Follow

Retcon

Concept » Retcon appears in 455 issues.

The term "Retroactive Continuity" or "Retcon" for short is used in comic books to define a re-write of a current origin or introduction of new information as if it had always been that way.

When you've been out of continuity for awhile

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

Edited By GC8

I was a regular reader of comics in the 1970s and 1980s. I lasted a few years into the 1990s, but eventually, college just got in the way.
    Then unemployment picked up where college left off, life priorities, moving to a place with no comic shops, etc. etc.

So basically I was out of regular continuity on D.C. and Marvel titles for most of two decades.
    I'd still pick up independents, trades, graphic novels, and the odd one-off here and there.

THEN I decided to re-read all the major story arcs in the DC Universe from beginning to end - ALL of them.
    This is mostly because I am a Batman fan and wanted to catch up on EVRYTHING Batman.

So I formed a strategy - first an overview of pre Crisis.
    I would read the best stories from the 40s to the 80s (I'm still in that process), taking time out to make detours (for example, if Batman were to team up with Superman, I'd go back and read Superman comics to get caught up on his end of things) etc.

Meanwhile I would read Crisis on Infinite Earths again - which I did - and then read the entire history of the DC Universe, not in chronological order of how the issues came out - but in terms of when they take place in continuity - this meant re-reading things like Sandman and Swamp Thing that deal with events in the DCU's primordial history. Then reading such stories as Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn and Batman: Year One, etc. Taking the occasional break to read Elseworlds type stories.

Not to mention the independent comics and the Marvel comics (also being read in chronological order).

I began this MAMMOTH journey intending to get caught up on DC continuity several years down the road - and then I would resume happily reading DC comics as they came out.

But now DC has thrown a monkey wrench in my plans - my plans that I'm already a couple years into!
    They're rebooting the friggin' universe again!

Look, everyone knows I hate reboots and retcons - how can you expect a character to grow and develop if his life is a constant stream of 'do-overs'?

But, if we're going to do this - let's do it right. DiDidio, I'm looking in your general direction - do it like the Japanese do it - preplanthe entire run of the series. Pre plan the reboots, so we know when they are coming. Say, Wonder Woman will run for 100 issues and then reboot and then run another 100 issues and then reboot, or even better, every Jan 1 of every new decade, the titles will reboot - so there will NOT be a reboot in some odd number year - Green Lantern will have an entire decade of stories before there will be a reboot.

That way fans can say I like reading the 2010s Green Lantern, the 1990s Green Arrow, and the 2020s Hawkman.

Seriously, all I'm asking is for an end to endless reboots in the middle of things - this is seriously worse than all the crossover events that soured me on Marvel in the early 90s.

Preplan your reboots so we don't all feel like we are driving down a highway and then there's a sudden dead end.

Krakoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 215

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Krakoa

BRILLIANT!

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GC8
    @Krakoa: Thank you.
    GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GC8
    @Renchamp: DC managed to go for 50 years without a single reboot, and then - BAM - every few years a reboot. So yeah, I don't know why they can't just plan the reboots in advance - and like you said you could compare what the writers/characters were like in different eras.
    Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Assuming that reboots are inevitable, this is an excellent idea. I don't think the people in charge have the foresight for this though.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

This would all be relevant if it was a reboot...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.