'Star Wars Rebels' Animated Series Announced

• 59 results
Posted by G-Man (30700 posts) - - Show Bio

We recently heard the news that Star Wars: The Clone Wars would not be returning. The show had been getting better and better with each season. Unfortunately with the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney, it made sense that a show started before the sale and on another network would not be able to survive the transition. Of course it made perfect sense that something else would arise and take its place. Now we have something to look forward to.

Announced this morning, Star Wars Rebels will be an all-new animated television series premiering in Fall 2014. The one-hour premiere will air on Disney Channel and followed by a series on Disney XD.

The creative team involved consists of screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) as an executive producer and writer of the premiere episode, Dave Filoni as an executive producer (who lead Star Wars: The Clone Wars since 2008) and executive producer Greg Weisman (Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Gargoyles). It appears the show is in great hands.

The show is set in between the events of Episode III and IV. This twenty year span has never been explored before on screen.

Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape.

Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation which includes many of those involved with Star Wars: The Clone Wars. No information on whether it will be animated or CG (which is most likely) or who will be part of the cast.

Here's what Dave Filoni had to say about the show:

Source: StarWars.com

Staff
#1 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7605 posts) - - Show Bio

YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YESSSSS!!!

#2 Posted by G-Man (30700 posts) - - Show Bio

Staff
#3 Posted by TommytheHitman (2904 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay! Still not Battlefront 3 but yay!

#4 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

meh. they will shove darth vader down our throats so much the novelty of him will just disappear. just like lightsaber fights. and yoda.

#5 Posted by Mucklefluga (2525 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet!

#6 Posted by IgiMancer (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Starkiller and Rahm Kota? :)

#7 Posted by churrific (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Good news!

#8 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7605 posts) - - Show Bio

Good news!

Agreed, this is good news.

#9 Posted by ColonelRunAway (369 posts) - - Show Bio

If this is all about how Ahsoka survived the purge and became a leading rebel commander, I swear to god I'll start burning houses down.

#10 Posted by AjO16 (68 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm super pumped

#11 Posted by SmashBrawler (5509 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. I guess that live action series was cancelled, then?

#12 Edited by mcbean (292 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish they would do both clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels that would be cool.

I don't have a opinion on Rebels but I think we all should wait and see and hope for the best.

#13 Posted by danhimself (22318 posts) - - Show Bio

Greg Weisman is executive producing...be prepared to love this show and then have it cancelled after 2 seasons

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32987 posts) - - Show Bio

Lo the end of the EU is nigh

#15 Posted by Kwodam (97 posts) - - Show Bio

yessssssss no fucking prequil shit anymore!!!!!!!!

#16 Posted by frogdog (3242 posts) - - Show Bio

Greg Weisman is executive producing...be prepared to love this show and then have it cancelled after 2 seasons

=(

#17 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7597 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool stuff

#18 Posted by TheGwailo (42 posts) - - Show Bio

If this is all about how Ahsoka survived the purge and became a leading rebel commander, I swear to god I'll start burning houses down.

For sure. I'll be joining you.

#19 Posted by dondave (34756 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#20 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!

#21 Posted by SupBatz (1705 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to see a series taking place before Episode I. That era is seldom explored.

Still, I'll definitely be checking this out.

#22 Posted by kid Apollo (709 posts) - - Show Bio

dont get me wrong, i look forward to anything Star Wards related, but considering the time span and what happened in ep III and whats established in IV, this series could potentially be pretty depressing!

#23 Edited by Farkam (4821 posts) - - Show Bio

On one hand i'm beyond bored with Star Wars related stuff. On the other hand i'm still curious to see what happened between the two episodes.

#24 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Great news. I know I'll be collecting all seasons on Blu-Ray for sure! I love anything related to Star Wars. Since this new show will be taken place between III & IV, I wonder if we will get to see young Luke and his twin sister more often? Just wondering. :)

#25 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

F that. Jedi Boba Fett game would be the best.

#26 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (23399 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes this should be great!!

#27 Edited by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks promising

PLEASE PLEASE put Starkiller in here! Since Force Unleashed 3 has gone the way of all Star Wars games number 3's please make one story arc about him. At the very least mention him.

#28 Posted by RoTheKid (252 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. Pretty cool! I'm glad to see that Greg Weisman was able to get a new gig. I remember reading in an interview he did a while back, and this was after Young Justice was cancelled, he said that he had been out of work for a little over a year. I'm glad he was picked up for such a great opportunity! He is a very talented writer and producer.

#29 Edited by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay!

#30 Edited by LarryDavis (143 posts) - - Show Bio

EA owns the rights to make Star Wars games now, and they also own DICE, who make Battlefield. Put it together.

#31 Posted by sora_thekey (8154 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds AMAZING!

I wonder if they'll be some sort of connection to Star Wars Force Unleashed? Granted, I never played the game but I knew of the premise and that sounded amazing too...

That's it, I'm having a 6-movie/2-trilogies and TV series/movie/shorts Star Wars and the Clone Wars marathon before this comes out. Who's with me?

#32 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1306 posts) - - Show Bio

This should be fun how to make a show and not burn fan's out be over using characters. The clones reaction to having free born trooper's is the only part I really want to see at the moment.

#33 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll admit, it will be interesting to see how this series will progress. Maybe they will feature references from the Force Unleashed and Clone Wars series? Hey, maybe go beyond Episode IV and in-between the trilogies! Hell, with an amazing group consisting of Filloni, Weisman, and Kinberg, I have high hopes!

#34 Posted by brightstarr731 (32 posts) - - Show Bio

THIS! This show has the opportunity to be perfection!

#35 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (20910 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope they don't f*** with Greg Weisman again this time around...

#36 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@kwodam said:

yessssssss no fucking prequil shit anymore!!!!!!!!

actually it is exactly ''prequil shit'' (or prequel if you spellcheck) because it takes place before the movie 'STAR WARS'

#37 Posted by sentryman555 (749 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope they don't try to shoehorn in random cameos of Han Solo and the like.

#38 Posted by martyyy15 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

@igimancer:

oh god I hope. That game needs to become cannon. Best story of the beginning of the rebelion I ever heard. And starkiller is awesome

#39 Posted by nrgb2814 (114 posts) - - Show Bio

@supbatz said:

I want to see a series taking place before Episode I. That era is seldom explored.

Yeah! A couple Darth Plagueis and Palpatine training episodes would be cool!

#40 Posted by Owie (3630 posts) - - Show Bio

This could be cool but it's too bad we have to wait until fall of 2014.

#41 Edited by notarandomguy (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@supbatz said:

So do I.. I mean, the great sith war and stuff? it doesn't have to go as far as Knights Of the Old Republic but still, pre episode I sounds really neat

#42 Edited by michaelthemighty17 (237 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay!

#43 Posted by The_Tree (7247 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like an interesting area to explore, and I'm sure it'll be great with all those fantastic names behind it. I'm hoping that it has the same animation style as Clone Wars.

My biggest problem is that they're putting it on Disney XD rather than the Disney Channel. Disney XD is like the stupid cousin of Disney Channel. I know that it's more of a "boys' channel" with action and stuff, but I'm sure ratings would do a lot better on the main one.

#44 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (17627 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds very interesting and I am quite excited about this right now.Since the Empire era is my favourite.

Yeah this is good news where I am standing. Hope they don't put Starkiller in though it would make little sense but expanding Kota could be interesting.

#45 Edited by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay!!! Fall 2014 seems soo far away :(!

#46 Posted by Xwraith (15683 posts) - - Show Bio

<----- It better include this guy.

#47 Edited by Mojo65 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

The Final showdown can STAR WARS manage to beat the Weisman curse? Will Greg Weisman finally produce a series that last more than 2 season!

#48 Posted by AmazingWebHead (1677 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a wild guess I'm going with: the show could feature young Leia growing into the person we see in EpIV

#49 Edited by Provehito (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I chuckled. So true.

#50 Edited by mattwing87 (426 posts) - - Show Bio

It'll be 2 years before I can see this show since I don't have Disney XD :(

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.