ECCC 13: Gail Simone to Write New RED SONJA Ongoing Series

  • 55 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by G-Man (30645 posts) - - Show Bio

Dynamite Entertainment made a big announcement today at Emerald City Comicon. Gail Simone will be the writer on a brand new RED SONJA series with a new #1 issue launching in July.

Walter Geovani will join Simone as the interior artist. The covers will be drawn by some of the top female artists in the comic industry. Dynamite also announced Nicola Scott, Colleen Doran, Jenny Frison, Stephanie Buscema and Fiona Staples as cover artists. More high profile female cover artists will still be announced.

Cover by Nicola Scott

Fans attending Emerald City Comicon are in for a treat. Limited edition prints featuring art by Nicola Scott will be given away. The premium prints will be signed by Simone.

Here is what Simone had to say about the character:

It's like this...even most of the best female heroines when I was a kid were pretty polite. What I love about Sonja is that she isn't polite, she says what she means and if you give her any lip about it, hello, sword in the gut. She's smart, she has a heart, she has some compassion. But when it's go time, she's a hellraiser, a mad general, she's a sword edge virtuosa, she's death on wheels. She is the woman you never want to mess with. I can relate, Sonja. No offense to all her guy writers, but THIS Red Sonja is about sex and swords! It's everything you love about Red Sonja, except with more monsters getting stabbed in the eye.
== TEASER ==

Here's a look at more of the upcoming covers:

RED SONJA #2 by Nicola Scott
Cover by Colleen Doran
Cover by Fiona Staples

Great news indeed!

Staff Online
#1 Edited by jesusdisciple001 (545 posts) - - Show Bio

still wish she got better armor

#2 Posted by NightFang (9887 posts) - - Show Bio

@jesusdisciple001 said:

still wish she got better

Sonja clothes or Simone's writing?

#3 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

Art looks off in the second and bottom pics.

#4 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#5 Posted by Falconer (150 posts) - - Show Bio

If only this meant that she was leaving Batgirl. *sigh*

#6 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice

#7 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (545 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

still wish she got better

Sonja clothes or Simone's writing?

sonja's "armor"

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32745 posts) - - Show Bio

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@NightFang said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

still wish she got better

Sonja clothes or Simone's writing?

sonja's "armor"

is as about as good as Conan's loin cloth

#9 Posted by yo_yo_fun (641 posts) - - Show Bio

I am definitely interested!

#10 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8884 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not a big Red Sonja fan, but glad that fans are going to getting a great writer on the series like Gail

#11 Edited by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Simone is the right writer for Red Sonja.

And frankly, this quote right here:

No offense to all her guy writers, but THIS Red Sonja is about sex and swords!

is the number one reason why. Simone seems to run on arrogance and hubris; she honestly believes she's God's gift to comic writing.

#12 Posted by longbowhunter (6770 posts) - - Show Bio

There must be some die hard Red Sonja fans out there. Dynamite has been consistently putting this title out for years. Really dig the Fiona Staples cover.

Online
#13 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

Gail Simone + a badass redhead? Looks like I'll be adding this to my pull.

#14 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (545 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@NightFang said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

still wish she got better

Sonja clothes or Simone's writing?

sonja's "armor"

is as about as good as Conan's loin cloth

exactly both need a change up

#15 Posted by millennium (200 posts) - - Show Bio

so dynamite is going to have two series called red sonja or are they rebooting the one they have and calling it new

#16 Edited by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@NightFang said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

still wish she got better

Sonja clothes or Simone's writing?

sonja's "armor"

is as about as good as Conan's loin cloth

exactly both need a change up

Not really. The Conan and Sonja books, like John Carter, Vampirella, and similar properties, are throw backs to another time in comic history. They have more in common with Heavy Metal magazine's heyday than the spandex crowd. So there's no need to change them at all to appease the spandex fans.

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32745 posts) - - Show Bio

@shackle said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@NightFang said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

still wish she got better

Sonja clothes or Simone's writing?

sonja's "armor"

is as about as good as Conan's loin cloth

exactly both need a change up

Not really. The Conan and Sonja books, like John Carter, Vampirella, and similar properties, are throw backs to another time in comic history. They have more in common with Heavy Metal magazine's heyday than the spandex crowd. So there's no need to change them at all to appease the spandex fans.

I am in noway a "spandex fan"

#18 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (545 posts) - - Show Bio

@shackle said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@NightFang said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

still wish she got better

Sonja clothes or Simone's writing?

sonja's "armor"

is as about as good as Conan's loin cloth

exactly both need a change up

Not really. The Conan and Sonja books, like John Carter, Vampirella, and similar properties, are throw backs to another time in comic history. They have more in common with Heavy Metal magazine's heyday than the spandex crowd. So there's no need to change them at all to appease the spandex fans.

not spandex but more armor

#19 Posted by Samimista (20597 posts) - - Show Bio

Never read Red Sonja but will now with Gail going to write it.

#20 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds interesting. I'm a complete Red Sonja nub so this might be worth it to me to check out this title and character out.

#21 Posted by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: I wasn't replying to you.

#22 Posted by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

@jesusdisciple001: The characters don't have to wear more armor to appease you, either. It's not about "practicality," it's about a certain art style.

#23 Posted by kennybaese (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

If only Fiona Staples or Nicola Scott were drawing this book I'd be way more interested in it. As it is, even as a Gail Simone fan, I really don't care about Red Sonia. At all.

#24 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2219 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to get this, gobble up everything Simone writes, but I just can't seem to get behind Red Sonja, her chainmail bikini is just so dumb. It'll probably be good though...

#25 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a gripe with feminists, so imagine my unsurprised reaction that Sonja's getting yet another title. Fans will like it, of course, but I'd rather have my heroes drawn and written by the proven badasses in Marvel and DC (plus Dynamite, but Sonja's Dynamite, so I can't really use them as an example.)

#26 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (545 posts) - - Show Bio

@shackle said:

@jesusdisciple001: The characters don't have to wear more armor to appease you, either. It's not about "practicality," it's about a certain art style.

even though they would be better

#27 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

covers are great but pass . No gail for me,

#28 Posted by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@shackle said:

@jesusdisciple001: The characters don't have to wear more armor to appease you, either. It's not about "practicality," it's about a certain art style.

even though they would be better

In your opinion? Maybe. Thankfully you don't speak for everyone.

#29 Posted by Hastny (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually gonna buy a Red Sonja book!

#30 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe gail will be nicer to males since shes get to kill them in a her new book lol lol.

#31 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (545 posts) - - Show Bio

@shackle said:

@jesusdisciple001 said:

@shackle said:

@jesusdisciple001: The characters don't have to wear more armor to appease you, either. It's not about "practicality," it's about a certain art style.

even though they would be better

In your opinion? Maybe. Thankfully you don't speak for everyone.

yeah thankfully,but it still isn't nice and is sorta fan service

#32 Edited by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

@jesusdisciple001: "Isn't nice"? What does that mean? Doesn't meet your puritanical standards? And "fan service"? Maybe. But that's not important. Like I said, these books are throw backs to a genre of books that might offend your delicate sensibilities. Bikinis, gratuitous gore, and risque behavior are just as vital to the genre as sharp weapons are to horror films, spurting blood is to Tarantino films, and rainbows are to My Little Ponies. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant; it's vital to the genre. Feel free to chose another genre if this one offends you, but don't try to change the genre to suit your sensibilities. It's not for you to demand that change, nor for the genre to bend to meet your demands.

#33 Posted by SlickyMike88 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

If Fioana Staples did do the actually art for the series , I would be so interested in reading this ^^

#34 Posted by ARMIV2 (8283 posts) - - Show Bio

That Fiona Staples cover is freakin' gorgeous.

#35 Posted by dondave (34452 posts) - - Show Bio

Picking This up

#36 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ellie_Knightfall said:

Gail Simone + a badass redhead? Looks like I'll be adding this to my pull.

OMG Sonja is going to be an unlikable victim too

that sucks

#37 Posted by Owie (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

The One Who Staples!

#38 Posted by nj06 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

Nicola Scott is a great artist but I don't like the way she draws the faces on women. They always seem off to me, especially the way she draws their noses.

#39 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2193 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been thinking about venturing into Red Sonja, this gives me the perfect opportunity to jump in.

#40 Posted by Perfect 10 (976 posts) - - Show Bio

well guess i got my replacement for batman and robin.

dropped the last/current series at issue 60 (fun ride but didnt really get the purpose of the book other then some fun adventures here and there) but for gail i'd give anything a second shot

#41 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio
@SlickyMike88 said:

If Fioana Staples did do the actually art for the series , I would be so interested in reading this ^^

This... and that...

@ARMIV2 said:

That Fiona Staples cover is freakin' gorgeous.

@Owie said:

The One Who Staples!

 
Red Sonja's facial expression is awesome. Fiona's art rocks. 
Does she draw another ongoing besides Saga? She really needs to do another series...
#42 Posted by charlieboy (7153 posts) - - Show Bio

Gail is an amazing writer. I will definitely check this out.

#43 Posted by bloggerboy (537 posts) - - Show Bio

Nicola Scott <3

#44 Posted by Billy Batson (57765 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe said:

Red Sonja's facial expression is awesome. Fiona's art rocks. Does she draw another ongoing besides Saga? She really needs to do another series...

Nah, she doesn't. But I doubt she could when she has to take pauses for Saga.
BB

#45 Posted by UltraBiel (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for this book!

Guys, Red SOnja is a great character, I know the chainmail bikini stuff is ridiculous and impossible, but past that she is a great character!

#46 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

I trust Gail to make Red Sonja in to something of more value. And thank GOD female artists are drawing her. Bye bye objectification, hello sexual weaponary

#47 Posted by Owie (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe said:

@Owie said:

The One Who Staples!

Red Sonja's facial expression is awesome. Fiona's art rocks. Does she draw another ongoing besides Saga? She really needs to do another series...

She's awesome. Here's the list of all her work. It doesn't look like there's any long runs (even in her second-longest run, DV*, she just does the covers), but still I didn't realize she had done so much before, I was under the impression that Saga was just about her first professional work. I'm going to have to start looking for all her old stuff now.

#48 Posted by iaconpoint (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

Simone is the top three most overrated writers in comics today. And she's at number 6 as well.

#49 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio
@Owie said:

@DonFelipe said:

@Owie said:

The One Who Staples!

Red Sonja's facial expression is awesome. Fiona's art rocks. Does she draw another ongoing besides Saga? She really needs to do another series...

She's awesome. Here's the list of all her work. It doesn't look like there's any long runs (even in her second-longest run, DV*, she just does the covers), but still I didn't realize she had done so much before, I was under the impression that Saga was just about her first professional work. I'm going to have to start looking for all her old stuff now.

Yes, for most of the listed comics and issues she just did the covers. The only titles for which she did the interior art are North 40, Mystery Society, and one issue of Jonah Hex. I should really get and check out the trades ( there is one for Mystery Society, too).
#50 Posted by BatWatch (2364 posts) - - Show Bio

Whaaat! Miss female empowerment/treat heroines with respect is writing miss "Look at my boobs and skin!" Unless Simone's first arc involves Sonja's quest for a decent outfit, then my respect for Simone has fallen quite a bit.

@queenfrost_ said:

I trust Gail to make Red Sonja in to something of more value. And thank GOD female artists are drawing her. Bye bye objectification, hello sexual weaponary

And the difference would be?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.