Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Starfire's duel with Blackfire forces Vril Dox to broker peace between Rann and Thanagar -- a move that doesn't please the Green Lantern Corps at all.

The Good

As I said about the earlier issues, I enjoy this book the same way I enjoy a good low-key BBC science fiction show. There are superheroic brawls and action in outer spacer, but what's actually more interesting is the political intrigue afoot between all these alien races and organizations. Vril Dox really comes out like the hero of this book, and he didn't have to throw a punch. I'm glad to see the tensions from the Rann/Thanagar War still linger in Adam Strange's mistrust of the Warbirds, as well as the complexities regarding the GL Corps antagonism with REBELS and the intrusiveness that their enforcement of Oan law has on Starfire's people. I have no idea where Lyrl Dox comes from - - I'm still not quite clear on how Vril Dox can be the "son" of Brainiac either - - but I'm intrigued to see what he's going to do with this mysterious Solaris -like character, Stargrave.

The Bad

The art runs a little too under-detailed in parts and the coloring has to fill in a lot of detail with patterns that I feel ought to have actually been in the actual line-work. This runs from starfields to tree leaves to clouds in the sky. And I don't know... sometimes the characters looked a little stiff.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

If Bedard's bringing this kind of intrigue to his run on Green Lantern Corps, one of my favorite titles, then I know the comic's in good hands. I'd definitely recommend this title to anybody versed in DC's cosmology who'd like to see a more serious take on the concepts with a harder SF spin.  I do wish the look was a little flashier but, like I said, the appeal here is the plotting.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By SevanGrim

i cant get into Rebels. i only really liked the BN tie ins.

Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Joey Ravn
    @Grim said:

" i cant get into Rebels. i only really liked the BN tie ins. "

I, on the other hand, love it. It's one of my favorite series right now :P Thanks for the review, Zack! 

Oh, and BTW. Lyrl is Vril Dox's son (that is, "Brainiac II"), who is in turn a clone of the original. The first Brainiac cloned himself to have a "lab assistant" :P
    Avatar image for danny_von_dirty
    Danny Von Dirty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Danny Von Dirty

I'ld like to see some more Lobo in this title.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.