Beginners Guide to the Red Lantern Corps

• 51 results
Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio

The world of Green Lantern has been flipped upside-down since Geoff Johns took over almost 7 years ago for Green Lantern Rebirth. One of the coolest things he's done with the Green Lantern Universe (GLU) was the addition of other light spectrum based lantern corps. Aside from the Green Lantern Corps and Sinestro Corps, one lantern team has taken center stage in the GL books over the past year: The Red Lantern Corps. Fueled by rage, these corps members are pure emotion and use that emotion to w wreak havoc on their enemies and get their vengeance.

The Red Lantern Corps is led by Atrocitus, a being who watched his own people die at the hands of the Manhunters a very long time ago. Atrocitus has held onto that rage for hundreds of years, and eventually, he became the leader and first member of the Red Lantern Corps in Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns. Since then, the corps has become one of the deeper corps in the GLU, and some great characters have been introduced like Dex-starr and Bleez. Let's not forget during Blackest Night when Aquaman's wife, Mera, became a deputy lantern for the team, or Guy Gardner's struggle to keep the Red Lantern blood out of his system. The team has it's own feel now and it's own powers, including telepathy (due to vomiting the Red Lantern blood onto any surface. What a gross way to talk to your leader). The team is also drenched in prophecy, much like the rest of the GLU, but for this team, it feels right. This team has become more of an enemy to the Green Lantern Corps, they are their own entity, but are they big enough for their own book?
== TEASER == 
 Looks like someone is puking up the innards of Kool-Aid Man.
Fans and DC both agree, this team needs their own book. Starting in 2011 (exact date not known yet), Peter Milligan ( 2000 AD, X-Statix, Hellblazer, and Greek Street) will be penning an on-going series about the team called Red Lanterns. This is will mark the first time another Lantern Corps is getting their own on-going book, and it will be the fourth on-going Lantern Corps book on the shelves ( Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, and Green Lantern Emerald Warriors) Milligan is very enthusiastic about the series and knows where he wants to take it.

Atrocitus is angry. His entire race was almost wiped out by marauding Manhunters... the Manhunter massacre happened an awful long time ago. Eons ago. Okay, you’d never get over something like that. But Atrocitus’ rage hasn’t weakened. It is just as immense and awesome as it was all those centuries ago. I wanted to know why...  We’ll also begin to learn what goes on in the boiling brains of his napalm-blooded corps. Can the proud Bleeze remain a loyal servant? How does the angry cat DEXTAR try to feed its beloved master? And what horrors lie at the bed of the ocean of blood? 

Atrocitus really has come into his own the past few months, not just as a villain to the Green Lantern Corps, but a great, well-rounded character. Aside from him, it seems Milligan will be focusing on some fan-favorite Red Lantern Corps members including Dex-Starr and Bleez. Hopefully, we'll even get some of The Butcher in there, who was recently introduced as the embodiment of rage. We can expect this book to make this team more of a team and less of an enemy. Currently, we get to see Atrocitus and Bleez in the Green Lantern (GL, GL Corps and Emerald Warriors) series, but we don't get much of a team feel to them and that's the key thing missing to make the Red Lantern Corps a great part of the GLU. 

If you're a Green Lantern Corps fan, but don't know too much about this team, here's the recommended reading to catch you up on the good stuff. 

• Green Lantern #25: In the finale of the Sinestro Corps War, we see a brief two page splash of the Light War. It's the first time you see the Red Lantern Corps and Atrocitus.
  • Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns: This one-shot has little to nothing to do with Final Crisis. It's all about Atrocitus' rage for the massacre in sector 666, becoming the first Red Lantern, and starting his corps up. If you want to know why these characters are filled with rage, this is the issue you have to check out. Each character is mad about something different, and you'd be insane not to pick this up to find out what got their individual panties in a bunch.
  • Green Lantern #29-#35: Secret Origins: A retelling of the origin of Hal Jordan as Green Lantern, but we get great history on the massacre of sector 666 and Atrocitus pre-Red Lantern member.
  • Green Lantern #26-#28, #36-#38: Rage of the Red Lanterns: (In the trade, the Final Crisis Rage of the Red Lantern one-shot is included) The Green Lantern Corps and Red Lantern Corps face off! You get to see the full-on power this team has.
  • Green Lantern #53-#55, #60, #61, Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #5, and Green Lantern Corps #55: Atrocitus' character has been developed a bit more and more secrets have been revealed about his secret mission. All of this will most likely play into the Milligan book. 

It's a lot of reading, but well worth it. You could also check out Blackest Night, which features the corps members, but it doesn't add too much to the team, since the main focus is on the dead coming back to life. 

~Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring is a teacher, comedian, writer, comic store employee, and the cause of the massacre on sector 666~ 

Check out Mat "InferiorEgo" Elfring on twitter and watch him tweet your face off.

#1 Posted by dondasch (921 posts) - - Show Bio

Will definitely check this out

#2 Posted by CDviper (9111 posts) - - Show Bio

woah i was just thinking about giving my character a red ring in the RPG section too xD

#3 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it'll be an alright book

#4 Posted by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool!

#5 Posted by thecheckeredman (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Red, Orange, Blue...blurg to the Care Bear lanterns...

#6 Posted by Gokujam (66 posts) - - Show Bio

"Reek" havok?? 

I think you meant "Wreak"
#7 Edited by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gokujam: No he means reek!!!  Cause the red lanterns smell... 
#8 Posted by Jake Fury (19269 posts) - - Show Bio

So many Lanterns...
#9 Posted by Decept-O (7295 posts) - - Show Bio

The Koool-Aid Man caption got me laughing.   

Thanks for the break-down on this, it helps. It all sounds like a fun read but I just can't invest in it right now.  Sadly.
#10 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

Plot Twist!! 
Red Hulk should Join!!!!

#11 Posted by Gokujam (66 posts) - - Show Bio
@Final Arrow:
Rofl
#12 Posted by FireFlare153 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting.. but so much anger these days!

#13 Posted by snootchie_bootchies (121 posts) - - Show Bio

As a huge GL fan, I would love to pick this up and check it out. But what about the other corps and the Indigo tribe? No love for them? Theres a lot lacking in the Blue Corps. And the Indigo Tribe is still considered mysterious. Perhaps this is the first step towards something greater?...

#14 Posted by Video_Martian (5562 posts) - - Show Bio

Too many GL books =P

#15 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Doctor!!!!! said:
" Plot Twist!! Red Hulk should Join!!!! "
Hell that would be a plot twist and a rather confusing law suit that followed.
#16 Posted by Jake Fury (19269 posts) - - Show Bio
@snootchie_bootchies said:
"As a huge GL fan, I would love to pick this up and check it out. But what about the other corps and the Indigo tribe? No love for them? Theres a lot lacking in the Blue Corps. And the Indigo Tribe is still considered mysterious. Perhaps this is the first step towards something greater?... "

Saint Walker is joining the JLA.
#17 Posted by GraveSp (314 posts) - - Show Bio

Really the only reason I am going to pick this up is because Milligan is writing.  

#18 Posted by Agnosia (62 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr.obvious said:
" Too many GL books =P "
i agree...and too many batman books...there are so many characters in the universe, DC needs to make some of the lesser characters more interesting.
#19 Posted by SQReview (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like what Johns did for Green Lantern. I think he took the characters and series in a much more solid direction from the 80's and 90's story lines. 

I do agree that there are too many books for each character, and that they should focus on some of the lesser known characters. I've always been a big fan of The Question myself.

#20 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio
@Doctor!!!!! said:
Saw this custom figure online when looking for a promo image. 

Staff
#21 Posted by darth bul (130 posts) - - Show Bio

very cool
#22 Posted by mickoreo_LZ (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Almost too many Lantern Corps to keep track of these days, although the Red Lanterns might be the most interesting of the bunch

#23 Edited by Frobin (97 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't think that there's enough substance for an own ongoing series ... I woudl rather prefer a "Lanterns" Book which includes stories of all corpses - obviously the green, red and yellow corps would capture the most place in this book. But the other corpses could bring in some interesting stories too.

#24 Posted by zmann95 (127 posts) - - Show Bio
@Frobin said:
"Don't think that there's enough substance for an own ongoing series ... I woudl rather prefer a "Lanterns" Book which includes stories of all corpses - obviously the green, red and yellow corps would capture the most place in this book. But the other corpses could bring in some interesting stories too. "

This , while i don't hate the idea of RLC , i still believe your option is better
#25 Posted by DEGRAAF (7918 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should give Sinestro his own book before Atrocitus. I like them both but there is more substance going on behind Sinestro with his family and him seemingly bordering the line between GL and YL ever since the end of blackest night. 

Also im still waiting and thinking that since the Blue lanterns cant really use there rings unless they are in the presence of a GL that the BL's should make a pact with the GL's to be their "deputy officers" or something. Basically have one BL travel around with each GL. That could essentially get rid of the GL's mini lanterns they carry around to recharge and would make them more powerful then ever.
#26 Posted by greenenvy (580 posts) - - Show Bio

Not my favorite and getting a little annoyed of this  team because there are getting more popular and guest starring almost everywhere. For me I rather see a Sinestro Corp series or maybe the indigo tribe since I kinda like indigo plus there still barely not too known. I know there are many people out there wanting a Larfleeze series also. 

#27 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
" Cool! "
#28 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @Doctor!!!!! said:
Saw this custom figure online when looking for a promo image. 

"
I think I have that one, minus the custom work.
#29 Posted by darksoul7th (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!!

#30 Posted by Mercy_ (91888 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome job, dude.

#31 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio

Dex-Starr is that dude!!! I demand more DEX-STARR!!!!!

#32 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO The Red Lantern Corps in one of the more interesting Corps based on what has been seen in the recent issues.

#33 Posted by mavfan626 (4117 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm... I might just pick this one up..

#34 Posted by GreenLantern555 (2169 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it. Can't wait. 

#35 Posted by blakester (5 posts) - - Show Bio

For all saying there are too many GL books, please note the number of Batman books.
#36 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
" @snootchie_bootchies said:
"As a huge GL fan, I would love to pick this up and check it out. But what about the other corps and the Indigo tribe? No love for them? Theres a lot lacking in the Blue Corps. And the Indigo Tribe is still considered mysterious. Perhaps this is the first step towards something greater?... "
Saint Walker is joining the JLA. "
Seriously? That's dope if so. Always liked that guy. Hope the Blue Lanterns get more attention as this current GL arc sews up.
#37 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio
@blakester said:
" For all saying there are too many GL books, please note the number of Batman books. "
True, but that doesn't make the former statement any less true. 
#38 Posted by Mercy_ (91888 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
" @snootchie_bootchies said:
Saint Walker is joining the JLA. "
Say whaaaa? THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#39 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice write-up

#40 Posted by Eyz (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic news!
..but another GL on-going book??
DC wants all my money!! XD

#41 Posted by soundbite (463 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr.obvious said:
"Too many GL books =P "

and the namesake rings true again ;)    

so Atrocitus is Angry...who cares?  I don't think that's an issue that's worth delving into.  overexposure isn't good for anyone.
#42 Posted by Mercy_ (91888 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather Larfleeze get an ongoing. 

#43 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2235 posts) - - Show Bio
@Theodore:

I will most likely read it when it comes out, but I don't know that they are fully deserving of a stand alone book. Maybe a mini but not a book, not yet at least. 

#44 Edited by Razeil (56 posts) - - Show Bio
@zmann95 said:

" @Frobin said:

"Don't think that there's enough substance for an own ongoing series ... I woudl rather prefer a "Lanterns" Book which includes stories of all corpses - obviously the green, red and yellow corps would capture the most place in this book. But the other corpses could bring in some interesting stories too. "

This , while i don't hate the idea of RLC , i still believe your option is better "
Remember "Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps" that was roughly what you describe, I liked it and I'm not much one for the GLU. Anyway I like that idea and purpose they restart "Tales of the Corps" instead.
#45 Posted by Darkchild (41473 posts) - - Show Bio

This is EPIC, i love most of the Red Lanterns cant wait for this
#46 Posted by #1 (421 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY i feel educated

#47 Posted by ImperiousRix (1050 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, that Dex-starr seems like a hilariously awesome character.  I'd read the series for him alone!

#48 Posted by GothamBat (643 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! Its about time! my favorite corps!

#49 Posted by Mediant (321 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great. I'm really happy to hear DC is branching out to the other corps for series. Of the other corps I'd most like to see more of Red and the Star Sapphires in their own series, so this is exactly what I wanted.

#50 Posted by COBRAMORPH (1646 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I always thought that in 5 years there'd only be the green, yellow  & red corps. None of the others are interesting enough to last. I dont think the other 6 will end, just not matter any more than any other 3rd string character or group.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.