Off My Mind: The Red Skull Tears the Marvel Universe Apart

Posted by G-Man (37683 posts) - - Show Bio
The Red Skull is one of the most evil villains in comics. Coming in April, a new comic book event, Fear Itself, hits the Marvel Universe. Before this event begins, we will see a prologue dealing with the Red Skull in his World War II days.  

After the Red Skull orchestrated his plan where it appeared Captain America was killed, Cap's body was actually traveling though time and space. He would then recall Captain America's body and take over his body. In the end, it looked as if the Red Skull was dead. 

The Red Skull's daughter, Sin, is now determined to avenge her father and also plans on outdoing him in an effort to prove that she wasn't an inferior offspring simply because she was female. Being in possession of all the Red Skull's secrets and plans, she will discover his most dangerous World War II mission that he risked everything for. This past mission will be the key in tearing the Marvel Universe apart in Fear Itself

What could have the Red Skull been involved in that could have such a huge effect on everything today? 
 == TEASER == 
The first thing that comes to mind is the Cosmic Cube (you can read our Beginner's Guide to the Cosmic Cube for more information). The Red Skull's frequently had his sights set on this incredibly powerful, reality altering weapon. The idea that the Red Skull could have planted the seeds of having yet another cube stashed away decades ago and his crazy daughter getting her hands on it is a scary thought. Is this scary enough to launch the massive Fear Itself event?  

The Red Skull's history with the Cube and the recent image of the Cube from the upcoming Captain America movie makes it seem as if this could be more than just a mere coincidence. But I don't think this big dangerous mission he went on back during WWII involves a Cosmic Cube. The Red Skull's used the Cube too many times with often minimal repercussions that I can't see this as being the starter to Marvel's game-changing event.

It has to be something else. The Red Skull is involved as is Captain America, Namor and the Invaders. It has to be something that will change everything, an expression we've heard many times recently. Could it have something to do with the creation of Captain America and Project: Rebirth? Probably not, that wouldn't affect the entire Marvel Universe. What about the creation of the Avengers? I feel like this will somehow be politically motivated. Maybe it's the reference to FDR's speech about there not being anything to fear but fear itself but my gut tells me it there's a connection. What could be more fearful to Marvel heroes than seeing the government and democracy become shattered. If the American people lose their faith in everything, our way of life gets thrown out the window. 

This promo looks like it could be a result of something the Red Skull put in motion.
If the Red Skull went on a mission back during WWII, I see it as somehow infiltrating the government and planting a final contingency plan that could destroy everything about the United States. How come he hasn't used it before? Pride. If this were a final plan, the Red Skull would never think he'd have to use it, no matter how many times he's been defeated by Captain America and others. He would think that he'll always bounce back and will someday succeed in destroying everything he despises. This plan of his could be an extreme one that wouldn't give him the satisfaction of physically having a hand in the destruction. During the Fear Itself press conference, Tom Brevoort said, " There is a concealed act at the heart of the Marvel Universe that once revealed will change everything." 

There's also the fact that the "God of Fear" is involved. It's been mentioned that this will be a different God of Fear from Phobos, who will also be in the event. If we're looking at a different God of Fear and it's not the Olympian version, perhaps it will be an Asgardian version. In the Captain America clip seen at last year's San Diego Comic Con, there was mention of Odin's weapon. Perhaps this dangerous mission Red Skull went on dealt with the Asgardian God of Fear. Maybe he managed to lock it away somewhere for his final contingency plan and this is what Sin will discover. As with the Cosmic Cube, it makes perfect sense that Marvel would try to bring ideas that will pop up in the movies to the forefront of our comics. Now that I think about it, this feels more like what we could expect from this event. 

Update 

I started thinking more about the Asgardian angle the likely direction that Marvel would try to make more of a connection between the movies and comics. Who is the God of Fear in Asgard? 

I vaguely recalled the character known as Dark Man from a past issue of Thor, issue #323 in fact. This is apparently the God of Fear for Asgard, or at least one of them. He only had one appearance and it was early in Thor's life, right after he obtained Mjolnir. He doesn't look too scary to me but perhaps his lack of appearance over the years could indicate that the Red Skull somehow managed to capture him in order to unleash him upon the world later.
#1 Posted by hydro 300 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

good article

#2 Posted by SupremoMaximo (209 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't read a lot of Capt America as a kid.  But the ones I did read, it seemed the Red Skull went to the Cobra Commander School of Leadership.

#3 Posted by ImBatshitCrazy (62 posts) - - Show Bio

"In the Captain America clip seen at last year's San Diego Comic Con, there was mention of Odin's weapon. "     

That spear which was last seen being taken away by Paladin? Intriguing...

#4 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1855 posts) - - Show Bio

that first pic is just flat out disturbing.

#5 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

See when I think of the Cosmic Cube, Red Skull, Captain America and the Invaders and hear 'God of Fear' I can't help but think of D'spayre which was Aarkus the golden age Vision.
#6 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Skull, he has that power and control to do it. Well... if has a pink skull.... he would be less as threatening to the marvel universe.

#7 Posted by War Killer (20374 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceIMC said:
" See when I think of the Cosmic Cube, Red Skull, Captain America and the Invaders and hear 'God of Fear' I can't help but think of D'spayre which was Aarkus the golden age Vision. "
But he was turned into a good guy after Avengers/Invaders.
#8 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
" @PrinceIMC said:
" See when I think of the Cosmic Cube, Red Skull, Captain America and the Invaders and hear 'God of Fear' I can't help but think of D'spayre which was Aarkus the golden age Vision. "
But he was turned into a good guy after Avengers/Invaders. "

He was, but there's always the possibility that he could come back. Or that the change back wasn't complete or something.
#9 Posted by G-Man (37683 posts) - - Show Bio

Update 

I did a little digging. There is/was an Asgardian God of Fear but he doesn't look too scary to me. More information in the original post.
#10 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Great article can't wait for Fear Itself

#11 Posted by weapon154 (339 posts) - - Show Bio

No...Impossible... the Red Skull's dead!!

#12 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crimson Eagle said:
" that first pic is just flat out disturbing. "
#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

This event actually looks interesting. Who's writing it?
#14 Posted by G-Man (37683 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (15080 posts) - - Show Bio

Fear Itself wil be very interesting.I can't wait.

#16 Posted by leokearon (1851 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting, I was thinking with the Serpent motif of Fear Itself could it be Set(h) the Serpent God?
#17 Posted by G-Man (37683 posts) - - Show Bio
@leokearon: I keep thinking about a serpent as well but I can't recall one directly involved with Asgard. Maybe I should just let go of the Asgard angle?
#18 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to find out!!

#19 Posted by cmaprice (812 posts) - - Show Bio

Stephen Colbert will be revealed as the big bad of this arc.

Or Sarah Palin. Could be Sarah Palin.

#20 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@weapon154 said:
" No...Impossible... the Red Skull's dead!! "
He died like three times already, maybe four. How can you truly be sure?
#21 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

This picture came to mind, btw.

#22 Edited by MannyMAR (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Now, I just if the Black Panther aka the "Man without fear" mentioned on that timeline in Avengers #5, is going to take out Red Skull.

#23 Posted by thecheckeredman (398 posts) - - Show Bio
@SupremoMaximo said:
" I didn't read a lot of Capt America as a kid.  But the ones I did read, it seemed the Red Skull went to the Cobra Commander School of Leadership. "
tee hee 
#24 Posted by Soldier zero (250 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102 said:
" @weapon154 said:
" No...Impossible... the Red Skull's dead!! "
He died like three times already, maybe four. How can you truly be sure? "
Apparetly one of skull unexplained abilities is to survive as long as something he hates live. He's pretty much hatred incarnated
#25 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Well considering Red Skull was already the president of the united states and was behind everything that drove Cap away from being Captain America I actually really doubt this big plan has anything to do with bringing down the US. I am interested to see what is really going on with this Fear Itself story, but I am not sure I am interested enough to give Marvel Earth another chance to wow me with an event.

#26 Posted by jayskee (1908 posts) - - Show Bio

daredevil made be involved in fear itself also
#27 Posted by Walker696 (984 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to admit the Red Skull angle makes me way more interested in this now, especially with with Chaos War going on, I mean Nightmare was killed by Mikaboshi(or whatever his name is) and the gods are about to take him down so that's two down. Phobos died but at the same time he had to die in a fight to get the fully extent of his powers so I still feel he may play a role in this. But an Asgard element would be interesting.

#28 Posted by AskaniSon295 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

would love to see them elevate Red Skull the way they did Osborn. Think Red Skull would also be a perfect Villian for the X-men, 'specially when they have Magneto in their ranks.

#29 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, still gon' to read this on wiki :P...sick of Marvel's "events"

#30 Posted by DKing_CiCADA (340 posts) - - Show Bio
@weapon154:  No one ever really dies in comics
#31 Posted by DKing_CiCADA (340 posts) - - Show Bio

Another event that will "Change the Marvel Universe"  
-quoting from a friend but still feel the same way

#32 Posted by G-Man (37683 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually looking forward to this "event." At least the ones we've had lately have been self-contained for the most part. And they did claim that you could just read the main series here and get the whole story. We'll see.

#33 Posted by Mercy_ (92995 posts) - - Show Bio

Fix

#34 Posted by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
"

Update 

I did a little digging. There is/was an Asgardian God of Fear but he doesn't look too scary to me. More information in the original post. "

I don't think he was technically intended to be a God of Fear (Asgardian) but a Fear Lord, mainly because in the real life there was none in the mythology.  

I believe the promo art of the guy with snakes is supposed to be this character? New character, new because Odin supposedly killed all his worshippers and removed any trace of his existence. The Dark Man, as much as I love him, doesn't really seem to fit?!?!
#35 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally, Red Skull kickin' ass through the Marvel U!
All we needed was a Captain America to force cross-media-advertising! :/

Anway, he better end up a real threat, since he was so dangerous in Marvel's WW2.

#36 Posted by atomicrobo5 (69 posts) - - Show Bio

I find myself wanting to know if this is some how going to be part of bringing Phobos back from the dead.  Or if he will at least be showing up.  I like the cosmic cube angle because Sin is off her rocker and would possibly be even more dangerous than her father with such a tool.  I also am tempted to think this may have something to do with events taking place in the Avengers.  Could this be a way to reintroduce the Infinity Gauntlet in such a way as to not seem like a rehash of past Infinity Gauntlet stories?

#37 Posted by G-Man (37683 posts) - - Show Bio
@atomicrobo5: Phobos will be returning but so will some other God of Fear. 
#38 Posted by GRIM_DADDY (32 posts) - - Show Bio

How did the red skull get a body,and why is onslaught the one he gets? I'm not a big marvel fan any more,but wow...really. Marvel is so marvel now!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.