His home world in a brutal civil war, Razer joined the militia to fight for his cause only to return to find his wife, Ilana, killed. He was visited by Atrocitus of the Red Lantern Corps and made a member.
Razer would eventually disapprove of the Red Lanterns disregard for life and defect, joining forces with the Green Lanterns Hal Jordan, Kilowog and Aya.
Razer is taken as a prisoner by Hal Jordan and his crew, after trying to destroy a planet with the Red Lanterns. They left him in the prision the Guardians recomended, but they found out it was place where they tortured prisoners. Aya frees Razer from the reality simulator he was chained to and he, warned by her, saves Hal and Kilowog from the fury of the prision administrators. He ends up as a member of the crew, although formally he is there as their prisoner.
During his last visit to the Red Lanterns base (to recharge his ring), he is confronted by their leader, Atrocitus, who is aware of his involvement with the Green Lanterns. Atrocitus reveals that he was the one responsable for Alana's death. He saw great potential in Razer, but he knew she would be a hindrance to his development as a warrior.
Razer defeats his former leader and would be ready to kill him if Aya didn't stop him by saying they needed to get out of the base before it was destroyed.
He oficially switches sides, but the anger in his heart is still too strong, forcing him to keep his red ring.
While he is with Hal and his crew, he becomes intimate with Aya, who reminds him of his late wife.
In season 2, the crew finds Razer training with the Blue Lanterns. He tells them the "angry Razer" was responsible for great evil and now he is trying to become someone else, "someone less angry".
When one of the ManHunters attacks Aya, though, his anger grows so strong that he gets his red ring powers back, destroying the machine. He catches Aya and apologizes for what he has said earlier about robots not having a soul. He says she has more of a soul than he would ever have.
He ends up leaving with Hal and his crew. Saint Walker says there is still too much anger within him and that he would always have a place among the Blue Lanterns if he chose so. He nods and tells him his path is elsewhere. Aya and him exchange a glance before entering the ship.
When Sinestro asks the crew for help with a criminal, he berates the fact that Hal and Kilowog keep Razer among them. Hal defends him, saying he has done good things since he switched sides. Sinestro, however, does not seem convinced.
By the end of the series, he sets off on a solitary quest to find Aya, who died in a effort to stop the ManHunters. Hal and Kilowog say he can call them if he ever needs help.
As he flies through space, a blue ring follows him, indicating he will be the next member of the Blue Lantern Corps.
Razer was once married to Ilana, his true love who died in the hands of Atrocitus.
At first he only called her "machine" or "robot", but they get closer and he starts to see her as more than that. She is the one who gets to see his kindest side, even though he threw angry words against her every a couple of times in the past.
Aya is the closest friend he has in the crew and her physical form reminds him of his wife.
Razer struggles with the feelings he has for the robot and is reluctant to move forward with the relationship.
When Aya ia attacked by the Anti-Monitor, Razer says he loves her before she gets destroyed. When she returns to the ship, however, he denies his feelings, causing her to block all emotions from her system.
By the end of the series, Razer tries to kill her, but in the last second his rage is gone. Aya attacks him, but immediately regrets it. She gives up her plan to start over the universe and uses her powers to cure him. He then says there is only love between them.
Aya has to delete the Aya program with a virus to stop the ManHunters which were once under her control. Before dying, she says she has the feeling that it would not be the last time they would see each other. Believing in that promise, Razer sets off to search for her across the universe.
Hal is the Green Lantern who trusts Razer the most after bringing him to the ship.
He has to give a little help to his relationship with Aya every once in a while, but he does not seem to be bothered.
He always steps up for Razer when someone says he should not be trusted or doubt his value.
They are always teasing each other but they end up building a friendship filled with mutual concern and respect.
Kilowog wants to join Razer in his search for Aya, but he says he would only slow him down. He extended his hand to greet his friend, but the big guy hugs him. Razer retributes the gesture, quietly.
He was Razer's mentor during his training with the Blue Lanterns and, as such, knows about Razer's tragic past. Walker realizes that the loss of Razer's wife, Ilana, is the driving force behind his rage. Because of this, he helps Razer understand the key to coming to terms with the death of Ilana is in managing his rage. He does this through meditation.
Powers and Abilities
Razer is a bearer of the Red Lantern Ring and has all the powers that come with it. The abilities the ring grants him are:
- Animating: A Red Lantern can will things to move how he wants.
- Caustic Effect: Red Lantern power can damage and drain away the power of other lanterns almost like a poison. For example green lanterns who survive a Red Lantern attack will begin to lose power from the almost napalm like attacks of Red Lanterns.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Lanterns.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time. While Red Lanterns have no costume code they all are red and black with the Red Lantern symbol displayed.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. The attacks often come from the mouth from a Red Lantern.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people. Red Lanterns have difficulty creating constructs due to their anger. Razer is very competent in forming constructs of red energy.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Heart Replacement: Red Lantern Rings replace the heart of the lantern who wields them so removing a Red Lantern ring is often fatal without medical attention or the presence of a Blue Lantern. Atrocitus had his heart ripped from his body and was able to return to the fight within seconds since his ring serves as his heart.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cube was used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero.
- Electro-magnetic scanning: The ring can allow(through the use of x rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Wormhole/Warps: The ring can open wormholes to cut down on distance.
Razer was created by Bruce Timm for Green Lantern: The Animated Series.