Hugo Weaving up for Red Skull

#1 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
 well I am well versed in political roles!
Much as I am not a Captain America fan I was extremely pleased to hear that Hugo Weaving of Matrix, Lord of the Rings and V for Vendetta fame is up for the role of Captain Americas Arch Nemesis Red Skull. According to Empire Magazine: 

The report says it’s not a locked deal yet, but it’s close and we’d imagine Johnson would be eager to work with Weaving again. After all, the actor was one of the best things about The Wolfman.

James White Empire Magazine
Weaving in my opinion is one of Hollywoods strongest character actors, he has an amazing presence on screen as well as a wonderful ability to be dark and foreboding when he needs, so from what I have read of Red Skull it could work. Both his roles as Mr Smith and V brought forth a beautiful evil that was almost poetic, but would this transfer well too the role of the dark Nazi with a passion for destroying all that is Peace Hope and the American way? 

what do you guys think? have they made the right choice?
#2 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't matter what part he plays, he's brilliant.

#3 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Precise: I know right? He has such amazing presence! he made me fall in love with a masked man for gods sake!
#4 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: He acted in such a way that you could tell what his facial expression would be without actually seeing it. Now that's talent =)
#5 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Precise: He is up there with Gary Oldman in my books, and that is saying A LOT! 
#6 Posted by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I wouldn't personally like to associate myself with a guy like Red Skull but Hugo Weaving is a fantastically talented actor.

#7 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dane: Hey, if the paycheck is big enough xP
#8 Posted by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio
@Precise said:
" @Dane: Hey, if the paycheck is big enough xP "
Unlike one Benjamin Affleck, I know when I'm not good enough for something. I couldn't do Red Skull justice and I wouldn't try.
#9 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dane: meow! but are we talking about Daredevil? cause yeah then I wholeheartedly agree
#10 Posted by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead. said:
" @Dane: meow! but are we talking about Daredevil? cause yeah then I wholeheartedly agree "
Sure are. I mean I can't knock the guy he said he grew up with DD comics and if we were professional actors we wouldn't have turned it down either. I just wasn't feeling him as Matt Murdock though.
#11 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dane: I am not a big fan, but the film was just badly done, I think if he had a stronger script and direction it may have gone another way altogether. 
#12 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow he would be a great choice, as MR knows im a big fan of his work , as he never seems to take a role that he can't do. He never steals the lime light but you know the man can act, If he did become red Skull I would purely go to see if he is as good as he has shown himself to be. Fingers crossed!!! 

As for Ben Affelck I hope he dies for what he did to mat Murdock, dies a sweet and painful death.

#13 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow: Knew you would be pleased about the news babe :)
#14 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
" @Final Arrow: Knew you would be pleased about the news babe :) "
Yeah it's awesome news, When you come to think of it he fits pretty well to the role.
#15 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow: Its a tough role for any actor, playing a hateful Nazi or even Commi if you go later Red Skull is not always a fan attracter, but Hugo was never one for that, look at his earlier stuff in Australia. He was never one for the "safe" role
#16 Posted by Delon (113 posts) - - Show Bio
@Precise said:
" Doesn't matter what part he plays, he's brilliant. "
Agreed

I love Hugo, and his role in V for Vendetta totally changed my view on him. He went from the cool actor to the BADASS actor he is today
#17 Posted by The Hottness (4226 posts) - - Show Bio

this would be so awesome! Hugo can act
#18 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Hottness: lol yes yes he can 

looks like I am not the only one who saw this news!
#19 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is probably the best casting choice for a villian I've heard in a long time.

*gets on his knees to pray* I know I am not a praying man... but if you can see it in your heart to make this happen Superman that would be great.

PS: You get a thumps up if you get the reference.

#20 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`: Big Bang Theory!?
#21 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
" I think this is probably the best casting choice for a villian I've heard in a long time.  *gets on his knees to pray* I know I am not a praying man... but if you can see it in your heart to make this happen Superman that would be great.  PS: You get a thumps up if you get the reference. "
I was trying to think of someone else who could fit the role and play it well, but in all honesty I think Hugo is the right man for the job and much like you im praying casting see that to!
#22 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean the guys played The main Agent (Smith) in the Matrix, V, an Elf, Detective Abilene and now this, not to mention the countless roles he played before the big screen and yet still never lost that edge that he has, I honestly will be over the moon for the Cap film if this happens and may be even more hyped about seeing it then any other comic movie, but I will have to wait and see.

#23 Posted by Nev-man (24 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`:  The Simpsons!!
#24 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nev-man said:
" @Nova`Prime`:  The Simpsons!! "
The man gets a prize XD
#25 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow: dammit could have sworn that was a big bang theory quote -__- 
#26 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
" @Final Arrow: dammit could have sworn that was a big bang theory quote -__-  "
Nope but give it time XD
#27 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

I could not think of a better actor to play Red Skull, and that's partly because Weaving is just so damn good at everything I have seen him do. He made V For Vendetta, for me.

I hope that if this is really the case then he pulls off a performance equal to that of Heath Ledger!

#28 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sparda: that is a huge call! Ledger was a much loved character, Weaving has to deal with much hate around his character! lol
#29 Posted by moviegeek17 (1478 posts) - - Show Bio

Great call marvel! i love this choice he is a really good actor and will make a great red skull.. i hope that he actually gets the part.

#30 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nev-man: You are correct sir.. good job.
 Your prize.

@.Mistress Redhead.: I haven't seen every episode, but I am sure it was said.. if not I wouldn't put it past Sheldon.

#31 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`: my prize sucks -_- lol
#32 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

This would be awesome, but would also make the casting of Captain America even less exciting than it already is. I can't think of anyone rumored to play Cap who is anywhere near Weaving's level. Playing opposite him is going to be a pretty daunting task for whoever lands the role.

#33 Posted by moviegeek17 (1478 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg: good point, but knowing marvel thye'll probably pick someone who we didnt even expect who'll blow our minds away. (robert downey jr anyone?)
#34 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@moviegeek17 said:

" @Korg: good point, but knowing marvel thye'll probably pick someone who we didnt even expect who'll blow our minds away. (robert downey jr anyone?) "

I expected that one, actually. I have said for years that Downey basically is Tony Stark anyway.
#35 Posted by moviegeek17 (1478 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg: good call man. i had no clue personally. As long as it wasn't tom cruise or nick cage i was fine with whoever got casted as him. But man did downey hit a home run with that performance.
#36 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: Well that's not your thumps up anyway... that just was were comicvine put it :P

I was gonna offer cookies.. but felt that was unfair to get someone's hopes up for cookies.
#37 Posted by King Saturn (224142 posts) - - Show Bio
Hugo Weaving is Da Junk... dude is an amazing actor...
#38 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

YESSS!!!
#39 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`: lol cookies are always good
#40 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio

boo-yah get a brit in there... Plus Weaving is awesome, and his middle name is Wallace :D

he also has a great voice

#41 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Constantine: he is a South African... 
#42 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio
" @Constantine: he is a South African...  "
he was born in nigeria of English parentage and spent a majority growing up in England and Australia
#43 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Constantine said:
" @.Mistress Redhead. said:
" @Constantine: he is a South African...  "
he was born in nigeria of English parentage and spent a majority growing up in England and Australia "
oh my god we shall have to share him then! ;p 
#44 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah xP

Hugo does have an awesome voice, after all he is Megatron, I'm just unsure whether they'll be able to make red skull look good

#45 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Constantine: I know I was thinking that, its such a distorted character... but then you could say the same for Sinestro 
#46 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4795 posts) - - Show Bio

as long as we can see a REd Skull and not his face painted red

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.