Worst Retcons EVER...

#1 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

* Spiderman Mephisto Deal. 
* Gwen's affair. 
* Sentry %^*(ing Rogue. 

Anything else? 
Anything top these bull$&%^* retcons?

#2 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

James Howlett or Ben Reilly is the real Spider-Man.

#3 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think ANYTHING will top Spiderman's deal with Mephisto, bravo Quesada.

But just to give my two cents, Parallax.

#4 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio

beyonder retcon

he should have remained away and not ruined

#5 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry (his mere existence retconned the entire MU)
Spidey deal wasnt as bad as above but still bad..
  Gwen's affair did piss me off to no end.

With DC it is even worse, i mean take a seat and hear a vet DCU reader tell you of every minor to universal retcon.
*headache*

everything with the GL is horrible not just from Parallax thing, guardian Origin, Ring Mechanics etc etc...

#6 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio

Parallax, Hal Jordan walks away free; skittles lantern corp.

#7 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
  • ParHallax
  • Gwen and Osborn (THE WORST, even worse than OMD)
  • OMD
Sentry and Rogue wasn't that bad.
#8 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
  • ParHallax
  • OMD
yes it was. but, i lump all of sentry's inconsistencies into one single entity called sentry
#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
  • ParHallax
  • OMD
yes it was. but, i lump all of sentry's inconsistencies into one single entity called sentry
Again, it wasn't. Sentry was awesome before Bendis' decided to Bendis him.
#10 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt

Sentry creation involved a retcon of the MU hence everything about him is bad Bendis just moved him faster toward his grave
#11 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio

Flashpoint...lol
SWamp Thing and John no longer belong in the DCU

#12 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@katanalauncher said:

"Hey Scar! TASTE THE RAINBOW!" 
#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking: That's a very ill-sighted way of looking at. Just because something was a retcon doesn't make it inherently bad. The first Sentry series is one of Marvel's greatest accomplishments, retcon or not.
#14 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt

nope. his creation made much of MU history moot and inconsistent
#15 Posted by dorsk188 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

I've got to give it to One More Day.  It was just so out of character, and against basic concepts of decency and maturity.  Letting a loved one go is the hardest thing people have to do, but they have to do it.  Cheating by making a deal with a malevolent being was just stupifyingly bad, and this doesn't even factor in the fact that it retconned the marriage.  Even if the marriage was intact, it would still have been a horrible story...  That is an insult that will be hard to top. 

Azazel being Nightcrawler's father deserves a mention, I think.

#16 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking: what was sentry's retcon
i mean what was retconned
#17 Posted by Goyo77 (113 posts) - - Show Bio
@higher_evolutionary said:
beyonder retcon  he should have remained away and not ruined
QFT 
#18 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

Going back a while, 

"The real origin of the Flash!" in Flash #167 (SA series) - told us that the lightning bolt which caused Barry Allen to be doused in chemicals was actually sent by some intergalactic dwarf called Mopee. Everyone hated it, but I think it remained in place at least until COIE or Zero Hour or one of them

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102 said:
@katanalauncher said:

"Hey Scar! TASTE THE RAINBOW!" 
LOL
#20 Posted by gavinification (83 posts) - - Show Bio

One more day is probably the worst one to me.

#21 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said: 
  • Gwen and Osborn (THE WORST, even worse than OMD
  Most definitely this.  Such a horrible way to deface a very good character.
#22 Posted by Final Arrow (24383 posts) - - Show Bio

Worst for DC was the Superboy retcon

#23 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@higher_evolutionary said:

@castleking: what was sentry's retcon i mean what was retconned 

his creation and shoe horning him into marvel.

@Final Arrow said:

Worst for DC was the Superboy retcon

i'm not alone

#24 Posted by Final Arrow (24383 posts) - - Show Bio

@castleking: They did'nt think about what else it would effect, I mean doing that has a dramtic effect on Legion and other stories...Just stupid...stupid DC.

#25 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4698 posts) - - Show Bio

Retcons in general. I won't like to see Golden Age Superman and Silver Age Superman help Platinum Age Superman with his super groceries.

#26 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow

we;re talkin about his genetics, right? O_o
#27 Posted by Final Arrow (24383 posts) - - Show Bio

@castleking: LOL no...

#28 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow

which retcon,the reboot?
if so it hasnt even bn implemented how can it be a retcon?
#29 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio

Please keep Grant Morrison out of Marvel. If gonna your kill someone..then kill just him. Don't kill him and then say oh guess what this guy is someone else but there is also another guy just like him getting a cafe latte at StarBucks. 

Oh yeah...Teenage iron man. Did you how hard it was to read the Onslaught saga with him in it?
#30 Edited by Final Arrow (24383 posts) - - Show Bio

@castleking: No I am talking about the orignal where Superman was never Superboy. Superman's history as Superboy being wiped out and how that affected The Legion, so much so that John Byrne even admitted that this was a mistake.

#31 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

wasnt that explained with they erased his memories the times he went to the future and was with them and that the superboy they knew was from one of the alternate time streams?  >_>

#32 Edited by Final Arrow (24383 posts) - - Show Bio

@castleking: Nope John Byrne actually apologised for this later, they had to do that to cover up the error they made in order to bring back some type of explatation and even then it was all over the place and still not 100 percent sure if this right or not. Which makes it a pretty bad retcon

#33 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

not that i dont agree with you but i thought they later tried to smooth it over with a similar explanation i gave.

wonder if Geoff Johns has ever apologized?

#34 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking said:
his creation and shoe horning him into marvel. 
Dude, can't you elaborate ? We're all here waiting for the explanation X-D !
#35 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio
@FortressoftheMoon

Please keep Grant Morrison out of Marvel. If gonna your kill someone..then kill just him. Don't kill him and then say oh guess what this guy is someone else but there is also another guy just like him getting a cafe latte at StarBucks. 

Oh yeah...Teenage iron man. Did you how hard it was to read the Onslaught saga with him in it?
Yes. I freaking hated the Xorneto retcon.
#36 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Feliciano2040

tryin to give me a hard time again, bud?

i dont think that an explanation of the Sentry is really needed for comic readers.
people that read comics should already know how his creation effected MU canon history
#37 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking: I was asking in a humorous manner, you don't have to be a snob with people who have more sense of humor than you do, don't bother yourself, I'll check the wiki.
#38 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith said:
* Spiderman Mephisto Deal. * Gwen's affair. * Sentry %^*(ing Rogue.  Anything else? Anything top these bull$&%^* retcons?
Your list pretty much nails it...
#39 Edited by Matezoide2 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio

Gwen cheating on Parker is much worse than the whole Mephisto crap IMO

i mean,at least One More Day is giving us good Spider-Man comics

Sentry f*cking Rogue for absolutely no reason 

Xorn being Magneto...was that supposed to even make sense?

i dont read much DC,can someone explain the Paralax retcon to me if that`s not much trouble?

#40 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio
@Matezoide said:
Gwen cheating on Parker is much worse than the whole Mephisto crap IMO  i mean,at least One More Day is giving us good Spider-Man comics  Sentry f*cking Rogue for absolutely no reason   Xorn being Magneto...was that supposed to even make sense? i dont read much DC,can someone explain the Paralax retcon to me if that`s not much trouble?
well,  there was a 'reason" for Sentry's #^%&ing rogue... she was a hot, impressionable 16 year old girl, and he was a monster drug addict who apparently thought beating Joker to the pedophilia ward would be a good eulogy. 

By the way, quite frankly, this could not have happened.  Rogue would have stolen enough of his power to make a difference, and she'd have his messed up mind in her mind. 

So we must (in good faith) imagine that somehow, through some cosmic hickup, Rogue was given the memory of Sentry raping her as a little girl when, in fact, it did not happen.  One last, cruel joke by the void I suppose.
#41 Posted by Night Thrasher (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

Aunt May's death in ASM #400

#42 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#43 Posted by PowerHerc (82612 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me, too!

#44 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

DC's indecision about whether or not Superman really is the last Kryptonian

Turning away from the sci-fi elements in Green Lantern and adding way more fantasy elements

Cassandra Cain

#45 Posted by Herokiller12344 (999 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Gwen is a slut that had Osborn give it too her.

2. Sentry is this awesome guy, even though a 4 year old could say otherwise(Sentry's Funeral Eulogies)

3. My favorite in terms of sheer Creator Fanboyism:

"That's right kids, Big T's never really lost, it was just a clone. In fact every appearance he's had except those written by me were just duplicates, crappy ones too!"

#46 Edited by silent_bomber (1588 posts) - - Show Bio

Sins Past for me, I think it reads like bad fanfiction.

@matezoide2 said:
I dont read much DC,can someone explain the Paralax retcon to me if that`s not much trouble?

From what I can remember.

DC decided they needed a new, "90s" Green Lantern, so a story was thrown out where Hal Jordan, previously a pretty well adjusted hero, suddenly decided he was going to kill a whole bunch of his friends and attack the Lantern leaders for flimsy reasons.

He was essentially made into the bad guy and the new guy was now the hero.

The retcon, which happened much later involved an explanation that he had been possessed by a evil monster spirit thingy called Parallax at the time and wasn't actually responsible for any of his previous actions.

I haven't really got a problem with this retcon to be honest, the original story was a complete and utter mess to begin with, with Hal Jordan acting ludicrously out of character. If anything the retcon actually causes the original story to make more sense.

EDIT: wow, didn't notice the extreme bump.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.