sqreview's Red Hood and the Outlaws #2 - Shot Through the Heart, and Who's to Blame? review

• sqreview wrote this review on .
  • sqreview has written a total of 148 reviews. The last one was for

Todd's Training Revealed

Many readers know that I was gravely disappointed in the first issue of Red Hood and the Outlaws when it debuted in the New 52 by DC Comics. I was among the camp that it was playing too much on how sexy Starfire was, how nonchalant Arsenal was, and Todd’s overall personality and look.

I’m happy to say that I did enjoy the second issue a little bit better, but honestly not by much.

The team heads to China where Todd is preparing to enter into another dimension where he trained with Druca and the All Caste to learn their warrior ways and teachings. The overall story was enjoyable, but I’m still not sold on these incarnations of these characters.

Scott Lobdell’s writing is a bit clamored, and it feels like “wouldn’t this be cool if” storytelling instead of an actual solid plot. The artwork by Kenneth Rocafort was pretty decent, but there were a couple of pages where it was all thrown together and I couldn’t tell what was going on. That being said there was a great reveal of Starfire in a limo that sort of used the panel layouts that the new Captain America comic is using over at Marvel.

Overall I’m giving this book a chance because I want it to be awesome. I love Roy Harper and Jason Todd and I really think they make a great set of partners. I’m not thrilled about Starfire’s inclusion, because she really doesn’t fit the archetype that the other two characters do. I’m going to give this issue a 3/5 for being better than the first one, but it still doesn’t meet my expectations of a Batman-related comic book.

Other reviews for Red Hood and the Outlaws #2 - Shot Through the Heart, and Who's to Blame?

Red Hood Gets Heated 0

Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 can out to some controversy. That aside the series is still coming out. How does issue #2 do?  THE GOOD:  I think the art is okay. It is really sketchy and I think that it has a quite a bit of detail. The story is where I start to stop liking. I really like seeing Jason's roots explained. I think that Scott Lobdell did that well and will give him credit for that. I also like how Starfire is in this ISSUE. I really like the fight action that we have in this issue.  THE...

The 300 pound orange elephant in the room. 0

Is it possible to review this issue without talking about the giant 300 pound elephant in the room? I speak of course of Scott Lobdell's bold (brazen? sexist? miscalculated? brave?) new take on everyone's favorite Teen Titan, Starfire. I'm going to dodge the issue for a moment and try and be fair to this issue. I was not really impressed with the series introduction, but was curious enough about each character's origin that I picked the second issue up out of curiosity.Issue two continues to mak...