Follow

Raven

Character » Raven appears in 1730 issues.

Raven battles the forces of evil alongside her adoptive family, the Teen Titans while trying to control her baser, antagonistic instincts she inherited from her demonic father, Trigon.

Why was Raven gray in the animated series?

HannahRoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HannahRoth

In the animated Teen Titans series both Raven and Jinx had a gray skin complexion instead of there usual light brown hue, is there a reason for that? I know that there were modifications made to suit a younger audience and prevent animation glitches like Gizmo not having a beard and Jinx actually having hair but why would Raven or Jinx's skin color change?

RedHood16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RedHood16

They had to make things different for kids. For example; they gave Starfire more clothing because of her... less clothing. For Raven and Jinx, I believe they wanted two gothic kind of teen girls, and to have an opposite to the colorful Starfire (figuratively and literally)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 2

Because it's anime and anime and superheroes never mix well, in my opinion

WHiTEWiNG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WHiTEWiNG
    @RedHood16 said:
    "They had to make things different for kids. For example; they gave Starfire more clothing because of her... less clothing. For Raven and Jinx, I believe they wanted two gothic kind of teen girls, and to have an opposite to the colorful Starfire (figuratively and literally) "

And they chagned Deathstrokes name to his real name Slade. 
    Because it wasn't good for the children.
    jagged glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By jagged glass
    @WHiTEWiNG:
    I reckon it's the reaction to 9/11 and the following wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Before then you had all these cartoon masterpieces with Batman, Superman, Static Shock and Batman Beyond. You notice they were intended for kids, but were unafraid to take on topics like death, guns and drug abuse. After 9/11, Teen Titans comes out all "kiddified," and not following in the veins of, say, Static Shock. Same goes for all other cartoons. It was a psychological scar that Americans will never get over, and so they are trying to relive a fictionalised past where everything is rosy, green and candy flavoured, where all ends well, nothing is complicated, and all shadows are banished.  
    My opinion, anyway. Could b e wrong, but to me, it's beyond coincidence. 
    redtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By redtha

The cartoon made plenty of random changes, most of which made no sense. Raven and Jinx aren't the only ones that changed looks.  Some others were altered quite a bit as well.

Pantha went from being a catgirl to a wrestler. I heard it was because they didn't want to use a 'furry' despite already having (Baby) Wildebeest. Not to mention they created a catgirl for the movie so there's no reason they couldn't have used a pre-existing one in the cartoon.  Wildebeest himself was also changed quite a bit. 

A huge change in appearance was Killer Moth. Which was actually good IMO.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Magian

I think they did it to look more inhuman.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By DH69

cause she was deep.

redtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By redtha
     @ComicMan24 said:
    " I think they did it to look more inhuman. "
    But Jinx is human. And for Raven why not red skin like in the comics?
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Magian
    @Redtha:
    For Jinx, I don't know maybe they wanted to make her look something like goth. As for Raven, I remember reading somewhere that they did it to make her look more inhuman.
    Tomokata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tomokata

It call comes down to the same question raised when people ask "why did they change x?" 

Because the creators thought it would be cooler.

redtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By redtha
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " @Redtha: For Jinx, I don't know maybe they wanted to make her look something like goth. As for Raven, I remember reading somewhere that they did it to make her look more inhuman. "
    The goth thing is stupid. At least Raven's change makes sense if that's the reason, though makes me wonder what they'd have done to give the other half-human Titans inhuman appearances.
    scourgexlvii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scourgexlvii

I think its done more to be 'interesting' and sets her as non-human, off the bat, without having to go into her rather convoluted background, so that when they did get into the deal with her demonic father, the viewers would buy into it quicker, rather than scratching their heads, and thinking 'Wait a minute! I thought she was human? or if not human, some simple 'no explanation needed' alien, like starfire.' 

zero man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By zero man

thats not grey

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Cherry Bomb

Giving her a pale and grey-ish complexion made her more of a 'teen goth' like they were going for. I liked the fact she was change in that way, her character looked more magical and cool.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Eyz

Anime tend to have lots of random colors anyway, be it on the skin or the hair of characters..
    So they turned her into an anime goth, you know, with blue hair and grey skin! :P

babywix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By babywix

I really don't mind the gray skin. I actually think it suited Raven in the animated series. You know, there's that whole emo feel to here because she can't feel anything because then her powers go out of control... so I think the gray skin is pretty much due to her dark persona. It actually looks pretty artistic (I know, weird use of adjectives, but I used this word solely because nothing else can come to my mind right now).
    Again, I don't mind the changed skin at all, because Teen Titans was one of my favorite animated series.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#19  Edited By Outside_85

This it had soemthing to make her claim her own niche of the color spectrum, so she wouldnt have to share with Robin, note that none of them actually share anything in that regard, unlike say, X-Men. You could say the colors they have are all telling of their personalities, Raven is calm and depressed, fitting with the blue and grey (think of how her emotions were colored in her head).
    While i believe the animators thought that Raven's skin could be explained because of her heritage, since her dad was a red skin and her mother pink, what are the odds she would get normal colored skin anways?  
    Also it could be the animators perception of Goth's, but not wanting to make them bone white, settled for grey instead. 

Regarding the comic, the altered skin color would not work, not now at least, if it was to be, it would have needed to have been part of the NTT as well. Now it would just be seen by old time fans as more catering for the cartoon audience, which has already made of both Beastboy and Raven by pairing them together. Something that never existed before the cartoon, but then again post-ressurection Raven only acted like NTT Raven in the panel where she was about to leave teh team after they saved her from Brother Blood the first time.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the gray skin goth look better than normal Raven.

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitewing: why can't they just call the terminator instead of slade. It could be better if they had him unmask in the first place

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanx2005: Partly because 'Deathstroke' isn't kid-friendly and the worry that 'the Terminator' will confuse people with Arnolds robot.

Avatar image for seekerofthetruth
    SeekerOfTheTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They made every character in the Teen Titans animated series opposite to their comic counterpart.

DCDoll666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

If you'll notice, each Titan in the animated series had a different skin tone. It probably had layers of simple color coding with the addition of being an exaggeration that can be remembered as pale white skin (Kind of like how people remember Mr. Burn's blue hair as grey on the Simpsons).

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do mind the skin I just wish someone would just make her suffer

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bystander
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: What!? It really is hard to believe you know...

Avatar image for endicotttheseal
    endicotttheseal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By endicotttheseal

So the girls had team Edward or other guy Who I forget the name of... Moving on... And the boys had Raven or Jinx, and got their necrophilia on... the rest is dirty sock... :1 Goodbye, Farewell, Au Revoir, Adios. We hope U enjoid THU SHOW... THANK U, MY FRIEND, We'll get U in the end.... We hope 2 C u UGENN :1

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like her Gray skin !

Kurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Kurk
    modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm use to seeing her with gray skin

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now, I wouldn't be opposed to her gaining a more unique skin coloration since most of her artists now a days appear to favor showing her face rather than hiding it away in the shadows of her hood. Admittedly right now she'd probably need to suffer somekind of trauma for that to happen or some weird story to be told that her normal appearance had been somekind of illusion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.