'Red Robin' Review #2

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Alright, I love Tim Drake. I think this video explains exactly why. He's a fantastic character and honestly, I cannot wait to see what happens between him and one of Batman's fiercest rogues...
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Man thanks guys I now need to get that tomorrow, see you guys in eleven days.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By goldenkey

the volume is perfect now Babs, and now I have to pick this up as well.

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kurrent

His name is TIM WAYNE

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Kurrent said:
    " His name is TIM WAYNE "
    I still refer to him as Tim Drake.
    Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kurrent
    @G-Man said:
    " @Kurrent said:
    " His name is TIM WAYNE "
    I still refer to him as Tim Drake. "
    He might punch you like he did to Damien....lol
    Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Joe Venom

Someone was talking about when a character goes to a location and then magically a cape appears too, which is one of the reasons why this book is so cool Tim is playing it real smart and making good use of the Red Robin costume. I almost feel that Dick Grayson needs to read this book, because this is how batman takes care of business.

Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Paragon

Don't worry Babs, I say Ra's the same as you too. I think we're right.

logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By logan48227

I like the dichotomy that Yost is exploring with Tim. It almost seems like he has adopted Bruce's persona to keep him from dealing with the emotional weight of him losing another "father". Yost also brings up some interesting questions about how Tim can become his own man and what type of man will that be. 

Was the legacy of Batman and Robin the only thing keeping from taking a harder stance against criminals? Is Tim becoming as obsessive as his mentor? And if he is, where will that take him?

Overall good stuff.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Decept-O

Haven't picked this up yet but after reading Red Robin #1 and loving it, it's a sure bet I will.  What can be said?  I am so pleasantly surprised how Tim "Wayne" Drake--wha'eva--is being written.  I haven't been this interested and excited about a single comic character in quite some time.

I think Tim "Wayne" Drake is actually becoming more like Batman than even he realizes--and I am not complaining.   I also pronounce Ra's like you do, Babs.  Nice touch with the editing on the review with the little side screens while the comic is being shown,  added some flair to the review.  (Did I just say flair?  Please refer to the movie Office Space.  Oy. )

I am looking forward to more of Red Robin and seeing how things develop with the story, the character, and everything else that is tied in.

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBug

I also looove love love love Tim.  Red Robin may end up being Tim's Nightwing. He's scuplting his new identity out of grief.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By danhimself

at first I didn't like Tim as Red Robin but the idea is starting to grow on me

I thought the same thing during the scene with Spoiler...her eyes are the same color as the latest Batgirl promo

I pronounce Ra's the same way...I say it the way it looks

crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crazywolf

lol I pronounce Ra's either way. Cool review Babs. Tim is obviously one of your favs. Tim is another of my favs also. Tim sure has come a long way since he first appeared in one of my favorite story arcs, A Lonely Place of Dying. I have always liked Tim ever since then and he didn't even become Robin right away.

I just knew that with the proper writer this was going to be a great character as Robin. I mean Tim figured out that Batman was Bruce Wayne to prove he deserved to be Robin. Tim is just one those characters that seems to get great writers and artists for his books. Red Robin looks like another must read book.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Nahero

dang i should have picked it up instead of the other comic i bought today

Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Obsurity

I pronounce Ra's al Ghul the same the same way! I thought the issue was better than the first issue. I'm not sold on the artist at times it comes off lazy. Good job on the volume. Where's your voice impersonations like G-man? LOL

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tyler Starke

Ewww who says RAYSH al Ghul, Puh! it totally sounds like RAHZ al Ghul and thats how they pronounce it in the movie and the cartoon series. anyways enough of that, great review I can't wait for more red robin, it's my favorite series out there right now, and I'm primarily a marvel kid, Go Tim DRAKE, I also never understood why he wanted to shed his true last name

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PrinceIMC

My first exposure to Tim Drake was that I happened to pick up Robin #1 when Azrael took over for Bruce and kicked Tim out of the cave. I had no idea that there was a second and even third Robin at the time but since then I'm been a Tim fan. I will definitely have to pick this up.

Kinda like G-Man pronouncing Pym. You read something enough times you imagine how its pronounced then just can't get it out if someone tells you its something different. If I ever write comic books I'm gonna have a pronounciation guide for the harder names.

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By burr787

I can't stand Tim in this issue, he's such a whiny little bitch and is acting like he's the only one that's suffering. I also don't get why he's acting like such an anti-hero now, is he doing it just for the sake of the costume if so that's just stupid. I hope Dick kicks his ass in the fourth issue.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#18  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @PrinceIMC said:

" My first exposure to Tim Drake was that I happened to pick up Robin #1 when Azrael took over for Bruce and kicked Tim out of the cave. I had no idea that there was a second and even third Robin at the time but since then I'm been a Tim fan. I will definitely have to pick this up.Kinda like G-Man pronouncing Pym. You read something enough times you imagine how its pronounced then just can't get it out if someone tells you its something different. If I ever write comic books I'm gonna have a pronounciation guide for the harder names. "

I called him 'Ras' until Batman: The Animated Series where (I'm pretty sure) Batman said "Raysh."
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#19  Edited By EisforExtinction
    @burr787 said:
    " I can't stand Tim in this issue, he's such a whiny little bitch and is acting like he's the only one that's suffering. I also don't get why he's acting like such an anti-hero now, is he doing it just for the sake of the costume if so that's just stupid. I hope Dick kicks his ass in the fourth issue. "
    I felt the same way in the first issue.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By johnny_spam

I really think the anti-christ Batman Damian killed in Batman 666 was Tim or Jason and not that Michael Lane guy because he says Batman was like his father to if Tim is becoming darker than it makes me think that is what happened.

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By cascadeking09

thank u, its about time. ive been waitin on this 1

Carbine23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Carbine23

Good one thanks, and you look prettier than ever :]

Xypher07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Xypher07

The way you said it was the way it was pronounced in Batman Begins and the way I've always said it.  That's all the confirmation that I need.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @G-Man said:
    " @PrinceIMC said:

" My first exposure to Tim Drake was that I happened to pick up Robin #1 when Azrael took over for Bruce and kicked Tim out of the cave. I had no idea that there was a second and even third Robin at the time but since then I'm been a Tim fan. I will definitely have to pick this up.Kinda like G-Man pronouncing Pym. You read something enough times you imagine how its pronounced then just can't get it out if someone tells you its something different. If I ever write comic books I'm gonna have a pronounciation guide for the harder names. "

I called him 'Ras' until Batman: The Animated Series where (I'm pretty sure) Batman said "Raysh." "
    I didn't read DC before Batman: TAS so I had never heard of him before that. I go by Raysh since that's the first place I heard it. Then I felt stupid when I saw Batman Begins and they pronounced it Rahs. I figure it can go either way so I don't lost any sleep over it though.

I agree with Babs too that he's probably my favorite Batman villain. He's as much of a control freak as Bruce and goes so far beyond Gotham City.
    ulrich200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ulrich200

Babs,your first spelling of the name is the nearest to the arabian spelling (ra's al ghoul)

I'm from Egypt,i'm telling you say it right 
    deadkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deadkid

no red robin is tim drake

Black\/Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Black\/Shadow

Nice reviewiing babs. Got to say am looking forward to picking up red robin. i actually think that Babs is right and that Tim is becoming his own character, coming out of his shell and becoming more like batman. Also Ra's blatantly RHAZ. 

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheBug
    @burr787 said:
    "I can't stand Tim in this issue, he's such a whiny little bitch and is acting like he's the only one that's suffering. I also don't get why he's acting like such an anti-hero now, is he doing it just for the sake of the costume if so that's just stupid. I hope Dick kicks his ass in the fourth issue. "

You gotta give Tim a bit of a break. Wouldn't you be pissed if you were fired and replaced with an annoying little brat?
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#29  Edited By No_Name_

I really think that Tim is simply utilizing the Red Roin costume. I know his character is vulnerable at the moment, but I would like to think that he isn't so naiive that he would so recklessly be swayed by the advances and persuasion of a villain like R'as. I could see Tim simply cleverly utilizing R'as' resources (Considering he's technically run away from home and presently has very few resources of his own...) but I don't think (at least I hope) that we won't be seeing him turn to the dark side.

I hope those of you that consider picking this up are not disappointed!

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Media_Master

Looks exciting

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31  Edited By Dr. Maxwell
    @burr787 said:
    " I can't stand Tim in this issue, he's such a whiny little bitch and is acting like he's the only one that's suffering. "
    Tim was OK in this issue but I really disliked him in the events leading up to the series, that's where he was the whiniest IMO.  But yes Tim is taking it the harshest out of the 4 sons it seems.
    Pheeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pheeke

i love tim and the way this story is going, really exided about this red robin serie!

Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By Spectrum

I always wanted Tim to get the Cowl but now i think im pretty happy he didnt.

In my eyes the Cowl is too static. I dont think it allows room for growth and development of character. A character like Tim now has an entirely new role to play and explore which he can now do in this title. He also gets to find himself, like Babs said, highlight how hes changing into his own new hero and contrast that against his role as a sidkick in the past.

In many ways it is like the Journey that Dick undertook to become Nightwing. Venturing out on his own away from Batman to find and establish who he is and what hes all about. The difference here is that Tim is venturing towards (or looking for) Batman and as such I almost feel that the journey for him will end when (or if) he finds Batman. Put in that situation I think it would be really interesting to see how Tim reacts. Would he go back to being a sidekick? Would he continue on his own journey? Would he work alongside Batman as just part of the network or batfamily?

I love the fact that Rhas (I pronounce it like Babs, just to clarify) is the villain here. Rhas always had the sort of relationship with Batman that almost made it appear as if they were friends or allies. It was more than a simple good versus evil battle, when they faced each other a new dynamic or twist was allways thrown between the two like Talia and Damien and these served to almost strenthen the conection and bonds between the two. Rhas always referred to Bruce as "Detective". Tim was always the best detective of all the Robins and so putting him beside a villian who always emphasised Batmans detective skills was a stroke of genius. It underscores just how like Batman Tim is and I hope to see it illistrate how Tim can surpass Batman as a dective in becoming Red Robin, while it also highlights that  Red Robin is a major player now, cabable of taking on a major villian.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AngelFrost

I love Tim too !
    Glad he got his own series.

and I hope your right about Steph,
    It's about time for her to be a well-known character in the universe.
    (:

The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The Hottness

Im picking this book up Babs...
    Im picking this book up Babs...

and you can kick back, i'll make Red Robin hott
    and you can kick back, i'll make Red Robin hott

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bruce Vain

Well being of Persian  decent you are actually pronouncing Ra's name correctly.

Now I've fallen behind on my Batman reading, what with the whole R.I.P. storyline that's been going on. But did Tim all of a sudden have a growth spurt? Because seeing these pictures of him as Red Robin now,  it looks like he's a grown man and not a teenager anymore. Also, I thought Dick Grayson became Red Robin in Kingdom Come, so why is Tim Red Robin? I know Bruce adopted Tim after his father died and all but when did Tim change his last name to Wayne? Was it right after Batman's death or something?

Man I hate falling behind on my Batman titles, LOL

shugtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shugtastic

sooo...i am relatively new to this site (i discovered it when googling "comic book news") and was pleasantly surprised by the site!  i find it to be very informative and easily accessible.  i LOVE the video reviews and have even used a few of them to add a title or two to my "pull list" at my LCS!

that having been said:  Babs is absolutely gorgeous!  AND she reads a lot of the same titles that I do!  do you think she would go out with me?  :)

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NightFang3

Great review!!! 

( I just have to say you are one of the hottest women on the vine. )

Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Tradog

Nice review, I have really been into batman and I always thought robin sucked, but after reading Batman/Wildcat I might check it out. And wait a sec who that guy in the background could it be that Babs has a..? My dreams everything, hopes crushed like the moonlit grass under my feet.

Avatar image for supermanfreak123
    supermanfreak123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By supermanfreak123

You are really good at explaining how the comic is. my friend batman collector 12345 has the first appearance of ra's al ghul if you want to buy it. he will sell it to you for a good price. write me back when you get this.

RedRobin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By RedRobin92

Very good review Babs, I couldn't agree more

Kashimu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kashimu

Red Robin is going awfully slow in my opinion. Both the 1st and 2nd issues were not much more than him being a whiny brat. Although, it might get interesting soon, this has been my outlook towards it so far.

Johnny_Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Johnny_Blazed

Im really glad Tims becoming his own person
    He no longer has to live in the shadow of Batman

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.