No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By No_Name_

The Good

This issue opens up with a bang, and the momentum is consistent throughout. If you are looking for an action-filled comic with a ton of battle scenes, you need to pick up this comic. I think the important thing to note is that these fights aren't happening for no reason; there's an explanation for why the hardest hitting Avengers are after Betty Ross and why she's fighting back in the first place. Not only is there a reason for the countless battle scenes in this issue, but it's a great reason. Parker is creating a really interesting story and delivered a superb issue full of suspense, excitement and adventure. It's a great example of how awesome a Hulk comic can be.

We get a great look at Betty Ross's ideologies in this issue, as well as an explanation for just how much control she has over her own powers. I think one of the first scenes really explains that her morals are still intact, and that's important to note. She's got some control over her abilities -- some -- and she does feel remorse for her actions, at least right now. Her path of destruction isn't lost on her and I think that's a big reason why she doesn't go red and stay red the entire issue.

The art is just beautiful. I love the way that Carlo Pagulayan and Wellinton Alves depict Betty in action. She's still beautiful, but she is super fierce. I think it's important to note that she's been illustrated in a way where she looks strong and menacing, but still drawn to look beautiful. It's interesting the way they walked the line between strength and beauty really eloquently. I also loved the attention to detail in the way the character would move during a fight, as well as her expressions and the expressions of the other heroes.

This issue is really well written, well illustrated good old-fashioned fight between heroes with clashing perspectives on the differences between right and wrong. The banter between Machine Man and Red She-Hulk is great. I enjoyed the way Parker used Machine Man to describe what was going on -- essentially using his character to narrate the scenes. It felt a lot like a thriller in that way, and it was interesting to see these two characters interact. Additionally, there's some fantastic dialogue between Red She-Hulk and members of the Avengers -- Iron Man in particular.

The Bad

I think Betty's interaction with Eleanor is pretty important to the overall arc -- it essentially explains why she is acting the way she is and I think that for a new reader, this scene was somewhat unclear. We don't get a very good idea as to why she is doing what she's doing and the relationship between her actions and Eleanor. I think Parker should have explained that further considering there are people that might be starting this series because it's been renamed and it's only the second issue in a four-issue arc.

The Verdict

This is a pretty good place to start reading this series if you haven't been keeping up. If you want to read some Red She-Hulk this is a good introduction because you get a lot of action (which you should expect from a Hulk book), but you also get a taste of who Betty Ross is and what she stands for. What lengths will she go to for what she believes? All of this is addressed here and I think that's important to recognize. It's a great example of how a fun action comic can also have some depth. The art is superb and the appearances of some of the Avengers doesn't hurt, either. I am definitely looking forward to the next issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.