Follow

Red Sonja

Character » Red Sonja appears in 1060 issues.

Known as the "She-Devil with a Sword," Red Sonja is the greatest swordswoman of the Hyborean Age and more than a match for any man in combat. First appearing in Marvel Comics in 1973, Red Sonja has become the archetypal example of the strikingly beautiful warrior woman clad in revealing bikini-like armor.

Red Sonja #80 and #81?

Celineness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I don't give a hoot about the latest series, but I'd like to know what's going on with the (presumably) final two issues of the current series.

Issues 76-79 all seemed to appear in a rush before the new series #1 appeared. At my local stores, they appeared on a weekly basis, ending with issue #79 - which is part 4 of 6 within the "Dracula arc" that followed the crossover where Sonja becomes a vampire.

So...does anyone know when #80 and #81 are coming out? The Dynamite site doesn't even list #81, and shows that #80 was "published" back in June but has no fixed release date. There's not even a preview or cover image for #81 on the internet and no one seems to be taking preorders.

Any news from other fans would be appreciated. I'm already annoyed at the stupid reboot of the title so if the new series scheduling has somehow caused a problem to the earlier incarnation then that's going to make me even more mad :P

Celineness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously, no one knows?

O.O

jim69bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By jim69bob

I would like to know as well. I think they shortened the arc to finish the story with #80 though, but I have yet to see it released.

jim69bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, according to this #80 is coming out next Wednesday, 21 August:

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/newreleases/next-week

Celineness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is good news, thank you for pointing it out :)

Now we just need to see whether poor second-gen Sonja ends her life as a vampire or gets redeemed somehow. I feel this is quite important, since the new Sonja is a reboot of the original who died some time ago in the current run that's coming to an end, the Sonja of issue #79 is someone who we'll likely never see or hear from again after issue #81 of this series.

jim69bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to the link below it may indeed go to #81 since it mentions the story is part 5 of 6 (I could've sworn I read somewhere that it was getting shortened to five parts though ... I guess we'll find out after reading the issue).

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/978?articleID=138142

Celineness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh. Well, not sure how to feel about that...

So, the story was indeed compressed into a bumper issue #80, and there won't be an issue #81. Things didn't go down the way I expected, and I'm now unsure about whether the reboot Sonja is a new version of the original, or if she's simply a continuation type reboot of the reincarnated Sonja. I was actually expecting second gen Sonja's story to end badly, necessitating the re-launch, but oh well.

This kinda makes the "reboot" just a simple "look it's issue 1!" cash grab. There's no reason why the new #1 couldn't have just followed on as issue #81 instead.

At least the old arc got a decent ending :)

jim69bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, #80 was the last issue for Volume 4. On to Volume 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.