older sister about even telling her that Miles is Spider-man...their conversation leads us to believe that her parents may be supervillains of some sort

OH MAN I hope it is him

I'm not really sure what I want at this point....Peter Parker's death was without a doubt one of the best done deaths in comics...it's had lasting ramifications on the UU that are still being felt today....he sacrificed himself saving his family and in his way made up for the fact that he couldn't save Uncle Ben...I'm usually not one of those people who claims that a character's resurrection makes his death/sacrifice null and void since it really doesn't..the character would have had no idea at the time that they would be returning so they were still willing to make the ultimate sacrifice...but I kind of feel that with Norman and Peter both back that it does indeed take away from that moment and the feelings that we all had over his death

on the other hand...I've already thought of a way that they could bring him back without using resurrection at all....Norman has come back from the "dead" multiple times by simply having a very powerful healing factor thanks to the OZ...the same OZ that gave Peter his powers....who's to say that Peter didn't really die at all and recovered back at the Triskelion and that due to his identity being known by the whole world now Fury forces him into hiding to protect Peter's family....well now SHIELD is gone so Peter breaks out of Fury's witness protection and goes to take back his life

or it's a clone...it's probably a clone

Posted by 8008S

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I think Aunt May and the gang are in for another heartbreak...

Edited by Baron_BJ

@danhimself said:

@master_thief said:

@danhimself said:

@master_thief: Miles is fighting Norman and is putting up a semi-decent fight but you can tell that he doesn't stand a chance....until "Peter" shows up..."Peter" and Norman fight and during the fight Miles manages to get a spider sting in on Norman which takes him down for a moment but he runs away right after....the entire fight is being broadcasted over the news and we see reactions from all of Peter's and Miles' loved ones and Aunt May says that she knows that this is her Peter...then the issue ends...also we get a little of Kate's reaction to the news she received last issue as she tells her older sister about even telling her that Miles is Spider-man...their conversation leads us to believe that her parents may be supervillains of some sort

OH MAN I hope it is him

I'm not really sure what I want at this point....Peter Parker's death was without a doubt one of the best done deaths in comics...it's had lasting ramifications on the UU that are still being felt today....he sacrificed himself saving his family and in his way made up for the fact that he couldn't save Uncle Ben...I'm usually not one of those people who claims that a character's resurrection makes his death/sacrifice null and void since it really doesn't..the character would have had no idea at the time that they would be returning so they were still willing to make the ultimate sacrifice...but I kind of feel that with Norman and Peter both back that it does indeed take away from that moment and the feelings that we all had over his death

on the other hand...I've already thought of a way that they could bring him back without using resurrection at all....Norman has come back from the "dead" multiple times by simply having a very powerful healing factor thanks to the OZ...the same OZ that gave Peter his powers....who's to say that Peter didn't really die at all and recovered back at the Triskelion and that due to his identity being known by the whole world now Fury forces him into hiding to protect Peter's family....well now SHIELD is gone so Peter breaks out of Fury's witness protection and goes to take back his life

or it's a clone...it's probably a clone

I disagree with this greatly. Undoing Peter's death (which they won't do, of this I have no doubt), especially in the way that's been depicted thus-far would really be a stain on the character. He dies to save his loved ones and then just chooses to block them out and ignore them completely for over 2 years (in universe time), without even a message to inform them that he's still alive and hiding to protect them to alleviate their suffering?

As to your theory (not bad, I'll admit), but it seems strange. Peter never cowed to Nick Fury in the past, he always fought back. Short of literally imprisoning the character I have difficulty believing Peter would have just sucked it up for 2+ years.

Edited by danhimself

@baron_bj said:

@danhimself said:

@master_thief said:

@danhimself said:

@master_thief: Miles is fighting Norman and is putting up a semi-decent fight but you can tell that he doesn't stand a chance....until "Peter" shows up..."Peter" and Norman fight and during the fight Miles manages to get a spider sting in on Norman which takes him down for a moment but he runs away right after....the entire fight is being broadcasted over the news and we see reactions from all of Peter's and Miles' loved ones and Aunt May says that she knows that this is her Peter...then the issue ends...also we get a little of Kate's reaction to the news she received last issue as she tells her older sister about even telling her that Miles is Spider-man...their conversation leads us to believe that her parents may be supervillains of some sort

OH MAN I hope it is him

I'm not really sure what I want at this point....Peter Parker's death was without a doubt one of the best done deaths in comics...it's had lasting ramifications on the UU that are still being felt today....he sacrificed himself saving his family and in his way made up for the fact that he couldn't save Uncle Ben...I'm usually not one of those people who claims that a character's resurrection makes his death/sacrifice null and void since it really doesn't..the character would have had no idea at the time that they would be returning so they were still willing to make the ultimate sacrifice...but I kind of feel that with Norman and Peter both back that it does indeed take away from that moment and the feelings that we all had over his death

on the other hand...I've already thought of a way that they could bring him back without using resurrection at all....Norman has come back from the "dead" multiple times by simply having a very powerful healing factor thanks to the OZ...the same OZ that gave Peter his powers....who's to say that Peter didn't really die at all and recovered back at the Triskelion and that due to his identity being known by the whole world now Fury forces him into hiding to protect Peter's family....well now SHIELD is gone so Peter breaks out of Fury's witness protection and goes to take back his life

or it's a clone...it's probably a clone

I disagree with this greatly. Undoing Peter's death (which they won't do, of this I have no doubt), especially in the way that's been depicted thus-far would really be a stain on the character. He dies to save his loved ones and then just chooses to block them out and ignore them completely for over 2 years (in universe time), without even a message to inform them that he's still alive and hiding to protect them to alleviate their suffering?

I didn't say that he chose to do it...I said that Fury forces him in to witness protection...it makes sense since as soon as SHIELD is gone Peter comes back

mind you this is all just theories at this point

Posted by maxxyconan

Ok, this is just my opinion based on one thing that Peter says. He says to Miles, "oh yeah, you did that to me too." after seeing Norman be venom blasted. As I recall from Spider-Men, Miles did this to Original Peter when he crossed over dimensions. Not sure why he is over here again, but this makes more sense than bringing him back alive.

Posted by VaizD

Ok, this is just my opinion based on one thing that Peter says. He says to Miles, "oh yeah, you did that to me too." after seeing Norman be venom blasted. As I recall from Spider-Men, Miles did this to Original Peter when he crossed over dimensions. Not sure why he is over here again, but this makes more sense than bringing him back alive.

When alleged resurrected Peter broke into Miles' apartment or whatever, Miles venom blasted him there. I think. I believe that was in issue 2.

Posted by maxxyconan

@vaizd: Oh.....gotta get that issue. Sorta just jumped on this one because of the cover.

Posted by jdp180

Yeah, there's been no advancement on the Spider-Crooks or Miles' dad since the first issue. Too many balls in the air.

which is fine by me because they can always go back to it.

Posted by The_Titan_Lord

Nice.

Edited by Trigg_

This is not the real Peter Parker. Miles is right he's a clone or something else maybe, but not Parker. I just feel sorry for Aunt May, her whole mind is going to be messed up...AGIAN!.

Posted by Goonage

Is anyone else tired of Miles using his venom sting? It seems like every fight he is in has a formula: Gets thrashed by enemy, uses venom sting, magical KO.

Posted by PunyParker

It's getting a tad boring,or is it only me?!

Posted by werst9

Calling it now he's not a clone but a Peter parker from a universe where a lot of people he loved died. That's why he doesn't want miles in the suit and he can't face the rest of the group. Its to painful to see them. Spiderverse is coming and ultimate ff had animal miles Morales. Here is basically spider men 2

Posted by w0nd

@werst9 said:

Calling it now he's not a clone but a Peter parker from a universe where a lot of people he loved died. That's why he doesn't want miles in the suit and he can't face the rest of the group. Its to painful to see them. Spiderverse is coming and ultimate ff had animal miles Morales. Here is basically spider men 2

I don't remember him telling miles to stop. I just remember him demanding HIS webshooters back....even though there should be two pairs, the ones he made and the ones stark made for him.

Did he tell miles to stop?

Posted by Owie

What's surprising to me is that Marquez (who is a great artist) is less good at drawing the Peter version of Spider-Man than any other character. He just doens't look as fleshed out to me.

I'm assuming that Katie Bishop's parents are the new tech-Spider-men?

@goonage said:

Is anyone else tired of Miles using his venom sting? It seems like every fight he is in has a formula: Gets thrashed by enemy, uses venom sting, magical KO.

Yeah, I hear you on that.

Posted by Baron_BJ

@danhimself: Yeah, though I don't care for your idea I'd really want to see Peter's attempts at escaping this "witness protection" program. It doesn't help that there'd be motivation for Fury to keep him there; he was reinstated as head of SHIELD because of Peter's death, were he to come back his position may appear less secure. Fury has always come across as deceptive and conniving, doing anything he can do to make sure everything is safe and he'd conceivably see Peter as a threat to his ability to maintain that safety if he returned. Never came across like he'd been cold enough to outright kill Peter so this seems in character enough for Fury.

@owie said:

@goonage said:

Is anyone else tired of Miles using his venom sting? It seems like every fight he is in has a formula: Gets thrashed by enemy, uses venom sting, magical KO.

Yeah, I hear you on that.

This has become a real sticking point for me as well. I understand that Miles is still meant to come across as inexperienced but can't lose because he'd F***ing die, leaving his venom sting as far too easy of an out. I don't want the ability gone, but it really needs to be nerfed hard.

Posted by redhood21

ben reilly?! COULD IT BE?! No...I'll just be in my corner...alone...

Posted by Primebonnick

man i'm just waiting for ultimate kitty pryde's reaction that "peter" is still alive.

Posted by Ms-Lola

I am definitely getting the vibe that Kate's parents are going to be some kind of huge reveal. I don't know enough of this Ultimate Universe to guess who, though. Not happy she revealed Miles' secret of being Spider-Man to her sister but then again, I'm thinking this whole parent thing will explain why.

I really enjoyed the fight between Miles and Norman, and having Peter join in was more of an enhancement. There could no doubt Miles needed the help (plus the feeling Peter got his revenge in defeating Norman), but the reaction from people closest to them has me a little put out. Especially because of MJ. I don't know what it is, but I am feeling really bad for her, here.

I'm surprised this review revealed Peter jumping into the fight. I thought that was a nice surprise. I guess being a n00b has its advantages.

Oh, but no on Miles being the better Spider-Man. No, no, no. I want to scratch that off an otherwise fun review, haha.

Posted by AlwaysBeClothing

I'm very conflicted. On one hand I love that this is one of the best threads of continuity for the Ultimate Universe. On the other hand, if they don't handle this with care they might unravel a good portion of what they built. Still, very interested to see where it goes.

Posted by necrus666

Ok, going to throw it out there. Kaine was still alive at the end of the clone saga and was taken by Shield. They have had him for a while now. He could have been cured of his degeneration. Maybe we'll get an ultimate Ben Rielly ( the name of the man responsible for his creation). I hope so the ultimate universe just doesn't do it for me with out a Parker behind the mask.