duo_forbidden's Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 - I Fought the Law and Kicked its Butt review

"As the good book says, "Go bold or go home!""

Synopsis: Jason Todd, Roy Harper and Starfire come together to form a new group.

What's Good?

Red Hood and the Outlaws seems like a series that have characters that wants to do right, but are anti-heroes. Jason Todd is one of those characters who's not evil, but sees the world in a different view. Killing is not a problem for him. When it comes to Roy Harper, let's just say I'm so thankful Lobdell disregards the action taken place in Cry for Justice and The Rise of Arsenal, but sadly with a cost. As for Starfire well....

Kennth Rocafort artwork is great visually, despite how I feel about a certain character is portrayed (look below). The action is hectic, but Rocafort doesn't pushes it quite yet. I'm surprised he drew Jason with Black hair instead of his original color. I guess it's because there's too many redheads as there is in this book.

What's Bad?

I don't get the sense of why this series exist. Sure, I do want to see Jason Todd in his own series, but what purpose does it serve? How can it continue without getting stale? I mean, this could be easily fit into a Secret Six or Suicide club series. But then again, I could also see this series as a darker Titans series since all three of them were Teen Titans in the previous DC Universe.

I absolutely dislike the way Starfire is portrayed in this series. I knew Roy and Jason would make some great partnership due to their past, but I never understood why Starfire was written for this series. Yes, she's supposed to be an attractive alien who loves to show off her body, but she had personality and class before. Unlike the Catwoman issue that was full of sexual tension, but it was part of her character, I felt nothing for Starfire in this first issue, and that's disappointing.

Overall: Other than the changes to Starfire, this is a pretty solid book for fans of Jason Todd.

Posted by zackattack529

once they POSSIBLY get a bigger roster in the future theyll have more to build off of. i mean re dhood ALONE already has enough to build off as well as his enemies. but this definitly isnt the full roster theyr hoping to continue. even suicide squad is getting captain boomerang in there in issue #4 so this will do the same. this series wont get stale for a LONG time to come :)

Posted by Silkcuts

The changes to Kori will bring new fans

Posted by Duo_forbidden

@Silkcuts: Oh, for sure. I''d still follow this title even with Starfire and Roy's different changes. One person I hope shows up in this series is Cheshire.