Review: Red Robin #12

Posted by Zack Freeman (1 posts) - - Show Bio
Red Robin has more than a few aces up his sleeve for his final fight against Ra's al Ghul.

THE GOOD 
More than anything, this issue is to be appreciated as a character-centered story. All the action, storytelling, plot devices, fights, quips, scene transitions... all of it extends from this believable depiction of Tim Drake. I really like how Yost writes him as something of a legend-in-progress. He's passed his training, for sure, but he's still figuring things out for himself. He's up to the level that he can foil al Ghul's scheme (with the kind of help from his friends that Bruce Wayne can't call on), but he's firmly aware of his limitations and how he really can't take on the Demon on in a fight. Yost gets it right in the big measures and also in the little measures, like Damian's back-handed compliments and al Ghul's deeming Drake worthy as an heir producer. Actually, the later had yielded one of the best exchanges.

Ra's al Ghul - - "HE WILL PRODUCE A WORTHY HEIR."

al Ghul's Shadowy Female Aide - - "I'LL GET RIGHT ON THAT!"

Ha! They're so clandestine about it.

To's art runs smoothly, recalling Mark Bagley's work at times with his appealingly-clean lines and his skill with heroic anatomy and poses. I especially liked his splash pages throughout, which really gave the necessary "Ooomph!" for the kind of surprises they need to convey in the storytelling.

THE BAD 
You know, I really don't have any complaints, other than to say that, while this does everything very well, it doesn't do anything especially different.

THE VERDICT 
The best measure of a book like this is to say you can root for the character, and I can definitely say I was pumping my fist up for Mr. Drake. Even though I'm coming in at the conclusion of this arc, I never felt left out and I'm definitely interested to see what happens next with the host of entanglements Red Robin's been left. I'm curious to see what the new creative team will do, and I'm sure this will be looked back on as a defining character moment in Tim Drake's history.

4/5
#1 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it, great end to the entire arc.

#2 Posted by FLStyle (365 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like Red Robin is back on track. I seem to remember him not being looked at too fondly in an Unscripted of a previous RR.

#3 Posted by rouju (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Drake, I LOVE U!!! Yeah!!

#4 Posted by goatman2112 (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the dynamics of the former young justice members.

#5 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (360 posts) - - Show Bio

This book, much like the most recent issues of Batgirl, truly illustrates the strength of this new Batman Family. With Bruce's group, I might have used quotation marks around the word family, But Dick really does tie it together in a positive way.  
I loved Damian in this issue at the end, I almost wish Bruce wouldn't come back so I could see This family evolve without his presence, and I would really like to see Damian and Tim's "brotherly bond" grow.  
This is one of my favorite Batman books under the Batman Reborn banner next to Batgirl Detective Comics and Batman & Robin. Honestly I think the weakest book of all of them is Tony S. Daniel's Batman book, although for my money, not by much.

#6 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

loved this issue...just showed how bada$$ Tim is

#7 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see a better view of Tim's newly designed Red Robin suit

#8 Posted by jlat89 (302 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue clears up a lot of hesitancy I had with Yost's direction in the early issues.  Showing that Tim wasn't just going out there because he had nothing left made the whole 12 issues more enjoyable looking back now.  
I'm actually sad to see him go because it appears he did in fact know Tim Drake's character.  
If I saw I wrote that 6 months ago I would've thought I was crazy
and the new costume is much better.

#9 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio
@jlat89:  they just got rid of the tunic and added the spiked gloves right?  I didn't notice any other changes
#10 Posted by jlat89 (302 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: 
they added a batmanish utility belt as well.
#11 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio
@jlat89:  ok didn't notice that...I like it but I still kind of wish that they would have gotten rid of the cross the chest straps
#12 Posted by jlat89 (302 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: 
yeah but it actually looks better than it did before.  Plus Marcus To has made the character actually look like Tim, as opposed to the way he was drawn in the first arc
#13 Posted by lostlantern13 (856 posts) - - Show Bio
@E.I.S.A.M.:
I have to say that I agree with you. I think the Batman Family is much stronger now...I just find it much more interesting.
#14 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Any thoughts on who exactly the mystery woman is at the end? I'm calling Lady Shiva.

#15 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio
@jlat89 said:
" @danhimself:  yeah but it actually looks better than it did before.  Plus Marcus To has made the character actually look like Tim, as opposed to the way he was drawn in the first arc "
agreed he was way to bulky in the first arc

@Gambler said:
" Any thoughts on who exactly the mystery woman is at the end? I'm calling Lady Shiva. "

no idea...Lady Shiva would be nuts
#16 Posted by jlat89 (302 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: I don't think it would be Lady Shiva, they're talking about producing an heir, which automatically made me think another daughter to Ra's.  
The parallels are too hard to miss.  He calls Tim Detective now, much like he used to Bruce, and he wanted a worthy heir for his daughter.
Or I could be nuts?
#17 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio
@jlat89:  good point...didn't even think of that
#18 Posted by jlat89 (302 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: 
I guess it could be Shiva, but I thought that she was hell-bent on killing Tim.
Plus like I said to danhimself, it might be a secret daughter we don't know about.  It kind of makes sense if that's the case
#19 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@jlat89 said:
" @Gambler:  I guess it could be Shiva, but I thought that she was hell-bent on killing Tim. Plus like I said to danhimself, it might be a secret daughter we don't know about.  It kind of makes sense if that's the case "
She still respects Tim and measures him worthy of a death by her hands. So the idea of breeding with him to produce a worthy heir for Ras isn't beyond reasonable. I hope its not a secret daughter. I'm not a big fan of characters being created out of thin air for one story arc. But anythings possible. Shiva's already produced one potential heir for the League of Assassins, second times the charm (I doubt its her but it would be cool).
#20 Posted by jlat89 (302 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: 
yeah but Shiva is like, Bruce's age.  That's just kind of creepy haha.  Plus he just now got emancipated (I could have sworn he was already 18) which puts him at around17 then.  creepy.
#21 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@jlat89 said:

" @Gambler:  yeah but Shiva is like, Bruce's age.  That's just kind of creepy haha.  Plus he just now got emancipated (I could have sworn he was already 18) which puts him at around17 then.  creepy. "

Shiva's alot younger then Bruce, but really age and comics dont always make sense. I see what you're saying but its not like its  meant to be a "conventional" union anyway. Shiva was around that age when she had Cassandra, and David Cain was older then Batman lol. Someone also said it might even be  Tam Fox
#22 Edited by jlat89 (302 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler:  
truth.
it's possible that it could be Tam, but looking back at that page she's a lot lighter than Tam, she looks around the same color as Ra's, which is why I thought secret daughter.  
My first thought when reading was the chick from the Council of Spiders, but she touches Ra's so I doubt it's her.  
It could be Pru but I think I see hair in the hood, could be shadows though
#23 Posted by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Man this series just makes me realize how awesome Tim Drake is, he is my favorite DC hero hands down. I really wonder who that woman was, but I don't believe it is Tam or Lady Shiva.
#24 Posted by lostlantern13 (856 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler:
My initial guess would be Tam Fox.  

Didn't know about the secret daughter though...
#25 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@lostlantern13 said:
" @Gambler: My initial guess would be Tam Fox.   Didn't know about the secret daughter though... "
I think the secret daughter was just speculation. Maybe its Nyssa back from the dead?
#26 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

ohhhhhhh  what if it's Cassandra!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  DUN DUN DUN!!!!!

#27 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" ohhhhhhh  what if it's Cassandra!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  DUN DUN DUN!!!!! "
I thought of that as well. But Babs asked Didio about her and he seemed to imply that the DCU had no plans for her (could have been lying I guess) in the near future.
#28 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @danhimself said:
I thought of that as well. But Babs asked Didio about her and he seemed to imply that the DCU had no plans for her (could have been lying I guess) in the near future. "
DC has been saying at cons that there were no plans for Joker either
#29 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @Gambler said:
" @danhimself said:
I thought of that as well. But Babs asked Didio about her and he seemed to imply that the DCU had no plans for her (could have been lying I guess) in the near future. "
DC has been saying at cons that there were no plans for Joker either "
Good point. Although using misdirection for the Joker, and using them for Cassandra Cain are two different things. But I see what you're saying. I would love to see Cass return as a villain working for Ras.
#30 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @danhimself said:
" @Gambler said:
" @danhimself said:
DC has been saying at cons that there were no plans for Joker either "
Good point. Although using misdirection for the Joker, and using them for Cassandra Cain are two different things. But I see what you're saying. I would love to see Cass return as a villain working for Ras. "
I think it would be cool for the Bat Family to not know that she's working for Ras to and have her get really close to them and betray them after knocking boots with Tim of course
#31 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" I think it would be cool for the Bat Family to not know that she's working for Ras to and have her get really close to them and betray them after knocking boots with Tim of course "
She's betrayed em before and Nightwing still hasn't gotten over it lol
#32 Posted by Hamz (340 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue definitely read as the beginning of greater things for Tim Drake. Finding out how he had played Ra's at his own game by stopping the assassins and wrestling back control of Wayne Enterprises from Hush. It was a great issue and definitely a nice reminder of a scene (I forget which comic) where Bruce mentions to Alfred that one day they'd all be working for Tim since he was just that clever and capable.

The only thing I'm still somewhat disappointed in is the Red Robin costume. I'm hoping we'll see something different than Dr. Midnight rip-off!

#33 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim is the man.  So far DC has done a real real good job at showing just how smart this character is, now what they need to do is step up his fighting ability and start to show he's getting better at that.  If there is one differance between Batman and Dick it was always that feeling of how "how is batman going to kick this guys ass" and with Dick it was "How is Dick going to keep from getting his ass kicked."  You always know Batman is gonna win the fight for the most part, but not always to sure about Dick Grayson.  Maybe less lately because he's Batman but not when he was Nightwing.  They need to do that with Tim.  Give the reader the sense that everytime he fights you know he's gonna come out on top.  Not that, "he's gonna live to fight another day" feeling,
#34 Posted by Marc Spector (1 posts) - - Show Bio

sad to see yost go, but this was a great first twelve issues

#35 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2137 posts) - - Show Bio

In it's defense (not that it needs it) it does do one other thing to stand out from the previous RR issues at least. The Council of Spiders, The Men of Death, RR has had a tendency to be up against 6-7 super-assassins at once, only to have the actual fight fizzle out a bit. They way he took down The Council and the League at the same time in #8 was done well enough not to be anticlimactic, but I've felt some of his major opponents had been, especially the Men of Death. However, the straight losing fight against Ra's surpassed all his others and made up for their lackluster performance as just a lead-in into this final battle. 

Also happy that RR actually stole one of Bruce's top top top tier Rogue's Gallery for his own Rogue's Gallery. That is impressive. 1 step below stealing Joker or Hush for your own rg.

#36 Posted by buns134 (298 posts) - - Show Bio
@E.I.S.A.M. said:
"This book, much like the most recent issues of Batgirl, truly illustrates the strength of this new Batman Family. With Bruce's group, I might have used quotation marks around the word family, But Dick really does tie it together in a positive way.  
I loved Damian in this issue at the end, I almost wish Bruce wouldn't come back so I could see This family evolve without his presence, and I would really like to see Damian and Tim's "brotherly bond" grow.  
This is one of my favorite Batman books under the Batman Reborn banner next to Batgirl Detective Comics and Batman & Robin. Honestly I think the weakest book of all of them is Tony S. Daniel's Batman book, although for my money, not by much.

I love that Tim is inheriting Bruce Wayne's legacy, while Dick inherits Batman's.
"

I love that too bty TIM DRAKE GREATEST CHARACTER IN THE MAKING
#37 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

Iv been saying for a few years now that Tim will be a massive character, he was so underestimated.

#38 Posted by RedHurricane24 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

Truth be told, this issue was by the far, the best so far in such a young comic book. I loved how Yost developed Tim from a emotional person into a man full of confidence, clearly emulating what Batman said about him during Batman: Hush. Fabian Nicieza has a tall order to handle to match the momentum Chris Yost has just left with the conclusion of Collision.

PS: They should bring Yost back to RR in case Nicieza messes up.

#39 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

People still read this series?
#40 Posted by wordchallenge (139 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this issue. I've been on board with Tim Drake being Bruce's closest thing to an heir, in the sense of being an all around crimefighter and a force in the DCU, since his days first leading the Teen Titans. 
I didn't have high hopes for this series when I first heard about it, but it has delivered throughout and I'm excited to see where Tim goes next. I don't think I'll ever get used to calling him Red Robin though. 

#41 Posted by RedHurricane24 (214 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
That would be epic, and it would go coherent with her current mood of being disillusioned of fighting Batman's fight. If this happens, I'm definitely keeping more than one eye on that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.