no_name_'s Reed Gunther #1 - Reed Gunther & the Steak Snacking Snake! review

A Cowboy, His Bear, And Lots of Fun!

A cowboy named Reed, a bear named Sterling, and a whole lot of silliness.

The Good

Is it me, or is Image Comics in the habit of releasing some pretty hilarious comics lately? On the heels of Axe Cop is Reed Gunther, an all ages book by Shane and Chris Houghton about a cowboy named Reed, a bear named Sterling and their nonsensical adventures. The first issue opens introducing both Reed and Sterling who want nothing more than to help Starla, a cattle rancher, out of a sticky situation. Well, at least that's what Reed wants to do.

I admit, I laughed out loud when I read this- and that's really a good thing. The manner in which the reader is introduced to these characters is perfect- as is the pacing of this first issue. The art is cartoony- but compliments the dialogue of the story perfectly. The great thing about the first issue of Reed Gunther is that even though the book is geared for anyone of any age, there are certainly some jokes targeted at an older audience- which means there is something for everyone.

The Bad

You definitely get an introduction to the characters in this first issue, as well as the types of challenges they are likely to face in the future- but the story moves a little bit slow. Sure it's an introductory issue, and there is a lot of set-up, but mid story the plot slows down.

Your inner child will love this comic, and so will your favorite kid. If you're looking for something cute and silly that will surely get you to laugh out loud,then I highly recommend you check out this issue.

Other reviews for Reed Gunther #1 - Reed Gunther & the Steak Snacking Snake!